It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Test Results - Confused and Really Depressed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
    Sr530
    (female)

Sr530 HB User
    Test Results - Confused and Really Depressed

I just recently had a small bump in my genital area (I am female) and so I got scared it was herpes and I got it checked out. It was fairly small and raised, but not a blister and it did not have puss in it nor was there any fluid. It was a little sore and thats why I noticed it in the first place. I have not had any burning, itching, or tingling sensations and no burning during urination. No unusual discharge.

Upon the doctor examining the bump she immediately told me that it didnt even look like close to what herpes would look like and that I had nothing to worry about. Me being the paranoid person that I am repeatedly asked her if she was sure and she said that I was fine but to ease my mind she would have me do the Herpes Titer (is this the same as the HSV IGG and IGM test?). Well, my doctor just called me last week and told me that the results came back positive. She didnt say for which kind of herpes or which test came back positive. She just started getting into statistics telling me over 25% of people have it and there are treatments. At that point my world turned upside down so I didnt even hear what she was saying.

So I immediately was devasted and started doing as much research as I could and found out that there are different tests out there. and I found that some tests are more accurate than others. I called my doctors office to find out what test was done and the nurse told me that the doctor had ordered an HSV test for IGG and IGM. The IGM test came back positive and the IGG came back negative.

The last time I had sex was with this guy I was dating and that was intercourse 3 times only and we engaged in oral several times. This is 13-14 weeks ago and intercourse was ALWAYS PROTECTED. Since then we have gone our separate way and I have not engaged in any sexual activity since him. I have had no symptoms. From what I have been reading the IGM test is unreliable. What is the likelihood that I actually have Herpes? Should I get re-tested? Does my timeline make any sense as far as symptoms? Any help would be great...I have been feeling super depressed and just not motivated about life anymore. I am a little confused as well about the testing. Any help/feedback would be great. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Sr530; 09-03-2008 at 08:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #2
    henny22
    (male)

henny22 HB User
    Re: Test Results - Confused and Really Depressed

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sr530 View Post
    I just recently had a small bump in my genital area (I am female) and so I got scared it was herpes and I got it checked out. It was fairly small and raised, but not a blister and it did not have puss in it nor was there any fluid. It was a little sore and thats why I noticed it in the first place. I have not had any burning, itching, or tingling sensations and no burning during urination. No unusual discharge.

Upon the doctor examining the bump she immediately told me that it didnt even look like close to what herpes would look like and that I had nothing to worry about. Me being the paranoid person that I am repeatedly asked her if she was sure and she said that I was fine but to ease my mind she would have me do the Herpes Titer (is this the same as the HSV IGG and IGM test?). Well, my doctor just called me last week and told me that the results came back positive. She didnt say for which kind of herpes or which test came back positive. She just started getting into statistics telling me over 25% of people have it and there are treatments. At that point my world turned upside down so I didnt even hear what she was saying.

So I immediately was devasted and started doing as much research as I could and found out that there are different tests out there. and I found that some tests are more accurate than others. I called my doctors office to find out what test was done and the nurse told me that the doctor had ordered an HSV test for IGG and IGM. The IGM test came back positive and the IGG came back negative.

The last time I had sex was with this guy I was dating and that was intercourse 3 times only and we engaged in oral several times. This is 13-14 weeks ago and intercourse was ALWAYS PROTECTED. Since then we have gone our separate way and I have not engaged in any sexual activity since him. I have had no symptoms. From what I have been reading the IGM test is unreliable. What is the likelihood that I actually have Herpes? Should I get re-tested? Does my timeline make any sense as far as symptoms? Any help would be great...I have been feeling super depressed and just not motivated about life anymore. I am a little confused as well about the testing. Any help/feedback would be great. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

Well for starters if you notice any more sores or anything make an appt with your doc right away so that it can be tested. People live for months and years with herpes without even knowing. An out break can be triggered by stress. Herpes is one of those things that a condom can't prevent especially with oral. Did you ever notice any sores on your partner that he referred to as hair bumps. Or did you ever notice any blisters on his lips or cold sores. If he performed oral and had a cold sore than you could have contracted something. Don't be so sure he is the one that could have given it to you. Think back to your previous partners. Not trying to scare you I just want you to have some insight. Herpes can be treated with pills but can be maintained without them. Don't waste your money if you don't have to. Good luck and keep your eyes open to any new sores and have them tested.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
    henny22
    (male)

henny22 HB User

I would get a Western Blot test done; it is done at the University of Washington. You send your blood sample to them. They provide you with a kit. It cost a little over $100 but it is the gold standard and should confirm whether or not you have Herpes.

