It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Just a Yeast Infection???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-06-2003, 04:27 PM   #1
    beartb4ever

beartb4ever HB User
    Question Just a Yeast Infection???

Ok here's the deal-
    I'm one of those people that are prone to yeast. As a girl around 10 I can remember having vaginal yeast problems even then. I also have Tinea Versicolor that comes and goes all over my stomach and back, which is a yeast overgrowth on your skin. I make sure I shower twice a day, stay dry, the usual as any woman who is cautious down there. The last time I had sex was in March with now my ex-bf. I started to get vaginal irritation about a little over a week ago. Nothing I hadn't had before, so i just tried to shower keep clean, and put a bit of vagisil on. This irritation came about a week after my major knee surgery to replace a ligament. I only showered once a day, since it was so hard to get up and move around. I had been on anitbiotics for a week and a half and then on steroids for 6 days because my stupid sensitive skin developed a severe contact dermatitis to the bandage strips on my knee. I had burning down there at first and decided to use a monistat yeast infection cream. The burning went away immediately, but hours after I developed this intense itch that wasnt there before. That is when I started using steroids and it got worse. The cream says most people have complained of an increase in irritation or itching as a side effect. Which I figured happened to me, and on top of that because of all the medication I was on. Not only was it insanely itchy externally but I started to swell a bit as well. Not to ramble on, it's been a tough past week. The cream isnt supposed to make it go away in a day, it says to give it a week. But what I noticed is that my skin is soo dry down there, but its only dry on the outside part of my outer labia. I dont know if its just healing from the friction and I'll admit scratching, and it's just really dry but I heard herpes can show up as just irritated dry skin as well. I went to my health services and had a gyn take an exam and there was no yeast or bacterial infection present. But she said the cream most likely took care of the yeast infection. She told me to put cold compresses on, let it breathe, and give it to Monday. I've been tested for stds recently because of my surgery. Everything was fine. My ex-bf has never had anything physically show up on him, he even has a new gf. What does this sound like to you guys?? Am I just severly overreacting? Could this drying just be from all the powder and desitin i put on to stop the external burning and itch?? Today, Saturday, it has been a week, and it feels 100 times better, no burn, only an itch when touched or rubbed, still some swelling. But the thing im concerned about it the dry skin. I'm sure by 2morrow it'll be fine, dont even think of it anymore really. Just looking for opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
    Garnetflower

Garnetflower HB User
    Hi Supastar

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

The thing that stuck out the most in your post was 'Major knee surgery'. You don't say if you had a general anaesthetic or not, but even if you didn't, that is a trauma to the system and most likely kicked all this off, if you already were prone to it.

NB - I'm not a doctor (nor is anyone here), but I am a bit of a yeast person myself (tho not tinea as you describe), and have noticed increases at times of stress.

Just one question - is all this showering a good idea? The one thing I never want to do when having a thrush attack is shower. Even though the yeast makes you feel dirty, water can dry the skin out even more, and any washing fluid, however benign, can make things worse.

HTH

Garnet

Closed Thread