It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Another OB, ALREADY?!?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
    CloudySkies
    (female)

CloudySkies HB User
    Exclamation Another OB, ALREADY?!?!

Time frames:

- June 17th broke up with my boyfriend I was with for 3 mths
    - had sex only 3 times, the last 6 weeks were together
    - last intimate moment was approx. June 9th

- August 12th I was intimate with my new partner
    - 48 hrs hrs later I experienced fever, chills, aches/pains, extreme fatigue (slept for a day and a half)
    - had urinary pain on and off
    - August 17/18 was intimate again with my partner
    - within 24 hrs or so the pain during urination was worse, along with trace blood when wiping
    - began having fever/chills, aches/pains once again
    - August 20th we were intimate again
    - the flu like symptoms continued on and off
    - August 22/23rd two small red sores (that did not blister) appeared just outside the gential area, close to inner thigh
    - aches and pain began down my right leg
    - August 23rd went to walk-in clinic after work, urine sample showed trace blood and was treated for urinary tract infection...at this time no visual exam was done.
    - August 24th went to Non-emergency at the hospital where a visual and internal exam were done (swab of the sores and cervical cultures)
    - was sent home w/Famvir prescription for susp. of Herpes.
    - August 25th a few more sores appeared now on the left side same area w/pain down the left leg.
    - August 28th one last redish rash with 4-5 tiny little bumps on it appeared with throbbing pain down the left leg shortly after.
    - August 30/31 sores began to heal and symptoms were definitely fading
    - September 9 (give or take a day) all signs of sores were healed/gone and all other symptoms

- September 15th experiencing a strange sort of tingling/itching and dry sensation in the genital area...yet I wasn't "dry" and it's wasn't really a tingling sensation, hard to explain...just know that I hadn't had that before.
    - September 16th began having pain from my lower right side of the back moving downward into the muscle of the buttocks (is how it felt) down the back of my right leg.
    - within 3 hrs or so of this feeling becoming more and more intense (had to take 400mg x2 of Ibuprophen for pain relief) I realized, holy crap!....I should check the "area"
    - and there they were!! 2 very small (thankfully) blisters very close beside each other within a 1/2 inch or less of the initial red sores that first appeared August 22/23rd.
    - I immediately called my Dr., a prescription was called in for Valtrex (this time), had the first does that evening (Sept 16)
    - took Ibuprohen for 2 days to help with some aches
    - had no fever/chills this time...and though the sores immediately showed as blisters this time, they were only sore to the touch the first 24 hrs
    - Valtrex meds are done (took last dose yesterday morning)

- September 20th (today) the two blisters are now little open sores that are healing...no pain, aches, etc.
    - I figure the sores should be healed and gone within next 3 days or so

Now....I have 2 questions:

1) Is all this normal for an initial outbreak and then have another one immediately after the first one?

2) Is there anyway this virus could have come from my "ex" I broke up with in June, or this most likely from the most current?

(FYI - blood test results came back September 1st - IgM positive, IgG negative. I live in Canada where we don't have type specific testing as yet)

Can anyone offer some clarity? All responses are welcome....

Last edited by CloudySkies; 09-20-2006 at 09:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User
    Re: Another OB, ALREADY?!?!

as for question 1 the answer is a definate YES! In fact you may have one OB after another for quite some time or you may be one of the lucky ones and the OBs will stop...let's hope for the latter!

Question 2: Really there is NO way to know...your new BF could go and have the blood test done...but without type specific test it's not a whole lot of use! I'm kinda thinking that since your blood test IgG came back negative then you just were infected. But still, for some it can take a year for enough antibodies to show up for a positive test result. It's just really a guessing game...if all of a sudden your new BF starts to have OBs then you can probably assume that he's now caught it from you which would mean that he didn't give it to you. So does he say that he's never had any kind of red spots or gets easily irritated after sex or anything? For my BF that gave it to me...he'd get a raw spot after sex or masturbation and never put two and two together and thought that was herpes. Sometimes he'd just get a tiny postule and didn't think anything about it, it would go away in about a week. My BF can sometimes be clueless about stuff though! He never worrys about anything or spends a whole lot of time thinking about stuff Kind of the typical guy sort of behavior

From reading your story...I'd have to say that it sounds 100% like typical herpes behavior and I'd be 100% convinced that you do in fact have genital herpes!

Old 09-22-2006, 03:16 PM   #3
    CloudySkies
    (female)

CloudySkies HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by keepsgoin
    So does he say that he's never had any kind of red spots or gets easily irritated after sex or anything? For my BF that gave it to me...he'd get a raw spot after sex or masturbation and never put two and two together and thought that was herpes.