To get a Western blot directly from the UW laboratory, have your provider call the 800-713-5198. The UW laboratory personnel will send out special forms and a special mailing tube. The forms must be completed including billing information. When this material arrives in the healthcare provider's office, have your blood drawn and processed so that the serum can be sent to Seale. It can be mailed in a special pack. Once the serum arrives in the laboratory, Western blot takes about 4-5 days. About 1 in 5 samples requires further testing, which requires an additional 5-7 days. The test results must go to a healthcare provider. The results will be mailed or faxed back to your provider. When it comes to deciphering your test results THAT is who you should be talking to.

It is my belief from personal experience that the tests you got can have false positives. Sometimes, other antibodies can cause false readings. For example, HSV1 can trigger a false reading of positive for HSV2 no matter how selective the test manufacturers claim their test is. Also, there are other antibodies called antinuclear antibodies which can fool some of these tests. Did you have a Herpes Select test (Elisa test)?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:36 AM   #5
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

<She didnt say for which kind of herpes or which test came back positive. She just started getting into statistics telling me over 25% of people have it and there are treatments>

Based on those statistics (25%) your doctor is saying you have genital herpes HSV-2. 80-90% have oral HSV-1.

One I would get copies of the test results so you can see the IgG numbers. If another sore shows up get to the doctor fast and have it swabbed. If you get a retest make sure they are doing the IgG test for both HSV1 and HSV2. Refuse to pay for any IgM test!

Old 09-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
    ccnaps
    (female)

ccnaps HB User

Hi-
    I myself was just diagnosed with it. This board really helps. Did she put you on valtrex? I have been feeling super depressed, with several questions. Feeling like there is no one in my "circle" that I can turn to. From what I am reading you can still catch herpes even with a condom. As they say time heals it all. We can only get stronger. We can all help each other..
    Just keep it moving.Keep your head up girl. We have too..

Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #7
    BABYGIRL51
    (female)

BABYGIRL51 HB User
    Really Depressed

I Was Diagnosed 4/21/08 And I Still Havent Told My Boyfriend And Its Killing Me Cause I Want So Bad To Tell Him But Afraid He Will Leave. The Doctor Told Me By The Numbes My Test Showed I Have Both Hsv1 And Hsv2 For Along Time . But I Just Started Having Outbreaks Is This Normal? I Have Been Put On 1x Daily Of Valtrex And Its Helping But Need Advise.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
    ccnaps
    (female)

ccnaps HB User
    Re: Really Depressed

I know it has to be HARD. But you eventually are going to have to tell him. Are you using a condom? Let me just say, and I will say I am still going through this.. If he isnt there for you when you tell him.. He wasnt there for you in the beginning> its already September,tell him. The valtrex will suppress the outbreaks, stress is a cause for outbreaks from what I am reading, and you dont have to constantly get them. Some people havent had them in years!!
    Good luck !!!!!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
    BABYGIRL51
    (female)

BABYGIRL51 HB User

I Think He Has It And Has Not Said Anything To Me. I Never Experienced Any Thing Down There Until I Was Sexually Involved With Him And I Been Wit Him Almost 6 Yrs And We Use Condoms Sometimes And Then 1 Day Boom I Have Blisters. I Think He Had It And Didnt Let Me Know But Wat If Im Wrong. I Had A Incident With Him That I Think He Was Unfaithful To Me. ALSO HIS OLDER BROTHER TOLD ME I WOULD REGRET GOING OUT WITH HIM. NOW IM STARTING TO WONDER WHY HE SAID THAT TO ME

