It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Inconsistent Test Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-24-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
    brigitteblues
    (female)

brigitteblues HB User
    Inconsistent Test Results

On the 6th I was tested for herpes. I had sex with my partner the Thursday before. A few days after I started burning during urination. It kept getting worse. By the 6th I had lesions, which were extremely painful. Prior to us having sex, he had complained of burning during urination. A few days after we had sex I suggested unsweetened cranberry juice in case it was just a UTI. It didn't work. He experienced some discharge also.

My IgG test result came back negative, but a culture came back positive. I was told it meant I was recently infected. I have only been with one person in the past 7 months.

My partner was tested about two weeks later. His initial IgG test came back between equivocal to positive. It was a judgment call, so the lab just said positive. When they went to do a type specific test for him, both came back negative. They redid the IgG and it was negative.
    He was tested a second time with a different lab, but I don't know what type of test was done. This also came back negative.

we have been together for 7 months. My previous partner and I had been together 4 years. Until now I have never had any symptoms. He has not had any either. I understand it is a virus you can have and be asymptomatic, but I don't understand how it is not showing up on the blood test if I have carried the virus for over 7 months.

I did not react well and possibly have pushed him away completely. We received conflicting information from the same doctor. The person giving us the lab results was extremely judgmental and placed blame, initially upon him, then upon me.

I know I have not been with anyone else since May. I really do not believe he has been with anyone else either. I am extremely worried because we had unprotected sex after my lesions healed during the time they were telling us his test was positive.

How is this possible? I am going to have my test redone. Someone suggested a PCR test as well. I cannot get it done until Wednesday because of the holiday. I just hope I can find a doctor who can give some sort of explanation.

In the meantime, I am just terrified. The emotional pain is the worst. I don't even have an outbreak right now, but I can't eat. I'm depressed. And I have no idea how I contracted it, when I contracted it, or if my lab results are correct.

I know a false-positive culture is pretty rare, so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
    catharine101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

catharine101 HB User
    Re: Inconsistent Test Results

A positive culture test is incredibly rare. You can count on that result being correct. Your doctor is also correct in saying that you have a recent infection. This is because your blood test is negative. IgG blood tests are very accurate - they only show up negative if there are not enough anitbodies in your blood to produce a positive result. In other words, a negative result only happens if you don't have the virus, or if you have a recent infection such that your blood hasn't developed anitbodies yet. This means you've contracted the virus within the last 3 - 4 months. If you had had the virus for 7 months, you WOULD show up positive on a blood test. Based on your results, I really don't think you need to be tested again. I have no idea what a PCR test is, but you don't need to waste your money... you are positive (sorry!)

I would get copies of the test results for your boyfriend. If all the tests had come back negative, that would be one thing - but you've gotten mixed results, plus he has shown mild symptoms as well. It's not all that uncommon for doctors to misinterpret results of the tests. Best to get it in written form, and post them. There are lots of people here who are really good at interpreting the results. If your boyfriends blood test really is negative it could be he is suffering from a more recent infection that isn't showing up on blood either.

Try not to play the blame game, unless you have other evidence. Blame is pretty much useless when it comes to this virus. Because most people have no idea that it is so rampant, and how easy it is to spread, and how many people don't even know they have it, it's difficult to blame someone for spreading it.

And a comment about the person giving you your results... It is no one's place to be judgemental about you, especially not a health care worker. Considering the fact that 80% of people have herpes, the chances are good that that person has herpes as well!! I know in Canada that if we receive such treatment from a health care worker, there is a system in place that we can register a formal complaint and precipitate investigation and possibly discplinary action to that health care worker. Regardless of whether you choose to do something like this, be sure that you stand up for yourself. Do not let people be accusatory or place blame on you. Do not let them judge you. You have the right to expect quality, unbiased health care. If you don't get it, stand up for your rights - get mad at them if you need to!! Call in the supervisor! If you sit there and take it, you will only feel worse about your situation - be proactive with your health, and it will help you to deal with and accept the fact that you now have a new health issue to deal with.

Last edited by catharine101; 12-24-2007 at 09:21 AM.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
    brigitteblues
    (female)

brigitteblues HB User

Thanks for the reply. So, now not only am I dealing with the fact that I have it...it means he had to have been with someone else even though he is telling me he hasn't.

Since we have had sex since I tested positive, it's pretty safe to assume he's going to think I cheated when and if he tests positive later. Well, at least he is going to tell me he thinks I did. I know otherwise.

Finding out has been hard, but I have visited this board quite a few times. It's great to know people can and do have healthy, sexual relationships after this. I think it may be time to end my relationship. Not because he gave me herpes, which I could understand if he didn't know, but because he is lying to me about cheating. That, I cannot forgive.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
    catharine101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

catharine101 HB User

Don't jump to conclusions. Make sure you know before you do anything. I'd hate to be the one to have told you your boyfriend is cheating and cause a breakup, especially if he's not!!

Fact is, your results indicate you have a recent infection. If you haven't been with anyone else, then you got it from him. That doesn't necessarily mean he cheated. If he has another blood test, or the blood results he had actually indicate that he is positive and they've just been misinterpreted, then that means that he's had the virus for more than 3 - 4 months. Possibly for years. And very possibly he didn't know about it.

If he doesn't show up positive on a blood test, and he's not showing any more signs, I'd wait for a few months and have him re-tested. If he has acquired the virus recently, then in a couple months he will show positive, and then you'll know it was a recent infection. Of course, at that point it could be that he got it from you and it all boils down to he said she said. You know you haven't been with anyone else, so at that point even I would start to ask some serious quesitons.

Again, the blame game is difficult with this virus unless you have other evidence. For yourself, you got it recently - so from him. When he got the virus may be questionable.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
    brigitteblues
    (female)

brigitteblues HB User

It's been difficult not to jump to conclusions. Because for me, either way it goes I got it from him.

He also refused to get tested again or to give me copies of his test results. He has changed his mind about giving me the copies of the test results, but he still refuses to be tested again. But because of the holiday, I still haven't received the copies of his results.

His entire response to the issue has given me pause and cause for concern. I could continue with the relationship if he didn't know. But his actions seem to indicate otherwise. He isn't willing to learn any information about herpes. He is banking on information given to him by misinformed doctors. When I try to point him in the direction of accurate information, he refuses to read it or consider it.

I have to evaluate is this the type of person I want in my life. It's definitely not. There are supportive people out there. I guess I just have to find mine.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
    catharine101
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

catharine101 HB User

Yeah, I gotta agree. His behaviour seems to indicate that something is "up" - whatever it is. He could simply be in denial and avoiding the issue (I've had herpes for 6 months and still haven't been able to talk to the guy for same reasons) or he could be hiding something. Either way, something's not right.

Sorry it seems to be working out this way. I must admit though, I'm really curious as to his test results. If you do get them, post them.

Closed Thread