It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Oral Herpes or Canker Sores from oral sex?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
    generic1134
    (male)

generic1134 HB User
    Question Oral Herpes or Canker Sores from oral sex?

Here is the situation... the terrible situation.

My girlfriend (ex-girlfriend now) was on spring break in mexico, hooked up with a guy, made out with him and then gave him oral sex. 3 days later she started getting lots of little bumps on the inside of her mouth (inside of her lips). The bumps are rather small and do the while "white ring" look, just like canker sores, in reality i don't see how they can not be canker sores from the looks of them.

They are not on any hard areas of the mouth, only inside of the lips. She has nothing on the outside of her lips, no crusting... She does however have flu like symptoms (throwing up, fever, etc) She went to her OBGYN and got tested for a bunch of STDs and will find out Friday. The Dr. dident give too much insight as to what it might end up being, but gave her an anti-viral in the mean time.

Ive read alot about the differences between cold sores and canker sores. They all say the same thing, outside of mouth herpes, inside canker sores... i just want to know what is going on in this case. It's almost like she got herpes, but in canker sore form (not possible right?)

It just seems like this is herpes, hv-2... except they are not on the outside of the lips... is this just a very crazy coincidence? Do herpes ever randomly happen on the inside of the mouth? This just seems too much like an STD to not be one.

Thanks for any advice, or help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #2
    generic1134
    (male)

generic1134 HB User
    Re: Oral Herpes or Canker Sores from oral sex?

Bump? No one have any insight?

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
    the_rajah
    (male)

the_rajah HB User
    There's no diagnosis over the Internet..

and I'm not a health care professional enyway, but I'm betting that it's not herpes. Almost any STD can be transmitted orally. Here's link that explains. [url]http://daily.stanford.***/article/2005/1/20/oralSexNotAsSafeAsYouMightThink[/url]

Let us know what she finds out.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
    generic1134
    (male)

generic1134 HB User

thanks for the replys.

i did a search and could not find anything, but i will try again.

thanks for any feedback

Old 03-22-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
    stasis4
    (female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

Though oralherpes type 2 is rare, i read of several other ppl getting it . U can find atleast 3 more posts on this right here at healthboards. the sad part is it does recur, usually
    during periods of stress, menstruation etc

Your GF shud get the "Herpes Select" blood test done cause that is the most reliable test for herpes -other tests often miss the infection. also, many physicians are very ignorant about the details of herpes . and oral type 2 being rare, most physicians won't know about it, instead diagnosing them as canker sores.

Last edited by stasis4; 07-23-2007 at 09:17 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM   #6
    braizzle
    (female)

braizzle HB User

my thought on this is... definately get her tested. but also, if the blisters showed up after only 3 days, its not very likely for it to be hsv. it usually takes time for the symptoms to develop, and on average its about 2 weeks. But of course there are always exceptions. It could be something else. But as for the hsv2 on the insided of mouth versus hsv1 on the outside... I've never heard of that before... interesting

Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
    stasis4
    (female)

stasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB Userstasis4 HB User

the type 1 and 2 viruses are genetically 99% similar, with type 1 preferring the facial area
    first and type 2 preferring the genitals. however both types do crossover and now there is alot of genital hsv1. oral hsv2 is rarer and it is speculated because since alot of people have facial hsv1, it gets them a degree of immunity against mouth hsv2. inside the mouth though, hsv is not as severe
    but it can recur , if not as often . Since ur ex girlfriend had flu like symptoms
    and little bumps, there is a pretty good chance it is herpes. She shud get the "Herpes Select" blood test done as it is more reliable than the other herpes tests. Also she shud get it done maybe not earlier than 5 months from the time of her first symptoms because any sooner done and her body may not have enuf antibodies to show up in the test, thus giving a false negative. if she doesn't have a previous history of canker sores, then the coincidence of flu like symptoms and blisters after oral sex is significant.

Also, in my humble opinion, oral sex seems no safer than genital sex simply because there is the same risk for contracting stds in the mouth as in the genitals. the mouth and the genital areas are very structurally similar because they both have alot of mucosal surface areas and thus can harbor viruses and bacteria as easily.
    Unfortunately the widespread belief that oral sex is safer is a dangerous myth.

if ur ex girlfriend gets a sore throat with the blisters , that is another hint that it might be caused by the herpes virus. ofcourse the blisters may be caused by some other std alternately, but blisters are often seen with herpes, and herpes is very widespread.

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
    generic1134
    (male)

generic1134 HB User

Well she got back her tests and they came out negative across the board (she had multiple std tests)

but not im worried because you guys mentioned the more specific HSV test, im going to find out what form of test she got taken.

what are the chances of getting oral hsv2 if there is no outbreak?

I'll keep you guys up to date, and again, thanks for the input.

Closed Thread