It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Herpes returns after menopause, and Valtrex questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
    Sensitivo
    Inactive
    (female)

Sensitivo HB UserSensitivo HB User
    Question Herpes returns after menopause, and Valtrex questions

Has anyone experienced a return of genital herpes outbreaks at menopause, after years (in my case 20+ years) of no outbreaks whatsoever? Initially, I wondered if menopause itself was the cause of my discomfort, but this option was eliminated. I was put on a two-week course of Valtrex (500 mg 3X daily) at the first sign of outbreak and this effectively prevented it from developing. But, it seemed a respiratory infection was trying to get hold of me while on the medication, and this is something I rarely experience. The minor cold symptoms cleared up after I stopped the medication. Shortly thereafter, I had the worst herpes OB in almost 30 years.

I've just started a maintenance dose of Valtrex (one 500 mg per day) and I again feel a cold trying to take hold. My questions are:

Might the Valtrex be responsible for the worsened herpes symptoms after the initial course of medication (ie. the virus was beaten down, and then came back stronger after the medication was finished)?

Might the Valtrex adversely affect my body's ability to fight other viral infections, or is the sense that I'm frequently fighting the beginnings of a cold while on Valtrex just a coincidence? With all the talk of H1N1 virus these days, I certainly don't want to be taking medication that might make me more susceptible to a serious viral infection (as opposed to herpes, which based on my age and circumstances, is better described as a painful nuisance).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
    BABYGIRL51
    (female)

BABYGIRL51 HB User
    Re: Herpes returns after menopause, and Valtrex questions

I just went through something like this i had an upper respirtory infection and soon as i started getting sick i had an out break. Colds, stress, illness, etc cause your immune system to weaken and gives this pesty disease a chance to resurface. Valtrex is great and no it didnt cause the outbreak it was the virus that you were catching. Down load herpes handbook on web for free it will answer all your questions, concerns, etc. Feeel better and be well.

Closed Thread