It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

i think i have genital herpes, and a cold sore!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #1
ashley7259
(female)

ashley7259 HB User
i think i have genital herpes, and a cold sore!

So, I finally had sex with a guy that I have always liked, i've been tested before so i know i was clean. But we did not use a condom. As far as I know he has never had GH. However, I do believe i have seen him with cold sores before. He performed oral sex on me before me had intercourse. I have never had a cold sore before in my life, but about two days after having sex and receiving oral from him I started feeling pain in my genital region and developed what i believe to be two cold sores on my lip.

I have about 10-15 very painful bump/sores on my vagina. It hurts so much when I urinate that i want to cry. Also, I am on NuvaRing so I do not get my period but, as soon as i got these symptoms i have had bleeding.... does that have to do with it?
I have been an emotional wreck since I realized what could have happened.

I guess it upsets me that I could have it. But i'm more worried if my partner will now have genital herpes because we had sex after he had performed oral on me??

I haven't talked to him about it yet, and I have an appt to get checked on monday to know for sure.

Help!
--Merry Christmas to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #2
Truthseek
Senior Veteran
(female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
Re: i think i have genital herpes, and a cold sore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7259 View Post
I have about 10-15 very painful bump/sores on my vagina. It hurts so much when I urinate that i want to cry. Also, I am on NuvaRing so I do not get my period but, as soon as i got these symptoms i have had bleeding.... does that have to do with it?
I have been an emotional wreck since I realized what could have happened.
I guess it upsets me that I could have it. But i'm more worried if my partner will now have genital herpes because we had sex after he had performed oral on me??
I haven't talked to him about it yet, and I have an appt to get checked on monday to know for sure.
If he has a history of getting oral cold sores then yes, he could have passed it to you via oral sex. Make sure when you go to the doctor that they do a swab culture AND an IGG blood test(not an IGM test which should not be used to detect herpes) AT THE SAME DOCTOR VISIT. If they swab comes back positive and the blood test comes back negative then that usually means this is your first infection because your body has not had enough time (3-4 months generally) to produce the antibodies that the blood test picks up. If you have sores on your cervix, sometimes when they 'burst' you could also have bleeding or the bleeding could just be due to friction. Make sure to tell your doctor about it.
It's interesting that you are more concerned about your partner getting it on his genitals. If in fact he does get cold sores and has HSV1 then he has the antibodies already which protect him from getting it anywhere else. He should however get tested himself for both HSV1 and HSV2 via the IGG blood test. A complete STD panel would probably be a good idea for both of you. But NOTE - a herpes test is not part of a standard STD panel so BE SURE YOU BOTH SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR THE IGG BLOOD TEST.
Sorry you are dealing with this at this time but know that you are not alone.

To help with the peeing issue, try peeing in the shower with a hand held shower attachment or even in a shallow warm bath. Or take an old shampoo bottle, fill with warm water and squirt it over yourself while peeing. The acid in your urine passing over the open sores is what causes the pain. If you drink lots of water, it will dilute the acidity and help with that.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
ashley7259
(female)

ashley7259 HB User

I went to the doctor and I have it.

She put me on Valtrex taking two tablets twice a day, so all together 2000 mg a day.
but the sores still hurt so badly. i have so much trouble sleeping. i haven't been hungry and yesterday i felt so nauseous i couldn't eat anything.

how long do i have to wait to see some kind of result from taking the valtrex? i don't know how much longer i can deal with the pain. I'm taking tylenol like crazy..

Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 AM   #4
Truthseek
Senior Veteran
(female)

Which test did your doctor do that showed positive - the swab or blood?
Also be careful of the tylenol. Try alternating Advil then tylenol. Make sure you have no medical problems that the tylenol or advil could screw up.
I also felt naseous on Valtrex. Try to take with a meal.
For night time have you tried benedryl? It will help you sleep and since it is an antihistamine, it helps with the itchy feelings.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
ashley7259
(female)

ashley7259 HB User

She did a swab culture but i dont know the results of it.
She said just by looking she could tell for sure that thats what it was.
She also tested me for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
What do you mean medical problems that tylenol could mess with?

And again, how long before the valtrex kicks in to make things better?

Also, I am having oral surgery on the 7th of jan. and thats the last day of taking my high dosage, will that interfere at all with my surgery??

Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Truthseek
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley7259 View Post
She did a swab culture but i dont know the results of it.
She said just by looking she could tell for sure that thats what it was.
She also tested me for gonorrhea and chlamydia.
What do you mean medical problems that tylenol could mess with?

And again, how long before the valtrex kicks in to make things better?

Also, I am having oral surgery on the 7th of jan. and thats the last day of taking my high dosage, will that interfere at all with my surgery??
You should follow up and find out which type came up in the swab test.
Tylenol can mess up your liver so if you already had a compromised liver condition or some other medical problems it could harm you. Ask your doctor if it's ok.
For the first outbreak they usually dose 10 days of Valtrex. If you are not feeling better then again ASK YOUR DOCTOR.
The medications should not interfere with your dental work.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
BigRig
(male)

BigRig HB User

Welcome to the club Ashley!! Dont worry it all gets better from here on.

You should talk to your partner ASAP and make sure he understands what has happened and make sure both of you practice safer sex.

P.S. - HSV is not a big deal.

Closed Thread