It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Numbers

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #1
    mgatc
    (female)

mgatc HB User
    High Numbers

So my physical came back with everything high that should be low, and low on what should be high. Doctor has put me on Fenofibrate, 145mg. I tried two different statins in the past, but had to come off because of severe side effects. I do not know anything about Fenofibrate. My numbers were Chol 309, Tri 177, HDL 46, Chol/HDL 6.7, Non-HDL-Chol 263, and LDL Cal 227; so very high and somewhat low on the HDL. I am 56, low exercise, 5'1" and 150, post menopause. My father has a history of high cholesterol and tryglycerides, plus diabetes. My sugar levels are normal. My Vitamin D is low (don't have numbers) and my EOS% is low .6 (not sure what that means.) I recently had Lifeline Screening and my carotid artery was normal as was my c reactive protein.

Really concerned about side effects from this new medication. Thoughts on alternatives, or should I stick with new meds for awhile? I also, have osteopenia and have had severe side effects from bisphosphonates as well. What to do?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
    DBNH77
    (male)

DBNH77 HB User
    Re: High Numbers

I'm sure you know all of the typical stuff for reducing your cholesterol....exercise more, eat better. I'm kind of in the same boat as you because I have high cholesterol in the family and recently my ldl was 207. I actually dropped it 17 points from 227 in February. I am a 38 year old male.

You may want to look into taking plant sterols as an alternative to cholesterol meds. Fish oil may also help. Ask your doctor about these. Also, you mentioned you are low exercise. You really should make time to get some moderate aerobic exercise in at least 4-5 days a week. Exercise will make you healthier in a whole host of ways aside from lowering your cholesterol.

Then of course is diet. Do you eat healthy?

If you exercise enough and eat healthy it should help but you may be one of those people whose genetic makeup trends towards high cholesterol regardless of lifestyle. It sucks but it is what it is.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
    Mtchel82
    (male)

Mtchel82 HB User
    Re: High Numbers

Check out flaxseed meal with chia seed it worked for me!!
    Hang in there👍

Reply Reply