HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Herpes (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/)
-   -   Can you have herpes 2 for years? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/herpes/745063-can-you-have-herpes-2-years.html)

mskmal 04-18-2010 04:43 PM

Can you have herpes 2 for years?

Hi,
My doctor ran a blood test on me. HSV1 and HSV2 with IGg. Is this the correct test for HSV2. Meaning if both tests were run can the tell which is which? or do they specifically have to test for HSV2? She told me I had HSV 2. I have not had relations in 3 years. Can this be from way back and just now showing up? I have had severe itching on the vagina, outside for months. She did tell me it could be something else as it usually does not last this long.

Thanks.

angeleyz81 04-18-2010 04:58 PM

Re: Can you have herpes 2 for years?

Yes you can have this for years without knowing and that is the correct test. The itching normally is a warning sign of an outbreak. Did the Dr. give you any medications, if so maybe you should take them and see if the itching goes away :)

mskmal 04-18-2010 05:47 PM

Thank you so much for the concise reply. She gave me a vaginal cream for yeast for the itching. But it did not seem to help. Maybe because it's not yeast. I'm not believing this. I could have had this for years and not even known it. They say the first break out if the worst. Is this true? Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Like every six months (break out) that was just a ball park figure. Or does it come and go as it pleases. What do you do for break outs? Ride it out? Would the vaginal cream work. I only used it once. so the antibodies just now decided to let me know i guess. I'm almost 50. And yet I'm embarrassed. And I would not dare take a partner without telling him. BUT OMG!!
Thanks again....

BeenThroughIt 04-18-2010 07:52 PM

Yes, normally the first outbreak is the worst and that is because the virus is settling itself in your body. For me my first outbreak consisted of a constant high fever, burning when I urinated, two sores on my vagina and extreme fatigue. You can get an outbreak at any point, some people get them every month and some people are lucky enough to NEVER have an outbreak. It is important to know that you can spread the virus even when you are not showing symptoms of an outbreak. There are oral medications to take to stop an outbreak at the first sign in order for it not to progress. You should talk to your doctor about getting a prescription to have on you just in case.

I am 19 and got herpes this year from my first ever sexual partner. It is very embarrassing and hard to comprehend at first but the thing that helped me the most was becoming aware and learning everything I could about it. Hope this helps.

since1999 04-18-2010 08:19 PM

it is possible to have this virus in your system for years and never know you have it. some people have slight out breaks and play it off as something else, and then never experience another outbreak. for myself, i knew immediately that i had hsv 1. it was there within a couple weeks.

during an outbreak you can take valtrex.

for a more holistic approach you can use l-lysine vitamins, tea tree oil, salt baths, vaseline.

to take away the itch some people use an anti-inflammatory.

mskmal 04-18-2010 09:46 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry for you. did he know he had it? See, this itching has been lasting for well over two months. on the outside. Can it last this long? Obviously I have it, I tested positive, but read where it usually does not last this long. I do not have a vaginal yeast infection. I hope I can distinguish when an outbreak is coming. And then you can even spread it when you are not having an OB?? OH this is just awful.
thank you very much.

[QUOTE=BeenThroughIt;4228459]Yes, normally the first outbreak is the worst and that is because the virus is settling itself in your body. For me my first outbreak consisted of a constant high fever, burning when I urinated, two sores on my vagina and extreme fatigue. You can get an outbreak at any point, some people get them every month and some people are lucky enough to NEVER have an outbreak. It is important to know that you can spread the virus even when you are not showing symptoms of an outbreak. There are oral medications to take to stop an outbreak at the first sign in order for it not to progress. You should talk to your doctor about getting a prescription to have on you just in case.

I am 19 and got herpes this year from my first ever sexual partner. It is very embarrassing and hard to comprehend at first but the thing that helped me the most was becoming aware and learning everything I could about it. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

mskmal 04-18-2010 09:50 PM

Now, isn't hsv1 the mouth herpes? I'm just learning here. What kind of inflammatory? I have learned that you learn more from people than the doctors. They don't take much time out for you. I have a swelling on the outside. How does that go down?
Thanks again.

