It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Tested postive for HSV2 but never have symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
    FaithLife
    (female)

FaithLife HB User
    Tested postive for HSV2 but never have symptoms?

My situation is confusing. I've had cold sores on and off (maybe 1-2 a year or less) since college but just realized it's HSV last Dec when I got my routine check-up.

I'm planning for my second pregnancy now so I looked back on my previous blood tests, and it turned out during my first pregnancy in 2006 my HSV2 test was negative but last Dec it became positive. Last Dec I assumed it was my cold sore, I knew nothing about herpes therefore didn't know there was HSV1 and HSV2. I've never been tested for HSV1.

During my marriage I've been very faithful and so has my husband. He was tested in 2005 and both his HSV1 & 2 were negative. I just figured all this out the last couple of days, so I have a lot of questions:

1. If my husband turned out to be clean on both HSV now, was there any way else I could've contacted it? Because I got my HSV2 between 2006 to 2010 and I've been married since 2004.

2. I know HSV2 could turn up as oral herpes, which would explain a lot in my situation, but I've had cold sores way before I was married, so how come I was tested negative in 2006?

3. Is it possible to have both the virus but only have outbreaks on the mouth, because I've never had any symptoms in the genital?

4. I've had HSV2 for 6 months (maybe even longer) and never have any symptoms, is it possible to have symptoms now, because I've read the first outbreak after you get infected is usually within the first 2-4 weeks or am I one of those people who carry the virus but never experience any symptoms ever?

Thank you so much if anyone can help. This site has helped me a lot in understanding about HSV and helped calm my fears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
    mommazwieback
    (female)

mommazwieback HB User
    Re: Tested postive for HSV2 but never have symptoms?

Are you just assuming that you were tested or do you know for sure? Routine STD tests and prenatal testing does not include testing for HSV 1 or 2. Also, if you are assuming that your husband had it done because he had STD testing and you don't know for sure, you need to find out for sure. Negative for STDs doesn't always mean negative for HSV, most doctors just don't test for it.

Maybe your type 2 hsv is on your mouth. Type 2 can infect your mouth, type 1 can infect your genitals, they don't discriminate. I contracted herpes on my genitalia from my husband's oral cold sores.

If you are sure that both you and your husband have been faithful through the marriage (he needs to be retested if not already), then one of you guys had to contract it from the other one. It doesn't come off of toilet seats or any other environmental surfaces.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by mommazwieback; 08-09-2010 at 07:36 PM.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
    freespirit82
    (female)

freespirit82 HB User

I too am infected with hsv-2 since 2002. I was told that a blood test will not determine if you are infected as it's a skin disorder. In addition, I've also been told by my trusted healthcare providers that the only way to determine if you have hsv-2 is to be tested when a sore is present since it's not found in the blood stream.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hi,
    As mentioned in another reply make sure you were both tested for herpes and make sure it was the IgG test. If it was the IgM its worthless.

Coldsores are herpes and it is possible to have type 2 on the mouth. I know you both have been faithful, but do you ever kiss family members or anything on the lips? It can be transmitted that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    **The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread