It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Confused...can doctor have misdiagnosed me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
    akalei
    (female)

akalei HB User
    Confused...can doctor have misdiagnosed me?

So I was diagnosed with Herpes 3.5 years. Anyways the only symptoms/breakout I have ever had was when I first got it. It cleared up within a week of first getting it after I saw the doctor. Since then in the 3.5 years I have never had any symptons or outbreaks at all.
    I have had a boyfriend for 2.5 years now. He knows all about it, and we are getting married now in August, and he always says he doesnt care if I gave it to him cause there have been many times we have not used a condom cause Im on birth control. (mostly nights we were drunk. Which is stupid cause I would die if he got it)
    I keep making him get checked for STDS and stuff, and everytime he does he comes back fully clean.
    It makes no sense cause if I have it why hasn't he gotten it yet? (not that I want him to get it) Does it take a while for it to come? Cause when I got it 3.5 years ago it was not even a couple days after having sex with my ex. And I mean my boyfriend have been together 2.5 years now. Even he was wondering.
    Also I have been reading that some people have been misdiagnosed. Im thinking I should be re checked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: Confused...can doctor have misdiagnosed me?

I would suggest you both get retested. Studies have shown a doctor's visual diagnosis can be wrong (either way) 30% of the time.

A standard STD examine doesn't include a herpes test. Just because they say you're clean for STD's doesn't mean you were tested for Herpes. You have to ask for a herpes test. If a person is tested for herpes then they can ask for copies of the results.

The correct herpes test is an IgG type specific bloodtest, HerpeSelect is the most common in the US. Skim the older IgM test, those results are worthless and a waste of time and money.

It's very easy to go 2.5 years without passing the virus. The transmission rates of a female to male is about 4% each year. Restating that, there's a 96% chance each year a male will not get infected.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
    Audrey-B
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
    Re: Confused...can doctor have misdiagnosed me?

What type of herpes were you diagnosed with, type 1 or 2? Type one has been known to flare up once and rarely come back again for quite a number of people so if it is type one that you have then that could explain you not having repeat o/b's and less chances of him catching it. By all means get tested again as that would stop your worry and at least you would know where you stand.

Closed Thread