[QUOTE=since1999;4228472]it is possible to have this virus in your system for years and never know you have it. some people have slight out breaks and play it off as something else, and then never experience another outbreak. for myself, i knew immediately that i had hsv 1. it was there within a couple weeks.

during an outbreak you can take valtrex.

for a more holistic approach you can use l-lysine vitamins, tea tree oil, salt baths, vaseline.

to take away the itch some people use an anti-inflammatory.[/QUOTE]

BeenThroughIt 04-19-2010 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=mskmal;4228517]Oh, I'm so sorry for you. did he know he had it? See, this itching has been lasting for well over two months. on the outside. Can it last this long? Obviously I have it, I tested positive, but read where it usually does not last this long. I do not have a vaginal yeast infection. I hope I can distinguish when an outbreak is coming. And then you can even spread it when you are not having an OB?? OH this is just awful.
thank you very much.[/QUOTE]

To be perfectly honest, I did not know anything about his sexual history but trusted him. When I tested positive I asked him and he swore he gets tested regularly and said he is extremely careful and even a little paranoid and that he doesnt see anyway he could have given it to me. However, him being my first sex partner there is no other way...He got tested recently and hasn't told me any results yet. However, since he was blood tested (he isn't showing any symptoms for them to swab) there is a possibility that his blood test will come out negative and he may have contracted this within the last 4 months. My blood test also came back negative but I had a swab test to say it was herpes.

After my first outbreak ended around April 2nd, I had my period from the 5th-9th and then on the 11th I started having itching and it has not yet gone away. My doctor told me to take 1 500mg Valtrex and a week later nothing has changed. I still have itching and a tingle in my vaginal area.

Yes, it is awful and trust me when I say I definitely know how you are feeling right now. When I found out all I could do was sit alone and cry. The hardest part for me was to know that I would never in my life be able to have a carefree sex life. As hard as that is to know I also have come to terms with the fact that I will never be with an untrustworthy guy ever again and I will always have to think through the things I do. It sucks to have to mature in this manner but there are worse things and like me, you to will be able to come to terms with this.

Hope this helps. I know that this site helped me understand this and put things back into perspective.

mskmal 04-19-2010 03:57 PM

BTI,
Yes that is what I am doing. crying and trying to take this all in. What will you do when a new relationship forms for you? You will be honest I'm sure as I know how you felt when it happened to you. but what happens when they run? you know what I mean?
And obvioulsly many people have this that don't know it. I have been doing some researching. Man it can sit for years until if festers. I'm proof of that. I'm scared of man is going to come along and I have to tell him and he runs. This is not our faults. This is a virus, although it is not looked at by many people like this. You tell people you have a cold, OH OK.. But you tell them you have herpes, and GONE!! Not all people I'm sure. But alot.
Thank you honey.

BeenThroughIt 04-19-2010 05:15 PM

msk, I can't tell you how my next relationship will go and to be honest I think about it almost everyday. Right now I am not ready to be sexually active in anyway because I am not comfortable enough with this virus myself. When I had to tell the guy who gave it to me that I was tested it sure as hell took everything out of me. I dreaded it more than anything before in my life. I actually told my parents everything because I was having such a hard time telling him. However, I knew how important it was for him to know. Advise from my dad (who as you will see is an amazing man) was that this may not be all bad because now for all future relationships an emotional bond will be formed first. It is hard to believe that anyone would stay with you once they know you have herpes (saying that word still makes me cringe) but if you read this blog you will see so many people find love and find people who accept them with this virus.

I know how much it sucks. And it sucks to have to be so worried when you begin something new with someone but that is just the place that our lives have taken us. Part of me feels like I will never get married or have a relationship again but I really hope I do and I hope that I will find someone who loves me enough to get past this. And honestly, if they can't then they just aren't worth it.

