It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Herpes Message Board

• My doctor says: No difference between genital HSV1 and genital HSV2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
    Magdalena88
    (female)

Magdalena88 HB User
    My doctor says: No difference between genital HSV1 and genital HSV2

Hello, I am from Germany. I was diagnosed with genital herpes 3 weeks ago after my boyfriend performed oral sex on me with a cold sore in his mouth. So I suggested that it must be genital HSV-1. My doctor didn't even distinguish between genital HSV-1 and genital HSV-2. She told me that it doesn't matter because it is absolutely the same. There is no difference between genital HSV-1 and genital HSV-2 also concerning the number of recurring outbreaks. Now I am really confused because I read a lot about genital HSV1 on american pages and that it causes less outbreaks than HSV2. Is my doctor wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
    GreenerPastures
    (male)

GreenerPastures HB UserGreenerPastures HB User
    Re: My doctor says: No difference between genital HSV1 and genital HSV2

From what I understand, yes, your doctor is wrong. HSV1 on the genitals generally causes less outbreaks. However, from a treatment perspective, the treatment options are the same, so perhaps that's what he was referring to.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
    Magdalena88
    (female)

Magdalena88 HB User

Thank you for your answer. No, I asked him if genital HSV1 causes less outbreaks than genital HSV2. And he said that there is no difference at all. I don't know why they don't really distinguish between genital hsv1 and 2 in Germany. Also on german boards you can't find anything about it.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
    GreenerPastures
    (male)

GreenerPastures HB UserGreenerPastures HB User

I think from a symptomatic point of view they are the same. That's probably why they don't distinguish between the two. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
    NolaNicole
    (female)

NolaNicole HB User

I had the same thing happen to me. My doctor did not even do a blood test. She visually diagnosed me with Hsv 2 and sent me on my way. I have read the same, it is NOT the same. The outbreaks for hsv 1 are usually less often and less severe. I have also read they typically wont be accompanied by fever like symptoms. As far as infecting a partner I believe the risks still apply.

I was diagnosed in early January at which time I had a pretty severe outbreak. I have had no symptoms sincec. I quit taking the medication I was prescribed a month ago and still no symptoms. Besides the man I was with leaving me because of this diagnosis, I am living my life exactly the same.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:43 AM   #6
    hopefullycured
    (female)

hopefullycured HB User

Hi Guys

I have to admit that I am a bit confused about this HSV1 being genital herpes..........I got HSV1 as a kid using someone else's drink bottle I think and used to get cold sores every now and again as a young adult. I never gave HSV1 to anyone, either on their face or their genitals!.

I got HSV2 about 5 years ago as a result of trying to conceive a baby with my partner.

When I got tested, there was a distinct difference between HSV1 and HSV2 and both showed on my results. The doctor told me that whilst virus is similar in that it is herpes, it lives in different parts of your spine. I thought that you could contract it a few different ways but that once you have it, it lives in the upper (HSV1) or lower (HSV2) spine and this determines where the ulcers will appear when having an outbreak.

Far out, doctors really annoy me when it comes to this as they do not seem to care or have an interest in helping patients who want to try and get rid of it.

I would suggest going to see a naturopath as they seem to be more knowledgeable and helpful in my experience.

Whatever happens Magdalena, it does not make you a bad person nor does it change who you are. Bad things happen to good people!.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-23-2014 at 06:48 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    genital herpes, hsv1