It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Confused About Test Results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
    CONFUSEDGUY1
    (male)

CONFUSEDGUY1 HB User
    Confused About Test Results

Hi there. So here's my story. Me ex-gf had herpes. She found out AFTER we had unprotected sex. When she went in for an outbreak (her first, or at least the first one that she realized) I also went in and had the blood test for herpes. The doc said I didn't have any antibodies for Type 2, but had for Type 1. Pretty sure when I was young I had a cold sore. I haven't had one for at least 15 years though.

I was with that girl for a couple of years. She has Type 2.

So now I'm getting into a serious relationship with someone. She might be the one... I want to be completely honest about everything. I want no secrets. I had the test done. The doctor faxed me the results and wrote that I had antibodies for Type 1 and none for Type 2. (Note - I've never had any symptoms).

So these were the tests done:

HSV 1 AND 2-SPECIFIC AB, IGG
    HSV I/II RFLX I-II TYPE SP
    HSV TYPE2-SPECIFIC AB, IGG
    HSV, IGM I/II COMBINATION

Results:

HSV 2 IGG, TYPE SPEC <0.91
    Negative

HSV, IGM I/II COMBINATION 2.18
    Positive

HSV I/II IGG 31.2
    Positive

HSV 1 IGG, TYPE SPEC 3.36
    Positive

So what do I tell my girl? I'm kind of terrified about this conversation because it's confusing. I'd feel better if I wasn't positive for anything. She wants to have unprotected sex and so do I (we haven't had sex yet)

Last edited by CONFUSEDGUY1; 08-24-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
    Re: Confused About Test Results

Based on your tests you are positive for HSV1 which you already knew and negative for type 2. Just look at the IgG test results - the combo test is a waste of time because it does not differentiate between type 1 or 2 and you know you already have type 1.
    Having type 1 which we can assume orally based on childhood cold sore, do you realize that you can pass type 1 to your partner's genitals via oral sex? So you still should be careful even tho you don't have type 2.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
    CONFUSEDGUY1
    (male)

CONFUSEDGUY1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Truthseek View Post
    Based on your tests you are positive for HSV1 which you already knew and negative for type 2. Just look at the IgG test results - the combo test is a waste of time because it does not differentiate between type 1 or 2 and you know you already have type 1.
    Having type 1 which we can assume orally based on childhood cold sore, do you realize that you can pass type 1 to your partner's genitals via oral sex? So you still should be careful even tho you don't have type 2.
    Thanks for the response.

So what should I be careful about in relation to type 1? I haven't had any problems with it. If I ever get a cold sore again I wouldn't kiss anyone or anything like that.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

The problem with herpes is that the virus 'sheds' but you don't know it is shedding. Shedding basically means that the virus is active on the surface of your skin. At this time if you were to perform oral sex on your girlfriend, the virus could pass to her.
    Some of the obvious symptoms with oral HSV1 is that tingling/burning feeling you get right before a cold sore pops out. But it could be shedding even before that. So know your body and be safe if you get any of those feelings. Plus she should be told of the risk.

Closed Thread