It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Cold Sores in 2 year old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2003, 04:57 PM   #1
    jbsmommy2000

jbsmommy2000 HB User
    Question Cold Sores in 2 year old?

Hi all...
    I just took my two year old to the doctor for what I thought was another outbreak of "herpangina"... but was told he only has cold sores this time. What I don't understand is that the last time he had mouth sores, it started out looking like cold sores on the outside of his mouth, which spread to his throat, tonsils, and even his gums..which lead me to take him to the doctor. It was at that time he was diagnosed with herpangina.
    Today, it started out just like last time, only it hasn't spread anywhere else. (The last time, it took about 3 days to spread to inside of his mouth) So, how does a doctor know with just a visual exam that this isn't herpangina again? And from what I have read, the first outbreak of cold sores can and often do spread to the inside of the mouth as well....so how can I be sure this is just cold sores and not the other?
    I guess I'm hoping that someone can clear this up for me, as the doctor didn't seem to have much time for someone with petty little cold sores. I was told that IF it does spread to his mouth, call the doc back. That tells me they aren't really sure it's simply cold sores, wouldn't you agree?
    I'm just confused...hope someone can help.

Thanks for reading....
    scaredstiff70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 PM   #2
    backpacker
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

backpacker HB Userbackpacker HB User
    This is a pediatrician, and he doesn't have time for your baby or your questions? Never go back to this dr. Ask some friends you trust which pediatricians they use and make an appt right away. A dr is there to serve you; you are paying him for his time, his advice, and his serious consideration of your problems and questions.

There are so many bad drs. In the 16+ years that I've had chn, I've changed pediatricians 4 times (once because I moved) and have found one that the boys and I love and trust. He listens to me and the chn, spends lots of time with us, doesn't overprescribe antibiotics, has a well-managed office so we don't have to wait long, and is in all ways a wonderful dr. You can find such a dr. Sometimes you have to shop around, but the chn (and your peace of mind)are worth it.

Poor baby! Good luck and peace.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:48 AM   #3
    Ambika

Ambika HB User
    Dear Scared Stiff - I have three sons and agree with the previous post...RUN from this doc. There are plenty on wonderful peds out there. Remember also that a doc is not God. Speak up to them. Pediatric Nurse Practitioners are also wonderful. And, you may want to try a immunologist, they know everything about herpetic symptons and usually have great advice.

Chin Up and let me know what is happening!

Ambika

Closed Thread