Last edited by BABYGIRL51; 09-05-2008 at 09:35 AM.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
    lady1980
    (female)

lady1980 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BABYGIRL51 View Post
    I Think He Has It And Has Not Said Anything To Me. I Never Experienced Any Thing Down There Until I Was Sexually Involved With Him And I Been Wit Him Almost 6 Yrs And We Use Condoms Sometimes And Then 1 Day Boom I Have Blisters. I Think He Had It And Didnt Let Me Know But Wat If Im Wrong. I Had A Incident With Him That I Think He Was Unfaithful To Me. ALSO HIS OLDER BROTHER TOLD ME I WOULD REGRET GOING OUT WITH HIM. NOW IM STARTING TO WONDER WHY HE SAID THAT TO ME

I was married for 7rs and had a similar incident with my EX-husband. I used reverse stradegy on him. I told him that I wasn't feeling too hot and that I had discharge coming from my va-j-j and I'm going to get it checked out. Then I told him I know it shouldn't be anything because you said that you've been totally faithful and I know for a fact that I have been so mo worries right. I then waited for about a week and asked him if there is anything that he would like to tell me. I told him I got my results back and that he could either confess now and we talk about it or I'm leaving. He ended up fessing up and I still left him. I look at it this way. There was nothing wrong with my va-j-j and he admitted that he cheated. What if he brought be back HIV or something. And we were married go figure right. If you're going to cheat then at least use a condom. The problem with herpes is that you can have it for years in your system and not know it. Have you ever noticed any bumps in his area or something he refers to as hair bumps in his area. If so then he has it and isn't telling.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:54 PM   #11
    BABYGIRL51
    (female)

BABYGIRL51 HB User

No But Im About To Check Very Very Carefully To See If I See Anything. I Never Experienced Anything Down There Not Even An Itch Until Him. He Is My 2nd Sexual Partner And I Spoke With My First Partner Whom I Was With 15 Years Im 36yrs Old And He Was My First Love And We Ended Things Very Well And We Are Still Friends And When I Told Him He Went And Got Tested And Was Negative So I Know I Had To Get It From My Current Partner. And I Know He Is The Type To Not Get Tested And Blame Me. Uhh The Stress.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
    ccnaps
    (female)

ccnaps HB User

I have never experienced anything down there either until being with him myself. Funny, HIS YOUNGER brother told me that I would regret being with him! wow. BUT that could have met many things. If he did cheat, its to late now. Whats done is done. You have it, I have it. Now we have to live with it. Your going to have to tell him sooner or later. I dont know if guys show as many symptons as women do.
    And just like Lady1980 said.. Thank GOD its not anything worse.. It could be
    Keep your head up girl!!

Old 09-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #13
    BABYGIRL51
    (female)

BABYGIRL51 HB User

Oh I Am Thank You And I Mentioned It To Him To Be Tested And He Refused. I Wonder Why. I Know Wats Done Is Done And Yes Thank God I Could Of Received Something Worse. Thank You 4 The Advise Speak To U Soon.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #14
    RockofLove
    (female)

RockofLove HB User

Hi,
    I just want you to know you are NOT alone in this. I just got diagnosed 3 days ago. I feel horrible, mad, angry and HURT. I don't know who gave it to me, and at this point don't know how long I have had it. 15 yr s of having sex, and 2 partners unprotected. Only slepts w/ 7 ppl ... So honestly the 2 that I loved were to 2 that i have unprotected sex with. Just goes to show you ... can't trust anyone.
    I'm here for ya as a friend.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #15
    ccnaps
    (female)

ccnaps HB User

Hi-

I think that is one of the worst parts Not knowing who gave it to you. It will drive you nuts! How long you could have had it, where, To many questions gone unanswered.
    I myself was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. I am glad for this board, as sometimes you just cant talk to anyone about this. They cant seem to relate. With time, I do believe it will get better.
    It is just so shocking.
    And no......... You cant trust anyone, so sad. But.. Who knows? Seems that A LOT of people just dont know that they have it.

KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

Closed Thread