It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• Need cold sore advice and HELP! Driving myself crazy and wasting $$$

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
    tryingtobezen
    (female)

tryingtobezen HB Usertryingtobezen HB User
    Need cold sore advice and HELP! Driving myself crazy and wasting $$$

I was diagnosed with HSV1 in December 2011. My Dr. gave me a prescription for Valtrex to take in case of breakouts.

THREE TIMES in the last month i felt a cold sore coming.

Once there were two small, suspicious bumps just above my lip. No pain or tingling.

Another time my lower lip was a little swollen and red in one spot. Again, no pain or tingling.

A third time i got exactly three short stabbing pains in my lower lip and when i looked it seemed darker red than the other parts of my lip.

ALL THREE TIMES I started taking valtrex right away and all three times the areas resolved within a day and didn't get any worse. I don't have insurance, so every time I take a course of Valtrex it costs me about $100.

So the question is, DO WE THINK I AM GETTING COLD SORES AND THE VALTREX IS TAKING CARE OF THEM THIS QUICKLY? OR AM I MAKING MYSELF CRAZY WORRYING ABOUT GETTING A COLD SORE WHEN I'M NOT REALLY GETTING ONE?? What do you think??? Do my symptoms sound like the beginning of cold sores to you, or do I need a mental health checkup?? I've just now filled my fourth valtrex prescription, so I am currently out $400.

Thanks in advance to everyone out there who can offer any advice or reassurance. I am making myself crazy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
    Cntbelievethis
    (female)

Cntbelievethis HB UserCntbelievethis HB User
    Re: Need cold sore advice and HELP! Driving myself crazy and wasting $$$

Hi, I think that you are driving yourself crazy.. I had a few tingles but that was in what I thought was my first outbreak, but i could have just been paranoid.. Who knows maybe my skin is strong cause i've never had a cold sore in my life..I dunno but my skin is kinda tough living in the Caribbean so long the sun has burned my lips so bad so they are not very sensitive. I dunno. Id hope the valtrex is working but I also think some on it is all in our heads. btw i dont use anything and I have insurance I read somewhere that the meds causes problems later in life. try google to find out more on that.

try to relax a lil and drink some tea to stay calm..

Last edited by Cntbelievethis; 01-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
    ammery
    (female)

ammery HB User

In answer to your question can the Valtrex take care of this so quickly, the answer is yes. I take Valtrex daily as a preventative measure and I take two pills instead of one when I feel that tingle coming on. The forming bump is stopped dead in its tracks and recedes within hours. I think Valtrex is entirely worth it.
    I however have the benefit of being covered by insurance, and also take the generic brand Vacyclovir. Can you get generic?
    As a side note your body does start to depend on the medication it seems. I have run out of the med due to the prescription expiring twice, and my cold sores seemed to have come back with a vengeance, huge blisters on both sides of my mouth going down to my chin.
    Once I got the script filled they healed within days, but it was a very big ordeal obviously.
    I believe what is happening, is that the med is suppressing the virus, and as soon as the med isn't present, the virus wants to appear again. (I could be wrong) But for me, I was having such frequent break outs before the medication, that it's worth it to just stay on the meds. Even if it's for life.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I have had trouble with cold sores forever, especially when stressed. I have a refillable prescription of Acyclovir and the second I feel one coming on I start taking it. My doctor told me to keep a couple of pills from the previous prescription so I have some on hand and don't have to wait until I make a trip to the drug store. Usually they come on during the night, so I wake up with the twitching in the corner of the mouth and feel like a pimple is forming. It's been about ten years since I've had a cold sore since I started this routine. Before that I tried all the cold sore creams advertised, took big doses of l-lysine and anything else that was supposed to help. I have never taken Valtrex, but the Acyclovir is inexpensive. The most important thing is taking the first dose before the sore breaks out. That's the reason I always have a few tablets on hand. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread