It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Test Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
    yooperlab
    (female)

yooperlab HB User
    Test Results

I am so confused about these test results. I had a swab taken of many genital lesions and my GYN was more than sure it was GH.

The swab test for HSV came back negative.

The HSV1 IGG came back 5.40 Range: 0.0-0.80
    THe HSV2 came back <0.9 Range: 0.0-0.8
    HSV Types 1/2 IGM AB <0.8 Range: 0.0-0.7

Do I have this or not? Do I need to follow up with a blood test in 3 months?
    Please help me sort this out.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: Test Results

A negative swab test only means there were no virus particals present at the time and location of the swabbing. It doesn't mean you do not have the virus.

The HSV1 result of 5.40, means you're positive for HSV1. It's also a preexisting case, meaning it not a new infection.

A HSV2 result below .90 mean you're negative for HSV2.

How soon after possible exposure did you get tested? The recommended waiting period is at least 12-16 weeks. If you tested before 16 weeks then you should retest. The longer you wait before retesting, the higher the accuracy of a negative result.

Do research on herpes blood testing. Be aware, if you were just infected, a too soon blood test could show you as negative, but it's possible to transmit the virus to others.

O21

Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
    yooperlab
    (female)

yooperlab HB User
    Re: Test Results

Quote:
    Originally Posted by over21 View Post
    A negative swab test only means there were no virus particals present at the time and location of the swabbing. It doesn't mean you do not have the virus.

The HSV1 result of 5.40, means you're positive for HSV1. It's also a preexisting case, meaning it not a new infection.

A HSV2 result below .90 mean you're negative for HSV2.

How soon after possible exposure did you get tested? The recommended waiting period is at least 12-16 weeks. If you tested before 16 weeks then you should retest. The longer you wait before retesting, the higher the accuracy of a negative result.

Do research on herpes blood testing. Be aware, if you were just infected, a too soon blood test could show you as negative, but it's possible to transmit the virus to others.

O21
    Well, we have been trying to figure this all out b/c my husband and I have been together for 20 years and neither of us has "cheated" on the other but we both did have partners before each other. Nobody that had "known" HSV but an ex girlfriend did have oral coldsores quite often. I have never, ever had any sort of breakout and especially vaginally. I was shocked and so confused. Had burning and tingling on Monday, open sores on Tuesday, and my swab test on Wed. My GYN was so positive this was herpes.......said it looked classic so I can't believe the swab was negative b/c she cultured at least 4 spots. Anyway........I had the blood test done that day so I know that I do need a repeat in about 3 months. My husband is also going for bloodwork to check out his HSV IGG. It is just so confusing cuz' we can't figuer out "how this could possibly happen" and now the results are so inconclusive.
    So.....the high HSV1 isn't concerning? It doesn't mean a 'current infection but a past infection'? I've been reading so much that my head is spinning. I just want a conclusive result and it looks like I am going to have to wait a while to get confirmation of all of this. I guess I wanted someone to just say.......YES, you have this or NO, you don't but it isn't working out that way. UGH!
    The other thing is that my immune system has been compromised lately with stress and I just had some teeth removed and also steroid shots in my neck so as the Dr. put it........"it was the perfect storm." Thanks for your reply!

Closed Thread