It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Question about Transmission!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #1
    coffeeandtv
    (female)

coffeeandtv HB User
    Question Question about Transmission!!

Hello Everyone,

I am a 19 year old female and I just recently told the man that I am dating that I have HSV-1 on my genitals. His response was "Nothing is going to stop me from falling in love with you." So THAT was a success!!!

Now, I know that about 50-80% of Americans have HSV-1 and more than half of them are unaware that they even carry the virus because they have no symptoms or the symptoms are so minor that they do not notice.

We are going to go and get a blood test for him to find out if he does or does not carry the HSV-1 virus.

My question is, if he does in fact carry the virus but has no outbreaks or symptoms, will being exposed to my virus CAUSE him to have outbreaks or symptoms? Or does this mean that he already has the virus, so our stress of me giving it to him is in the clear?

I realize I could also give it to him on his genitals but that is less likely because HSV-1 does not prefer the genital region over oral and because he may already has the HSV-1 antibodies in his system.

Thank you so much!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User
    Re: Question about Transmission!!

If he tests positive for HSV-1 you don't have to worry about causing him to get more outbreaks if he already has HSV-1 genitally. You can only be infected once with a virus, and however your body has been reacting to it is what will continue, regardless of having sex with you during an OB.

You should find out though if he has genital HSV-2 because just because you have HSV-1 does not mean you can't get HSV-2 genitally as well from him. However, if HE has HSV-2 genitally and does not have HSV-1 genitally then he needn't worry about getting it from you because having HSV-2 protects from getting HSV-1 genitally. I hope that was clear. Good luck!

Last edited by Oceanus; 07-13-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
    coffeeandtv
    (female)

coffeeandtv HB User

So if he tests positive to having the virus in his blood, even though he has never had an outbreak orally or on his genitals, being intimate with me is safe?

I'm sorry I guess I'm just "double checking."

Old 07-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #4
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

NO NO NO...having hsv2 does not protect against getting hsv1 genitally! They are two different viruses and having one doesn't protect against getting the other...either genitally or orally. This is a problem that some people get into when they don't realize that genital herpes can be either 1 or/and 2 so they will think "well I have genital herpes and he has genital herpes so we can have sex and not worry since we both have GH" but what can happen is one has type 1 and one may have type 2 and then all of a sudden one or both start to have major OBs and can't figure out why, it's because they have infected themselves with the other strain. Something else that really can happen is if he does have hsv1 and he gets exposed to it genitally...he could in fact start having genital OBs...this is not real common but it is not impossible. I know this because of what happened to me with my husband. He gave me GH 2 and before we realized what was going on, he had oral sex with me and the next thing you know he starts getting horrible facial OBs that he had never in his life gotten before. I do know that I definitely got it from him...no question...even found out later that his EX has had GH for years so that's who HE got it from. Again, this is not the typical thing to happen but know that it's not impossible.

Last edited by keepsgoin; 07-14-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
    writercll
    (female)

writercll HB User

It seems the more I read, the more confused I get. My bf has type 1 oral. I was recently diagnosed with genital type 2. We assumed I got it from him during oral sex (been together 7 years). You mean if I have type 2 and he has type 1 I didn't get it from him? I haven't been with anyone else for about a bazillion years (it seems that way, anyhow), and I know he's been straight with me. Am I getting this right?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

Well depends on if you are sure that you have 2 and he has 1 or are you assuming that the mouth obs are 1 and genitals are 2? If your BF does absolutely not have type 2 then you did not get it from him and you run the risk of infecting him sometimes in the future. But unless you have had the BLOOD test run to tell you which type you have...um...I think a culture can also specify whether it's type 1 or 2...I can't remember for 100% sure though...but you can't be sure if it's type 1 or 2 without a proper diagnosis. Genital herpes can be type 1 or 2 and oral herpes can be either type 1 or 2. BTW...herpes is quite confusing! Most doctors don't even know what to tell their patients. Chances are you have genital herpes from his cold sores but you probably have type 1...that is unless you had a blood test done and know it's certainly type 2.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #7
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User

I just want to follow-up to Keepsgoin assertion that what I wrote is wrong. Well, NO, NO, No I am not wrong! If I am wrong then surely Ms. Teri Warren is wrong as well because what I wrote is based on what she said. I recently read in a Q&A online that if someone has been diagnosed with Type 2 genital herpes the antibodies made are sufficient to protect against any possible future infections from Type 1 genital herpes. However, the same is not true when reversed. That is, the antibodies made from type 1 genital herpes does NOT protect against type 2 genital herpes!! Please use researched information first next time before denouncing what I say. Going solely based on your own experience did not prove you right because it was irrelevant to what I was saying.

BTW, Teri Warren also says you can usually only spread herpes to other parts of your own body during the first initial OB when your body's immune system responses are low. That's probably when you spread herpes to your hand. And did you get a culture done of your husband's facial OBs to prove whether they were caused by type 2 herpes that he'd given to you and then got from you onto his face? Maybe he was merely very stressed out from all the herpes discussions with you and he had a very bad OB of type 1 oral herpes. Does he still get horrible facial OBs? Because what I've also read is that if he happened to have been infected on his face too by type 2 herpes, well it doesn't live very well above the waistline so he would eventually stop having OBs caused by type 2. Hope that helps with your own understanding better.

Last edited by Oceanus; 07-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
    keepsgoin
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

keepsgoin HB User

And yes you certainly are WRONG! I'm quite sure I've done way more research about the subject. There is no immunity to either type of herpes if you have the other strain. Period...end of story! They are two seperate viruses!

I have a very good understanding of herpes and I have read probably every piece of info I can find and yes I've read Teri Warren's information too! I believe what is said is that it can reduce the risk of catching(almost never happens is actually how it IS worded) the other strain of herpes but it is not a guarantee! UNTIL someone says "it cannot happen" then I am going to assume that I'm going to be the minority that it's going to happen to!

Last edited by keepsgoin; 07-15-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
    Oceanus
    Veteran
    (female)

Oceanus HB User

Why don't you go and do your own Q&A online since you think you've read everything there is imaginable on the subject? Better yet write a book since you know so much. Why the heck are you even writing on here since you know so darn much and can't be helped with anyone else's advice? Certainly when it comes to science and life one can never say "never" or "that cannot ever happen" 100% of the time, because yes there usually are a few rare exceptions. Like there are a couple cases of getting HIV from kissing, but does that stop people from kissing complete strangers because they're afraid of getting HIV, nope! The poster asked for some reasonable advice, so I gave her reasonable advice that holds true 99% of the time! You needn't always argue with everything just because you don't know as much as you thought.

Herpes 1 & 2 are 99% identical. Wouldn't it make sense that if your body makes antibodies to one of those types that maybe the antibody could defend against the other type, too? I'm really not asking here, I'm telling you that's what happens. Why antibodies to type 1 genital don't protect against type 2 genital, that I don't know, logically it probably has something to do with that 1% difference between the types genetically.

Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 AM   #10
    writercll
    (female)

writercll HB User

Thanks for the info, Keepsgoin. I was diagnosed with a culture test during an ob, but doubt he's actually ever had a test, since he's gotten cold sores since he was a little kid. Got them from his mother, I'm sure. She used to get them all the time. I think he just assumed it's type 1 because he gets them on his nose. Appreciate your help.

Closed Thread