From reading your story...I'd have to say that it sounds 100% like typical herpes behavior and I'd be 100% convinced that you do in fact have genital herpes!
    Thanks for the reply back....

Actually neither of the two men I’ve been with these past 6 mths displayed any visual physical symptoms and both have indicated that they’ve never experienced sores or blisters or any other physical symptom for that matter (or so they thought obviously). I never noticed anything unusual or suspicious on them either….and believe me, I do scan/check prior to anything goin on and there was nothing (and they both shaved in and around that “area” so it’s not like there was anything preventing a clear view – trying not to be too graphic).

The one I was with in August didn't seem to care that I was diagnosed with this and didn't seem to care to use condoms, therefore exposing himself "willingly" to the virus....that is highly suspect! I of course would NOT allow this...I mean holy crap, I wasn't even completely healed and over my initial outbreak!! And we've since broken up (about 3 weeks ago) rather abruptly and NOT AT ALL on good terms (and interestingly enough, had nothing to do with my recent diagnosis of herpes!). I know he had not gone for testing when I was still dating him even after I told him of my results and likely still hasn't.

What I did notice and find some what strange with regard to my ex (that I broke up with in June) is that he seemed to go through periods where he had groin pain with pain moving down his one leg. I never paid enough attention to it to keep tabs on when this would happen, but it seemed to be bothersome and painful for him on average about once a month, lasting any where from 3-5 days (but was more painful for him the first couple days and was worse when he was under big stress).

He noticed it started happening about 3+ yrs ago and approached his Dr. with it, but was told it was likely inflammation from an old groin pull/muscle pull and was left at that. However, he has been separated from his wife for just over a year now but prior to this (which lead to asking for a divorce) he found out his wife had been unfaithful the last 2-3 yrs they were together. Nice eh! Anyway, she admitted to 4 affairs during that time frame but he has no idea how many there really were or for that matter for how long she had been cheating.

He soon afterward went to see his Dr. asking for a full STD screening….all results came back negative. However, in light of my recent "news" he went in for blood testing for the virus as he found out he was not tested for it when he went in for STD screening - his blood work was almost 2 weeks ago now. He hadn't heard anything back so he called his Dr.'s office and was then told that the guy only works 2-3 days a week - he was told that just this past Tuesday. The nurse pulled his chart and proceeded to tell him she'd schedule him for an appt. this coming Monday. Thing is, his Dr. was going to be in the office again before Monday so why would they need to schedule him for an appt. if -

A) the results are negative - because they'd be back already
    OR
    B) if they're negative the Dr. could have or would have just called him to tell him over the phone

Yes, does this make sense? Or would a Dr. leave you hanging knowing the results are negative just to see you personally to actually "say" they're negative? So of course now he's totally freaken out! Flippin Dr.'s! Me and my ex are on very good terms, he's one of the best men I've ever known...so even if it turns out he does have the virus, it makes no difference to me or how I feel about him.

Anyway, I noticed back in May I was beginning to get a lot of headaches and feeling over-all exhausted and out of sorts. I was having strange tingling sensations in my feet but there was no swelling but they’d kind of get red in colour - was very bizarre. My Dr. said it was likely stress and that was that. Around this same time frame (May/June) I also seemed to begin experiencing some pain/discomfort here and there when urinating (but have had a history of UTI's in the past) so the Dr. and I assumed it was a UTI and it was treated as such. Then this seemed to get worse around late July and then the fever/chills started around mid Aug and then the sores broke out (first ones appearing) August 22 – 23rd.

This is why I’m not so sure of whether or not the virus came from the recent one I was dating in August. The swab was taken August 23rd with a positive result and the blood work came back positive for the IgM and negative for the IgG. Could there be a possibility that this virus came from my ex that I was with March/April/May and June? (fyi – we didn’t become intimate until late April and were only intimate 3-4 times with the last time being mid June I believe).

Last edited by CloudySkies; 09-22-2006 at 03:44 PM.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:06 AM   #4
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

Your EX having that groin pain and leg pain monthly sounds very suspicious to me...you have to realize that our preconceived notion of what herpes is like is false!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't stress that enough. And then what you describe about in May how you had the headaches, exhausted, tingling pain in feet and feeling like you have a UTI are definately herpes symptoms...take it from someone that had pretty much those same exact symptoms. The doctor can easily diagnose you as having a UTI because most likely there will be blood in that urine sample!!!!! It's just from the herpes though. I really believe that unless a doctor is an expert on herpes then they will not recognize symptoms such as tingling feet and burning urination as herpes...and unless they have experienced that for themselves!!!!! And also, remember that PEOPLE LIE! Just because they say they have never had anything doesn't mean that they haven't ever had anything! That's like the person that swears that they have never been unfaithful even after they've been caught red handed!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM   #5
    CloudySkies
    (female)

CloudySkies HB User

So you had a similar experience before you actually found out you had the virus?

