It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Results & Confusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
    blinky1
    (female)

blinky1 HB User
    Question Results & Confusion

After 15 yrs marriage, my divorce was final 2.5 yrs ago and court suggested we get a complete HIV screening afterward which was negative for everything including herpes. Since then, I have been dating/sexually active with one man for the past 2 yrs. However, last year after having sex with him, I broke out on my neck and face badly, but not on my lips, but assumed that it was from my new cologne. Recently, he had to leave town for 6 months for business. He has been my one and only partner since my divorce. When he returned, we had sex over 1 month ago and three weeks later, I broke out in my genital area. Through a brief query & discussion, he stated that nothing is wrong with him. I went to the Dr and took tests for stds. I ask him if he had cheated on me and he keeps avoiding the topic, then stated that we will discuss this after I get my results back. He states that he has never had an STD before. Is it possible for me to go through this and he not be infected and/or not have any symptoms? Also, can someone please help me understand my Herpes Test Results? My results display as follows:

Test Result Flag Reference
    HIV 1&2 AB (EIA) NEG NEG

HSV 1&2 IGG AB 41.0 H
    (0.0-0.8 index) Pos >1.0
    HSV 2 IGG AB 3.90 H
    (0.0-0.9 index) Pos >1.09

If anyone can help me, please explain what these numbers(41.0 & 3.9) mean because they seem very high and abnormal from what other numbers I am seeing on this site. Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by blinky1; 10-22-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: To Clarify

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
    shefab
    (female)

shefab HB User
    Re: Results & Confusion

I am going through a divorce right now, and i decided to get tested to make sure I walked away 'clean'. well, after 15 years of monogamy on my part, I tested positive for HSV2 - genital herpes. I had my first outbreak one week AFTER I got the diagnosis! soon to be ex has refused to be tested.

I work part time as a surgical tech and have had needle/instrument sticks over the years, at least one involving a patient with Hep C and HIV, so I've been getting tested every 6 months for the last five years and so far so good.

My gyno said it could be dormant in your body for years, but I think the timing in my case was pretty darned telling.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It sucks, but it does not define who you are...you are still the same fabulous you!!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blinky1 View Post
    my Herpes Test Results? My results display as follows:

Test Result Flag Reference
    HIV 1&2 AB EIA NEG NEG

HSV 1&2 IGG AB 41.0 H 0.0-0.8 index
    Pos >1.0
    HSV 2 IGG AB 3.90 H 0.0-0.9 index
    Pos >1.09

If anyone can help me, please explain what these numbers mean because they seem very high and abnormal from what other numbers I am seeing on this site. Thanks for your help in advance!
    The HSV 1&2 is a combined test. It's pretty worthless as it does not define which type you are positive for. The HSV 2 IgG result is the one to look at. It is positive at 3.90. Most doctors will retest if your results are under 3.5. Since yours is over 3.5 it is positive.

Did you have prior IgG results that were negative? If so, then you most likely got this from your current partner.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
    blinky1
    (female)

blinky1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shefab View Post
    I am going through a divorce right now, and i decided to get tested to make sure I walked away 'clean'. well, after 15 years of monogamy on my part, I tested positive for HSV2 - genital herpes. I had my first outbreak one week AFTER I got the diagnosis! soon to be ex has refused to be tested.

I work part time as a surgical tech and have had needle/instrument sticks over the years, at least one involving a patient with Hep C and HIV, so I've been getting tested every 6 months for the last five years and so far so good.

My gyno said it could be dormant in your body for years, but I think the timing in my case was pretty darned telling.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. It sucks, but it does not define who you are...you are still the same fabulous you!!
    Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
    blinky1
    (female)

blinky1 HB User

Thank you. Yes, my first HIV/HSV tests all indicated NEG results. My HSV 2 IGG numbers also reflected 0.0/NEG results. But what does this 41.0 for the combined HSV IGG really mean if the normal index is 0.0-0.8 if I am understanding correctly?

Closed Thread