It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

1 year old with Herpes Simplex

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2001, 11:35 AM   #1
liz121476

liz121476 HB User
1 year old with Herpes Simplex

My 1 year old nephew got herpes simplex and we aren't sure how he got it because it could be one of two things. First, his Aunt has herpes simplex and we are constantly yelling at her not to share food / cups / utensils with him. She swears up and down that she can't give it to anyone without having a sore. I swear she is wrong! Who is right? Also, his house in not the neatest place in the world - could dirt cause the herpes? If these are not the causes of his herpes, what else could have caused it? Help!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2001, 01:23 PM   #2
FD

FD HB User
Re: 1 year old with Herpes Simplex

Misconceptions about herpes are really rampant in our society. Let me see if I can clear some of this up. (Keep in mind, I am by no means an expert...I would recommend talking to your doctor and doing a LOT of research as well as reading this board.)

First off, no...dirt cannot cause herpes.

You asked if the child's Aunt could give him herpes even if she isn't having an outbreak...that one is harder to answer. Yes, herpes can be transmitted (rarely, but it does happen) when there are no symptoms. It's caused "a-symptomatic shedding" and it can happen, however...asymptomatic shedding generally only happens during sexual contact with the area that usually breaks out with the virus. I don't know if your Aunt has cold sores or vaginal sores...but either way, it's not likely she passed it on to him unless she was actively broken out with a cold sore and either kissed him on the eye or mouth or touched her sores and then touched his eye or genitals during a diaper change (and it is a lengthy touch or kiss, brushing up against the sore can do it, but it again is more rare). Sharing food/cups/utensils with her is no big deal unless she is in the tingling stage of an outbreak or is actively having an outbreak, and that only applies if her herpes outbreaks are on her mouth.

What kind of herpes does she have and where does it break out? What kind of herpes does her child have and where does it break out?

Children can easily get herpes from other children or caregivers, even from parents who are unaware how contagious they are. With something like 80% of the human population already carrying the herpes virus in their system, it's mostly a matter of what brings it out of latency.

On the emotional side of this, blame doesn't make the herpes go away. Finding out how he got it (and if indeed he got it from his mother) just makes the issue more volatile. Unless the child contracted it at daycare or at a friends house, at which point you'd want to let whomever he contracted it from know that they have it and to be more careful, t this point it's probably easier to just figure out ways to lessen the pain/frequency of the outbreaks and go from there.

Let me know if I can answer more questions. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2001, 04:26 PM   #3
liz121476

liz121476 HB User

Thank you for your quick response.
To answer your question, my sister has Herpes simplex and it breaks out on her face.

What if she was in the tingling stage and shared a utensil with my nephew who is teething? Couldn't the open sores in his mouth from teething make it easier for him to contract the virus?

Old 03-03-2001, 08:11 AM   #4
Lainey_WA

Lainey_WA HB User

Herpies in the form of a Shingle on the face is very very serious. My Grandmother hand one break out above her right eye a couple of weeks ago. As soon as we were aware that it was a "big problem" we got her into ER. The doctor instantly reconized what it was where we of course had no clue. Besides giving her an injection of the medication she was going to be taking, he STRONGLY advised that she see her eye doctor ASAP. He explained simply, that if it goes into the eye, well, dreadfully and caustiously I quote "she could lose her eye". Seems that if it goes into the eye and not given constant treatment, the eye will die. Sorry to have to share this but would be awful not to. Grandma saw her eye doctor and he gave her what he referred to as "steriods". She was to take them as precribed to prevent the virus from going into her eye. On her follow up visit with her med doctor, he said he didn't think these drops were safe for her eye. I said "Grandma, do you really think an eye doctor would give you something that would hurt your eye." She shrugged and I knew not what action she would be taking until it was too late. Upon return visit to the eye doctor, I found she had quit the drops, and had therefore, gotten this virus in her eye, exactly what the eye doc had tried to prevent. Well she is on more drops now and we are hanging on for dear life that it is not too late. The eye doctor told me he would be seeing her every week until he was absolutley sure that the eye was well. And from the sounds of it. we will be seeing alot of him. SO P L E A S E, if you have any of this virus near your eye area AT ALL, go to your eye doctor, like yesterday. Hurry.

------------------
Hugss, Lainey

Closed Thread