It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• HSV2 igg high, then low "false positive" six months later

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
    HConfused
    (male)

HConfused HB User
    Question HSV2 igg high, then low "false positive" six months later

I am a bit confused by my HSV test results. I had an igg HSV1 & 2 test this past April 2013. My HSV1 was 5.93 and my HSV2 was 4.33 (this is the first time my HSV2 has ever been elevated -- HSV1 has been present for the majority of my 40 years).

As I have not had any symptoms, I decided to get retested six months later (just this past week). My HSV1 is still >5.0; however, my HSV2 is 1.876 -- which falls within the "false positive" range of 1.1 to 3.5 I have read about on the forums. In fact, almost 50/50 that it is a false positive, based upon the graph referenced by Grace in a post.

By the way, the first test was performed via my doctor's office ("LabCorp #165265 HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG"). The second through Planned Parenthood, "HSV Type 1 IgG" & "HSV Type 2 IgG" (I am not certain what test they use -- the results came from "Center for Disease Detection, San Antonio, TX").

What are your thoughts? If anything, I guess I thought my HSV2 would be >5.0 six months later if I was truly positive (similar to my long standing HSV1). A bit confused that the value dropped so much...especially into the potential "false positive" zone.

Should I get a Western Blot for confirmation? Or, does the first highly positive test eliminate the need? What can be expected of these test values over time? Using my own experience, my HSV1 results have always been >5.0 (over the last 5+ years, i.e. since I started testing)...should I expect a true positive HSV2 test to respond the same over time?

My biggest concern is the need to have "the talk" with future partners. If I haven't had any symptoms to date, and considering my lower test score, am I contagious? AND, do I even have HSV2?

Thanking you in advance. Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
    Flowers144
    (female)

Flowers144 HB User
    Re: HSV2 igg high, then low "false positive" six months later

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HConfused View Post
    I am a bit confused by my HSV test results. I had an igg HSV1 & 2 test this past April 2013. My HSV1 was 5.93 and my HSV2 was 4.33 (this is the first time my HSV2 has ever been elevated -- HSV1 has been present for the majority of my 40 years).

As I have not had any symptoms, I decided to get retested six months later (just this past week). My HSV1 is still >5.0; however, my HSV2 is 1.876 -- which falls within the "false positive" range of 1.1 to 3.5 I have read about on the forums. In fact, almost 50/50 that it is a false positive, based upon the graph referenced by Grace in a post.

By the way, the first test was performed via my doctor's office ("LabCorp #165265 HSV 1 and 2-Specific Ab, IgG"). The second through Planned Parenthood, "HSV Type 1 IgG" & "HSV Type 2 IgG" (I am not certain what test they use -- the results came from "Center for Disease Detection, San Antonio, TX").

What are your thoughts? If anything, I guess I thought my HSV2 would be >5.0 six months later if I was truly positive (similar to my long standing HSV1). A bit confused that the value dropped so much...especially into the potential "false positive" zone.

Should I get a Western Blot for confirmation? Or, does the first highly positive test eliminate the need? What can be expected of these test values over time? Using my own experience, my HSV1 results have always been >5.0 (over the last 5+ years, i.e. since I started testing)...should I expect a true positive HSV2 test to respond the same over time?

My biggest concern is the need to have "the talk" with future partners. If I haven't had any symptoms to date, and considering my lower test score, am I contagious? AND, do I even have HSV2?

Thanking you in advance. Cheers!
    Hi there! I'm wondering what your out come was if you don't mind sharing? I'm dreading "the talk too" but I still need to be retested. I found only one other scenario like yours online for a man in the UK. His I believe was a 4.8 for HSV2 with a super robust HSV1 ; when he retested it went down to a 2.89 and he too was going to do the WB. He never posted his results. I'm at 5 newly diagnosed and very unexpectedly. I also had a robust HSV1 at 53.40. Praying there is a better outcome for all of us.

Closed Thread

Tags
    false positive, hsv2, western blot