It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• what can be done being intimate with a partner that has herpes?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
    poet1982tigger

poet1982tigger HB User
    what can be done being intimate with a partner that has herpes?

my partner has herpes what sexually can we do or not do and how do i protect myself to make sure i dont get it being i want to be intimate with her?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
    Re: what can be done being intimate with a partner that has herpes?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poet1982tigger View Post
    my partner has herpes what sexually can we do or not do and how do i protect myself to make sure i dont get it being i want to be intimate with her?
    Hi,
    First off I want to say thanks for taking the time to find out about this pesky skin condition, it means a lot to see someone do some research and not just turn someone away because of this

You can still have a normal great sex life with her. Would you happen to know which type she has? If she has HSV1 the outbreaks and transmission is lower of that of HSV2.

The transmission rates from female to male are low in general but it also helps if she knows her body. The best thing is to avoid contact with the infected site while she is having an outbreak or when she thinks she may have one coming on. Also, maybe she can look into taking daily Valtrex if she is not already on suppressive therapy..just by taking this it can reduce the risk of transmission by 50%. Oh..and also the longer she has this the less outbreaks she will have also the transmission rate is said to decrease as well.
    I did place the transmission rates below..

Here are the Female to Male transmission rates

If you have 100 couples where the female has HSV 2 but not the male (these figures are over a year) the odds of female to male transmission are if you do nothing other than avoid sex during an outbreak 4 men out of a 100 will get herpes in a year or 4% If you do go on a suppressive therapy or use a condom then it drops to 2 men out of a 100 in a year or 2% and if you use suppressive and a condom the chances are 1 man out of a 100 will get herpes in one year or 1%.

The valtrex and transmission study stats are based on having sex 2 times/week.

Also, you can still perform oral on her..but I would suggest using a condom for that.. as there is a risk although small that you may get oral herpes from her if you do do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    **The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by angeleyz81; 05-22-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
    Ca.Girl2
    Veteran
    (female)

Ca.Girl2 HB User

Keep in mind most people including myself acquire herpes with a partner who has had it for years and doesn't even know it because they've never had an outbreak.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #4
    pailrider
    (male)

pailrider HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poet1982tigger View Post
    My advice wear a condom, or wait till the virus has expired, I've had this for years.

Good luck pailrider.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
    resolution09
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

resolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB Userresolution09 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pailrider View Post
    My advice wear a condom, or wait till the virus has expired, I've had this for years.

Good luck pailrider.

Just in case someone young is reading here and learning, the herpes virus does not "expire". Once you have herpes you always have herpes. Yes, there are times where you have out breakes and times when you don't, but the virus does not leave your system and you always have to be considerate of any partners.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
    Misssty
    (female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

My understanding is it is only catchy when you are intimate during an outbreak. If she can be honest with you about when these outbreaks occur, you should be safe. I knew someone who had herpes..he was a male...he didn't have frequent outbreaks...1 time a year and sometimes not for a couple of years. I'm not sure how often the type of herpes breaks out that your girl has...maybe you can talk to her about it.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
    pailrider
    (male)

pailrider HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by resolution09 View Post
    Just in case someone young is reading here and learning, the herpes virus does not "expire". Once you have herpes you always have herpes. Yes, there are times where you have out breakes and times when you don't, but the virus does not leave your system and you always have to be considerate of any partners.

Yeeeer the genetal herpies virus breakes out from time to time, people are different, after an out break finishes its cycle, about one week, the virus returns into the nerve and return to the bottom of the spinal area.

Then the little devil lies there waiting to attack, at your body's low point, there is one medication called aciclovir, this will not cure the problem.

BTW..I've had this virus for around 30 years and being careful have avoided passing it to my wife, to the best of my knowledge. I find washing regular with soap helps healing time a little. There are millions of people throughout the world with this virus.

VBW.

Last edited by pailrider; 11-20-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread