It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Fever blisters & fatigue Why am I sick?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
    Fever blisters & fatigue Why am I sick?

About every two months, I break out with fever blisters usually in the right corner of my mouth, I usually get just a few blisters and they burn, hurt, eventually crust over and heal within 2 weeks or so. Well I have been under the weather all day, fatigue HORRIBLE, sleeping half the day, and now on my lip toward the right side but not in the corner, this is dead on my lip, I have started breaking out, there are 2 fever blisters beside each other, then about 4 tiny ones in a cluster. Whatever causing this, is making me feel ill.

I am pretty sure at my last pap I was tested for HSV1 and HSV2 along with other STD's and when I saw my gyn she said all my blood work was normal.

But if it isn't HSV, then what else could it be? I look at pictures online for HSV1 and that is what it looks like to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User
    Re: Fever blisters & fatigue Why am I sick?

More then likely you do have oral herpes... the thing is you have to ask to have an HSV test its not part of the routine STD panel. I suggest you go to the dr. and ask to have the IgG herpes type specific blood test done, this will let you know if you have it or not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    **The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User

I saw HSV1 and HSV2 hand written on the blood work order where I was being tested for other things like gonorrhea and clamidia. I will have to ask my Gyn in a week & half at my appt but I'm almost positive I was tested. But I don't understand these repeated breakouts and why it's making me sick like that if it's not HSV1. I have chronic fatigue, but the fatigue today has been almost unbearable, and then my lip breaks out in clusters of blisters, and it's made me tired like that before, right before I broke out. They are clustered together, and I know HSV1 will do that. I just don't get this unless maybe the blood work isn't always accurate ?? I was broke out at the time I had the blood work back in January. Does there need to be a time frame of being tested, like maybe after it clears up?

Old 02-28-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

If you seen it find out which test was ran..the IgM is worthless.. the IgG is the best really, also find out what the numeric values were

It can take up to 4 months to show in a blood test from time you acquired the virus.. but from your post it seems as though it may be more then 4 months ( I am just assuming)

**The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**

Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #5
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes it's been going on for longer than 4 mths. I'll take that info to my doctor and ask about the other test. Thanks (your so helpful!)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #6
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I called the clinic and found out that I was not tested. Is there a test that might show chronic activation of the virus. Where I have chronic fatigue syndrome, I'd like to find out if the two are related.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
    I called the clinic and found out that I was not tested. Is there a test that might show chronic activation of the virus. Where I have chronic fatigue syndrome, I'd like to find out if the two are related.
    The IgG herpes type specific test will let you know which type if you have it and normally a run down immune system or lots of stress will bring on outbreaks. I know some people on the board take L-Lysine (over the counter vitamin) for their herpes but I think most have it genital..i am sure it should work to help with oral as well, not positive so.. other posters please feel free to chime in

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #8
    since1999
    Inactive
    (male)

since1999 HB User

i have genital hsv 1... l-lysine seems to work for me... i also use a cream called super lysine (it's for cold sores), but i use it on my penis and it works great....

Old 03-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I've used OTC cold sore medication before but neosporin seems to work better.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 PM   #10
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Do any of you have chronic outbreaks, like every 6-8 weeks? Oral or genital, do you have other symptoms? Where it makes me so extremely tired, and I sleep all day, then break out with the fever blisters, does that for sure sound like a STD? I was down sick for 4 days with extreme fatigue. What triggers it, a weekened immune system?

I have not had a cold, stomach upset, not stressed, or anything like such. If it is chronic (occuring all the time), I can't help but wonder how sick can it make you, if it gets me down that bad the first few days of the outbreak.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #11
    since1999
    Inactive
    (male)

since1999 HB User

everyone reacts differently to the virus. it's hard to say why you would feel the way you are feeling. more than likely if you are thinking about the fact that you may/might get an outbreak, then you probably will get an outbreak. i know that if i focus on my herpes i get outbreaks. i get ob's all the time. but i am under alot of stress. this last year has beena year from hell.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #12
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

How long is the virus active? Is it active as long as you have the sores on you? Since my gyn appt had to be rescheduled, I was thinking ordering this test myself. IGM for active or IGG for past infection, but wouldn't know which to do, since I am broke out as we speak. Would it even matter?

Sounds like you need a vacation, just to take a break away from all that stress. That just can't be good being that stressed out.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #13
    since1999
    Inactive
    (male)

since1999 HB User

well, yeah you are right, it is not good to be stressed. i work out everyday, and i spend time outside enjoying the snow(walks, playing with my son). i am in pretty good shape, or at least getting there quickly due to my workout regime. things with work(cannot find work), deaths in our families, our new addition to our family coming soon....... these are all stressful things. and this plays havoc on the outbreaks.

Last edited by since1999; 03-05-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
    neveragain444
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I could imagine how stressful that would be. I know stress can't be avoided sometimes, unfortunetly. But hopefully things will start looking up for ya. I have a past history of stress related depression and hate to see anyone go through that kind of hell. I find it easier to just run and hide when it's coming my way. My son is in afgan so I can either go mental or learn to deal, it's not like there is much of a choice! It isn't always easy but my medication really helps me stay calm, I can't express how much. I love that medication. When he's telling me he's had a bomb throwed near by him, you can imagine how I need to keep calmed down! So he IM's me almost daily, and tells me this stuff, and I'm like I don't want details, but he tells me anyways.

Isn't there prescription anti-viral medications that help HSV from recurring? I'd like to think if I go through the trouble of getting tested & if positive, I can get some kind of effective treatment.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neveragain444 View Post
    How long is the virus active? Is it active as long as you have the sores on you? Since my gyn appt had to be rescheduled, I was thinking ordering this test myself. IGM for active or IGG for past infection, but wouldn't know which to do, since I am broke out as we speak. Would it even matter?

Sounds like you need a vacation, just to take a break away from all that stress. That just can't be good being that stressed out.
    Its hard to say when its active... the risk of transmission is always there since there are "shedding" days and this is when there are no sores present. Please DO NOT get the IgM highly unreliable and should not be given any more.. the IgG would be best..

As for meds.. there is Valtrex and they have a generic now which should be a lot cheaper that you can take for the outbreaks and even as suppressive therapy if you choose to do so.

Closed Thread