In my opinion though, especially not being able to THINK about being sexual at this point in time, I think the most important thing is that you are 100% comfortable in your own skin. Before you are ready to let someone else in and tell him you need to be confident yourself that you are ready and that you are comfortable to proceed in the relationship.

Being a freshman in college this is a HUGE change for me (not that I had sex with lots of people, like I said, I have only had sex once and I got sick a few days later and found out it was herpes) but even small things like kissing. I always think if I could just take back that ONE night I would be careful and smarter. Setbacks provide you with the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.

mskmal 04-19-2010 07:06 PM

You sound so very intelligent just in general. So I know you will do the right thing. I am almost 50 and have been through so very much in my life. It is going to take some time for this to soak in. This is so heartbreaking to say the very least. Yes, saying it and thinking it makes me cringe too. I'm scared I will never find love again. But I know like you said people do. I'm still in shock and have no one to talk about this with. Do they have a herpes support help line. My doctor is not really helping here. I'm trying to do alot of research, but then I get off and find myself back in bed. Letting my mind wander. I know this is not good either. this makes me sick. I'm sincerely sorry this happened to you. And everyone else for that matter. I have not been sexually active in almost 3 years. :eek: so I know I must have been carrying this for a while. Had my first symptoms a couple of months ago. I had no idea, or never even dreamed it would be this. I thought it was just an infection. OMG.... My Mother is gone. I so wish she was here.
Thank you.

[QUOTE=BeenThroughIt;4229096]msk, I can't tell you how my next relationship will go and to be honest I think about it almost everyday. Right now I am not ready to be sexually active in anyway because I am not comfortable enough with this virus myself. When I had to tell the guy who gave it to me that I was tested it sure as hell took everything out of me. I dreaded it more than anything before in my life. I actually told my parents everything because I was having such a hard time telling him. However, I knew how important it was for him to know. Advise from my dad (who as you will see is an amazing man) was that this may not be all bad because now for all future relationships an emotional bond will be formed first. It is hard to believe that anyone would stay with you once they know you have herpes (saying that word still makes me cringe) but if you read this blog you will see so many people find love and find people who accept them with this virus.

I know how much it sucks. And it sucks to have to be so worried when you begin something new with someone but that is just the place that our lives have taken us. Part of me feels like I will never get married or have a relationship again but I really hope I do and I hope that I will find someone who loves me enough to get past this. And honestly, if they can't then they just aren't worth it.

In my opinion though, especially not being able to THINK about being sexual at this point in time, I think the most important thing is that you are 100% comfortable in your own skin. Before you are ready to let someone else in and tell him you need to be confident yourself that you are ready and that you are comfortable to proceed in the relationship.

Being a freshman in college this is a HUGE change for me (not that I had sex with lots of people, like I said, I have only had sex once and I got sick a few days later and found out it was herpes) but even small things like kissing. I always think if I could just take back that ONE night I would be careful and smarter. Setbacks provide you with the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently.[/QUOTE]

BeenThroughIt 04-20-2010 08:54 PM

I am so sorry about your mother. I was able to tell my mom, dad and brother. I actually told my brother before ANYONE else. When it comes to online forums this one is by far the BEST I have found. However, I have heard that planned parenthood has some sort of support groups or something along those lines. You could call and see what they have to offer. As hard as it was to tell the guy who gave it to me, being able to talk it out helps a ton and takes away some of the internal build up.

Some days I barely think about it (it is always somewhat on my mind or brought to attention when people talk about different things) but some days I do get upset and feel that sense of disbelief again. I just hope, like you, that one day I will have a normal love life and find someone who will treat me well and love me for me. Like I said early, this is great sex control in the sense of I don't think it is possible for me to be with a shallow guy ever again. With that said I am so nervous this will scare people off. Especially because I feel like I would be scared off if a college student told me they had herpes and wanted to be sexually active with me.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Love talkin to ya!

