It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• First Symptoms Years Later???!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
    CouldItBeTrue
    (female)

CouldItBeTrue HB User
    First Symptoms Years Later???!!!

Ok, this is the situation. I recently had sex with a new partner. About a week after we had sex she indicated to me that she was, well, developing herpes. She got sick, with swollen lymph nodes and all, as well as a herpes like rash. All the symptoms of an initial outbreak. She went to a doctor, where a culture was performed, and according to her it came back positive for HSV 2. She says she hadn't had a partner for a year before me. We figured that given that she first started developing symptoms very soon after our first encounter that I was the one who had given it to her.

As such, as a responsible adult, I went and got a blood test. It turns out that I tested negative for HSV 2, so I couldn't have given her herpes. I don't think its a false negative because I asked about the reliability of the test and was told it is extremely accurate. So, my question is, is it possible that she had the virus all along and didn't develop any symptoms until years later. I've read online, and was told by my doctor, that the vast majority of the time the initial outbreak occurs within a month. Has anyone ever experienced, or know someone who has experienced an initial outbreak years after sexual intercourse with an infected person. Thanks.

Last edited by CouldItBeTrue; 09-23-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: New Information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
    over21
    (male)

over21 HB User
    Re: First Symptoms Years Later???!!!

It's very hard to point the finger at a person.

One in four adults has Genital Herepes, yet 90% don't know it. Yes it's common to have an outbreak within the first month of being infected. More common is an outbreak to be so mild it goes unnoticed or misdiagnosed as yeast or jock itch. And yes, it's possible to go years (5-10-15) without knowing you have the virus. Happens all the time. 70% of new Genital Herpes cases come from partners who were unaware they had the virus.

Now, there's the possiblilty you were just recently infected (from a previous partner) and haven't seroconverted (ie, turn bloodtest positive) yet. Even if a person hasn't turned blood test positive, it's still possible to pass the virus to someone else if they truly have the virus. If you haven't been with anyone else in the last 6 months, then I would say your test result are very reliable. If you were just with someone else, then pointing the finger got muddier.

Everyone seroconverts at different rates, some taking 6 months or longer. The norm is about 6-12 weeks. The recommendation for blood testing is waiting 12-16 weeks post last possible exposure.

And last, is everyone getting the correct blood test, an IgG type specific blood test. Herpes Select is the most common in the States. Her culture test should be viewed as 100% accurate. She has symptoms, an outbreak and a positive result.

The only way you'll be able to prove it wasn't you is to still be negitive at a second test at the 6 month mark. You can't give someone the virus if you don't have it. If you're positive at the 6 month mark, it could go either way as for who gave whom first. Add a third person and all bets are off.

O21

Closed Thread