It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• My boyfriend has never had any sexual contact, and never been kissed, but...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
    Leahmur
    (female)

Leahmur HB User
    Question My boyfriend has never had any sexual contact, and never been kissed, but...

I apologize in advance if any of this is vulgar, I am only trying to explain my situation as clearly as possible.

Before me, my boyfriend was 100% a virgin- never had sex, never had oral sex, and had never even been kissed (I am almost completely positive that this is all true, his family and friends have confirmed this). I am positive I had no STI's before him and I got together. We've been dating for a while, and one night he preformed oral on me. The next day I started having an itch and small burn in the vaginal region (which I originally thought was a yeast infection because I have an allergy to condoms and we had sex prior to him performing oral, so I didn't think too much of the itch and burn), and that night three fever blisters appeared on his lips. He said that he's always had reoccurring cold sores and it's caused by his lips getting dry, he got it from his dad and his dad claimed that it's not contagious. A few days passed and the itch and burn went away. Then 3 days ago (about 3 days after the itch went away) I had given him a small kiss, just a little peck on the lips since he still had the blisters, and the next day my lips started burning and getting extremely dry. Yesterday and today it's gotten worse and I think I'm starting to see a blister form.

I have OCD and I'm a hypochondriac, so I tend to freak out regularly thinking that I have STIs or other serious illnesses without much provoking these thoughts. Then the day that I kissed him I read online from a sex education website that ALL cold sores are caused by herpes and that if someone tells you they have a cold sore but it's not THAT kind of cold sore, they have herpes and they just don't realize it (the site claimed that these people were probably were kissed by a relative with herpes as a child and contracted it that way). This caused me to have EXTREMELY high anxiety and the symptoms started not long after that. This makes me question how legitimate my fears are. What has me so nervous about this though, is that in the past I have never had enough symptoms to make my fears valid.

So now basically my question is, does it sound reasonable that my boyfriend contracted herpes from a family member as a child? Have any of you heard of that before? Or would it make more sense to think that my body is causing me to have the symptoms because of my high anxiety about it? I will be tested regardless, but I need some kind of peace of mind if possible... Thanks all!

The following user gives a hug of support to Leahmur:
    herpelow (03-07-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
    Truthseek
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Truthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB UserTruthseek HB User
    Re: My boyfriend has never had any sexual contact, and never been kissed, but...

It is absolutely possible for him to have gotten it as a child from an adult kissing them. Years ago, people believed that if there was no obvious cold sore, that you were not contagious. As we know now, that is false. The virus can 'shed' (be active but no obvious symptoms) on the surface of the skin and via oral sex or kissing can be spread to an unifected partner. The act of oral sex - the heat, the friction and the moisture can actually trigger a cold sore which seems to be the case of your boyfriend.

If you are having symptoms then that is the time to be tested. If you have never had an IgG blood test for herpes, you may want to get that done at the same time. If the blood test comes up negative but the swab of a sore comes up positive, it GENERALLY means that you have recently acquired the virus. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
    herpelow
    (female)

herpelow HB User
    Re: My boyfriend has never had any sexual contact, and never been kissed, but...

Sounds like herpes simplex 1 (cold sore type) not type 2 (genital). However you can get type 1 downstairs from someone's mouth cold sores. (I got it this way from a dental office touching saliva and then using the bathroom and touching myself). Goodvnews is type 1 is less severe less painful and responds quickly to a prescription called valtrex. If you are still broken out go to the doctor and get a swab test. They also may be able to diagnose it visually. They will probably give you valtrex prescription. If they don't, ask them if they think it might help for you to take it. Herpes1 symptoms were greatly improved for me by day 2. This is not a death sentence. It will be ok.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
    herpelow
    (female)

herpelow HB User

Greatly improved 2days after starting valtrex.

Closed Thread

Tags
    herpes, hypochondriac, ocd, std, sti