It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Confused about Test Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
    nervousconfused
    (female)

nervousconfused HB User
    Confused about Test Results

I went to my doctor recently with some sores in my genital area, and tightness in my groin area. When she looked at it, she said it didn't look like herpes, (it looked like an allergic reaction) but would swab the sores anyways. The swab came back negative.

Due to a mis-reading, my boyfriend's test originally came back positive, so I had blood drawn (as he is the only person I have been with in the last 3 years, and have never had an outbreak of any kind before.) When the Doctor raed the tests again, he actually had HSV-1 at some point, but not recently, and was negative for HSV-2.

My blood work showed this:

Herpes 1 &2 (reflex)/HSV I/II IgG 5.5 (high)
    Herpes 1&2 (reflex)/HSV 2 IgG, Type Sp <0.90
    Herpes 1&2 (reflex)/HSV, IgM I/II Comb 5.03

The test was done at LabCorp. Can anyone help interpret? The person telling me the results wasn't very clear...

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
    Re: Confused about Test Results

The swab came back negative.
    If a swab culture is not done within 24-48 hours of a sore being 'fresh' it could lead to negative results as there is not enough of the virus to be cultured. Just be aware of that. If you ever have more sores get to the doctor ASAP and ask for a culture for both HSV 1 and 2

Due to a mis-reading, my boyfriend's test originally came back positive, so I had blood drawn (as he is the only person I have been with in the last 3 years, and have never had an outbreak of any kind before.) When the Doctor raed the tests again, he actually had HSV-1 at some point, but not recently, and was negative for HSV-2.
    Orginally positive for HSV 1?

My blood work showed this:
    Herpes 1 &2 (reflex)/HSV I/II IgG 5.5 (high)
    Herpes 1&2 (reflex)/HSV 2 IgG, Type Sp <0.90
    Herpes 1&2 (reflex)/HSV, IgM I/II Comb 5.03
    Looks like the top test was a combined test which should not have been ordered because the result does not tell you WHICH TYPE you have. DOH! The type specific test (the second line) should have been ordered for both type 1 and type 2. This one for type 2 is negative.
    Line 3 is even worse - a combined IgM test. The IgM test is not a valid test for HSV anymore. It is cross reactive, unreliable and outdated. And a combined test is even more stupid because it does not differentiate the type!. Personally, I would tell the doctor that you are not paying for it. Tell him/her to go to the CDC site and get correct herpes testing guidelines for this century!

The test was done at LabCorp.
    If you can contact the doctor/lab and ask them to use the blood sample you left and do a 'type specific IgG test' for HSV 1. That one along with the HSV 2 type specific is what you should have gotten in the first place.

Summary - your culture was negative for type 2 and the type specific blood test was negative for type 2. The combined test is showing positive which appears to indicate that you are postive for type 1 - typically oral cold sores which about 80% of the US population has. My recommendation is get retested in 3 -4 months after last sexual encounter or date of the sores but get the TYPE SPECIFIC IgG blood test for BOTH HSV 1 and 2. And again, if any sores develop - get them cultured ASAP.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
    nervousconfused
    (female)

nervousconfused HB User

The nurse at his Doctor's office mis-read the results... the doctor re-read the results and called him back to assure him that he did not have HSV-2, but had gotten HSV-1 at some point in his lifetime.

If the IgM is useless, and the IgG said negative... does that mean that I'm good. What are the odds of a false negative? Could he have it and have it not show on his blood test? He's never had any symptoms, and only got tested because of my scare.

I'm just worried about passing something on to my him. :/

Old 05-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #4
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nervousconfused View Post
    The nurse at his Doctor's office mis-read the results... the doctor re-read the results and called him back to assure him that he did not have HSV-2, but had gotten HSV-1 at some point in his lifetime.
    If the IgM is useless, and the IgG said negative... does that mean that I'm good. What are the odds of a false negative? Could he have it and have it not show on his blood test? He's never had any symptoms, and only got tested because of my scare.I'm just worried about passing something on to my him. :/
    Ok, so they confirmed that he had type 1. Type 1 (typically oral cold sores) can be spread to the genitals of a partner via oral sex. So the problems you are experiencing may be type 1 on your genitals. Go back and get the type specific for type 1 - although if you just got infected, it may not show up in your blood tests just now as it takes GENERALLY 3-4 months for the body to produce enough antibodies that are detected in the blood.

Closed Thread