It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Test result question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
    dmbald
    (female)

dmbald HB User
    Test result question

I have been going crazy for the last 10 days when my doctors office called me and told me I tested positive for herpes. They didn't give me any additional details and I didn't even know what questions to ask. My doctor was on vacation and they said I could make a follow up appointment with her when she got back. I had my follow up today with the following results: I tested positive for HSV1 on the IgM (1.10) and negative for both HSV1 and HSV2 on the IgG (both were <.91). The print out she gave me says that Equivocal results (.91-1.09) mean that I may have an early infection and should be retested. Since mine were both negative (not equivocal) on the IgG does that mean I am safe? If so, why did the IgM come up positive for HSV1? Someone please give me some insight. Based on some things my doc said, I dont think she has a full understanding of this virus, which is why I am on here asking the questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
    Re: Test result question

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbald View Post
    I have been going crazy for the last 10 days when my doctors office called me and told me I tested positive for herpes. They didn't give me any additional details and I didn't even know what questions to ask. My doctor was on vacation and they said I could make a follow up appointment with her when she got back. I had my follow up today with the following results: I tested positive for HSV1 on the IgM (1.10) and negative for both HSV1 and HSV2 on the IgG (both were <.91). The print out she gave me says that Equivocal results (.91-1.09) mean that I may have an early infection and should be retested. Since mine were both negative (not equivocal) on the IgG does that mean I am safe? If so, why did the IgM come up positive for HSV1? Someone please give me some insight. Based on some things my doc said, I dont think she has a full understanding of this virus, which is why I am on here asking the questions.
    Here we go again .... The doctor NEVER should have ordered the IgM test. It is an outdated test that is useless, cross reactive (if you had chicken pox the IgM would react to that), unreliable for modern day herpes testing and you should not pay for it. Just pay attention to the IgG scores which as you say - both are negative at this time. Did you get tested because you were with a partner who had herpes or had some symptoms?

You can find accurate testing information from the Center for Disease Control.

Ugh. Hit your doctor with a rolled up newspaper.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
    dmbald
    (female)

dmbald HB User

Thank you for your reply! No, I havent been exposed that I am aware of. I found out that the guy I've been dating was seeing someone else too so as a precaution I asked my doctor to test me for all stds. I did have chicken pox when I was a kid so hopefully that is all the IgM is picking up. After reading up on this I've realized how little I knew about it and am amazed at how common it is! So I think I'll get retested again in a few months just so I can be 100% sure. I will also be writing a very long letter to my health care provider and will be changing doctors. I will definitely check that site as I would plan to include that info with the letter so that hopefully they don't do this to someone else. Don't they understand the effect something like this has on a person!? And I've now got someone else out there thinking they got this and passed it on to me.... a rolled up newspaper doesnt even begin to cut it..... Thanks again!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User

Most labs have taken that test off its listings but some still do it. Most doctors receive very little training on herpes when in med school.
    I'm surprised that insurance companies still pay for the test.
    Be gentle with him/her....they have your history remember.
    Also if you really do have concerns about the boyfriend, you may want to do that test down the line.

Closed Thread