mskmal 04-20-2010 10:33 PM

Thank you for my Mother. She was my best friend. But she lived a long healthy life. I know, I have to talk to someone. It is building up. I know I'm scared it will run people off as well, that JUST might have it themselves. I need a book I guess. I just got word back today that I have a staph infection and will be put on antibiotics. I'm itching right now, and I want to know how to be able to tell the difference. I have itching in my rear end always, so I'm hoping it is not herpes. Because it has been there a long time. And they just caught this infection. They say the herpes runs it's course. So the itching in the rear, I hope is not this. And I don't know what to do when and if I can tell when I have an OB. What do you do? Do you take anything? I enjoy talking with you too honey. You are so intelligent, and YOUNG, and you WILL find someone and have a good life. Write back.

[QUOTE=BeenThroughIt;4229971]I am so sorry about your mother. I was able to tell my mom, dad and brother. I actually told my brother before ANYONE else. When it comes to online forums this one is by far the BEST I have found. However, I have heard that planned parenthood has some sort of support groups or something along those lines. You could call and see what they have to offer. As hard as it was to tell the guy who gave it to me, being able to talk it out helps a ton and takes away some of the internal build up.

Some days I barely think about it (it is always somewhat on my mind or brought to attention when people talk about different things) but some days I do get upset and feel that sense of disbelief again. I just hope, like you, that one day I will have a normal love life and find someone who will treat me well and love me for me. Like I said early, this is great sex control in the sense of I don't think it is possible for me to be with a shallow guy ever again. With that said I am so nervous this will scare people off. Especially because I feel like I would be scared off if a college student told me they had herpes and wanted to be sexually active with me.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Love talkin to ya![/QUOTE]

BeenThroughIt 04-21-2010 01:17 PM

Is a staph infection related to genital itching? I have had this itch for over a week now and it is driving me nuts. My doc says it is all related to the herpes but I've been on the meds for a week with no relief as well. What is a staph infection?

If you have already been confirmed as having herpes the itching in your rear may be related. However, if it is it is no different than in your vaginal area so don't freak out about that. Meds will help that if it is.

I am not on once a day 500 mg valtrex. That is supposed to stop my outbreaks, although it isnt doing a great job of stopping this one yet. Talk to your doctor about it because I hear it works wonders on some!

mskmal 04-21-2010 03:59 PM

BTI,
Google staph infections. There are different kinds. They ran cultures on me. I also have E-coli, but it's not the kind where you get from uncooked meat. I can't get the doctor to hardly explain anything to me. They just took the cultures and told me I had these. I asked the PA if the itching in my rear was related to the staph and she said yes. I hope so. But I'm not counting on it. If it is herpes, it has been there for a long time. I'm not sure they know what they are doing. :dizzy: They have had my results back for over two weeks, and I am just now getting a med, which I am scared to take. React to everything. I'm starting to get paranoid. Every itch I think is herpes. I just have to get used to this. This is why I don't know the difference right now. Becasue staph can be on the genitals and the buttocks as well. that's why I need help in differentiating. I called a hotline (several) today, and you can't get through they are all so busy. I wake up every morning and after about a minute, it HITS me. I have herpes. I hate that. I know we all go through this. It will just take time to settle in. I read where MAYBE, if you look at your blood results, the higher your antibodies are the longer you have had it. But this is not a for sure thing. However, I don't have to worry about that. I could have had it for years. I hope your itching clears up. I know mine is driving me crazy too.
talk soon.

[QUOTE=BeenThroughIt;4230408]Is a staph infection related to genital itching? I have had this itch for over a week now and it is driving me nuts. My doc says it is all related to the herpes but I've been on the meds for a week with no relief as well. What is a staph infection?

If you have already been confirmed as having herpes the itching in your rear may be related. However, if it is it is no different than in your vaginal area so don't freak out about that. Meds will help that if it is.

I am not on once a day 500 mg valtrex. That is supposed to stop my outbreaks, although it isnt doing a great job of stopping this one yet. Talk to your doctor about it because I hear it works wonders on some![/QUOTE]