If you don't mind me picking your brain a little more....

With regard to my IgG test (mine was a non-specific type test), if I was actually exposed to the virus in say mid to late May/June sometime, is it possible that the IgG results (my blood was drawn August 28th or 29th) would come back negative (as mine did)?

In all the reading I've done and all I've read in this forum and others, it seems the antibodies specific for the IgG test can take up 12 weeks (and sometimes longer) before they'll show, giving a positive result, correct? Or am I mistaken?

I'm curious to know if you can have some symptoms of the virus (like the headaches, tingling feet, fatigue and foggy head, etc.) before the sores/blisters appear? Could it be that I was experiencing symptoms as early as May/June but didn't actually have a full outbreak (or I guess it's called the initial outbreak) until August 22/23 when the sores first appeared along with fever/chills/aches/pains getting much worse?

Still trying to get my head around all this stuff....the timing, the symptoms, the timing of the tests, etc.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #6
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

You can certainly take longer than 12 weeks to have a positive blood test. Some people can take quite a while...also, there are false negatives. If you have had all those symptoms and then broke out in sores too, I really don't see much doubt that what you have is herpes! I had those type symptoms way before I broke out in my first herpes OB. At the time I had no idea that what I was experiencing had anything to do with herpes, I really thought that I just had a bladder infection or that I was fixing to get a bladder infection. I was drinking Cranberry juice and trying to drink lots of water. I was having slight symptoms for several months before my first "real" OB.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
    CloudySkies
    (female)

CloudySkies HB User

I'm so confused...don't know what my body is doing??

When I had my first (initial o/b) last month, I did not have sores on the anal/rectal area...I did have a few sores in the area between the vaginal opening and anus, but not on the anal opening itself. I had posted this thread orginally asking if it's normal to have another o/b so soon after the initial one, but now it seems this recurrent o/b is worse than I had thought.

The two blisters that appeared just outside the vaginal area 9-10 days ago are almost entirely healed now and I've had no pain or discomfort with them since the day they broke out (reminder - I took my first dose of Valtrex about 12 hrs or so after the blisters appeared - was a prescription for recurrent dose, 3 days worth). However, about 5-6 days ago I began having kind of a burning sensation around the anal area, almost felt like I had a rash or something and there was a wee bit of redness but I couldn't see anything when I checked (i.e. sores/blisters). Then I thought, well it can't herpes rash/lesion because I didn't even have anal sex!! I'm careful as well when I'm wiping and even more so as I had the two blisters that broke open and were starting the healing process.

Then 3 or so days ago it started stinging more and was getting worse rather than better....then this evening after going to the bathroom and having a stinging burning sensation while wiping, there was a little blood on the TP. I checked the area again and now there does seem to be one (possibly two) little open sore(s) at the anal opening (this I couldn't see until tonight). I thought maybe it was a fischer or something to do with hemorrhoids(sp?) but when there's been a little blood before there's been no visual sore I could see, was always from a tear more on the inside and never had a burning sensation before when wiping the area, as I seem to right now. The one sore that I can see for sure is not large, it's rather small but it is definitely an open sore, not a blister.

Is this from the herpes and if so, why am I getting a sore/lesion there now when it wasn't there during the first o/b? And why am I getting one now when I took Valtrex Sunday/Monday/Tuesday of last week and the two blisters that did appear (in the same spot as the very first ones) are almost entirely healed and gone? Is this part of the same o/b from last weekend or is this a different one again....and already?!!

I hate this!! I was beginning to feel better about all this, dealing with it the best I can.....but it's not going so well these past couple days.

Even after my recurrent o/b that started last Saturday (10 days ago) I was feeling positive still. Now my spirits are down, way down. I'm trying to fight off a cold as well that I was hit with this past Friday (which also seems to be around the time my anal area started feeling worse) and on top of it, because of what ever's goin on in that area, I'm in pain and don't know what to do to relieve this pain? If it is a herpes lesion, I just don't know why it's not healing or feeling better yet???....it starting burning about 5 days ago already and it's worse tonight, not better....

Last edited by CloudySkies; 09-25-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Closed Thread