It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Jock Itch or GH? So confused

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
    3thirteen
    (male)

3thirteen HB User
    Jock Itch or GH? So confused

Ok, so I've been having an itching sensation on my scrotum for about four weeks now. At one point there was some burning, but that was mainly the first/second week and hasnt returned since starting treatment for Jock itch. I started treatment after a little over a week into the itching (and redness). I believe I did have jock itch, but I'm curious as to whether or not I have herpes as well.

I know I had jock itch because it was in my inner thigh as well as on my scrotum and started to make the hair follicles look like little red spots, which can happen with this type of infection. I also had it in my anal area because I could see the distinct line of infection. These seem to have cleared up. I was taking some strong antibiotics for cellulitis that I believe left my body open to the yeas infection/jock itch. The jock itch symptoms started a few days before ending my antibiotics.

However, my scrotum is still red (four weeks in) and has these cut/fissure like things on the sides, where most (not all) of the itching is (but like I said, ENTIRE scrotum is red, not just this area). The 'fissures' follow the direction of my pubic hair exactly, the hairs lay in these 'fissures'. I know that the skin can dry and crack with a fungal infection, but herpes can also look like 'cuts'. There were never any blisters or bumps prior to these cut marks.

I did started an oral antifungal (after two weeks of topical didnt work) and now I see that this redness is retreating back to the center of my scrotum, so to speak, as its moved away from the creases of my groin. Does this mean its jock itch?

Also, my neck was very itchy and kind of red when the genital itching started, but that went away in a few days. However, it is back again with a one small 'cut' on one side that could just be something that's been there and I never noticed till I got paranoid.

The thing that these three areas have in common is my razor, I normally dont use the razor I use for my genital area on my neck/face, but I know I did clean up a few hairs on my neck with it (not thinking about it at the time). Can herpes be transmitted via razor (I'm thinking yes), and if so for how long could the virus live on that surface? Because I hadn't had any sexual contact for about three months prior to these happenings, but I did have signs of what COULD have been (not definite) anal herpes about a month and a half before all this. During this time I did use my razor, but the virus would have had to stayed on the object for quite some time in order to reinfect the scrotal area right? I didnt think it could do that.

The 'cuts' are hard to see without the topical powder, and in fact I couldnt find them when I went to see a different doctor after those two weeks on topical powder only. However, they are there when no powder is present, but again, only on the sides of the scrotum in the more wrinkly areas.

The last of my symptoms are a pain in my legs (Uncertain whether or not it was muscle strain as I started doing yoga and stretching quite a bit more than usual), kind of in the crease area and upper calf that lasted for about a week, specifically week 3 only and are gone now. I also had a pain in my lymph nodes during this week, no swelling or tenderness, just a pain that lasted for a minute or two at random times during the day. But your lymph nodes react to infections, which jock itch is still an infection (which wasnt clearing) so... yeah. And actually I would get this pain at random times for years (before ever being sexually active).

If you've aken the time to read all this, first off I thank you.

Secondly, I would like to know if these 'cuts' are still worth swabbing with all the powder and drying I've done over such a long period,or would it just give a false negative? (I went to an STD clinic before noticing the cuts and in the physical exam she didnt notice anything other than redness)

Lastly, how long should I wait before getting a blood test? Three months from now, or three months from what could have been my initial outbreak? If it even was an outbreak (which is also confusing on the timing as well as the anal transmission). If it had been in my system, but only presented itself now, would I still have enough antibodies if I got tested now?

Again, sorry for the huge amount of text.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 AM   #2
    Landis880
    (female)

Landis880 HB User
    Re: Jock Itch or GH? So confused

After the initial infection of herpes, you cannot spread it to another part of your body. So, to your question about using your razor and spreading it to your face .... NO, that wouldn't happen.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
    DatingWoes
    (female)

DatingWoes HB User

The only way you can truly know is by going to the doctor. The doctor can do a physcial examanation and a blood test as well. I was told it takes 3 months after exposure for the blood test to be accurate. In any case you should get checked out because it could be a number of things and you obviously are having an issue.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
    3thirteen
    (male)

3thirteen HB User

I've been trying to get an appointment with a dermatologist but they're booked for the longest time.I call almost daily to see if they have any cancelations. The clinic didn't do blood tests unfortunately, so I'll have to ask the dermatologist or my regular physician.

The 'cuts' i dont think were actually there and I think I was overreacting to the folds of my skin and the way the powders were making them look. I've stopped all medication and everything is still red and itching, but I cant find what I found before. I've used two powders a cream and a shower soap for yeast and also tried a hydrocortisone cream and nothing seemed to work, just make the itching a bit better for a while.

Its been almost nine weeks now, maybe more, and I'm pretty sure thats too long for a herpes infection (generally speaking). Obviously, with the acne that I've gotten in that area before (and am getting more it seems with the stress and current condition of the skin) I want to double check and talk with a doctor and get tested anyway. I just wish they could fit me in soon.

Thank you both for your replies

Old 10-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
    angeleyz81
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

angeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB Userangeleyz81 HB User

Hi,
    This is going to sound odd but try Gentle Naturals Baby Eczema Cream, Fragrance Free, this helped my boyfriend when he had jock itch you can find it in the baby isle of any store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    **The Highest Form Of Ignorance Is When You Reject Something You Don't Know Anything About**
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread