It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

plant based diet and increased numbers!!!!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
Kaycee41
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User
Angry plant based diet and increased numbers!!!!!

I am really confused and upset with my last cholesterol test. Four months ago, I had my annual check up and my numbers weren't good.
TC 213
LDL 113
HDL 42
Trig 290 (I have always had trouble with the trig.)

I was on 10mg of Atorvastatin. My Dr increased me to 20mg and told me to take a fish oil cap.

Two months ago I watched a documentary and decided to go on a plant based diet. I have been doing really good on it. Eating lots of veggies (especially dark green), fruits, beans, nuts. I gave up all processed foods, oils (except the nuts and avocados), dairy and cheese. I eat oats and quinoa, and maybe a slice of whole wheat bread. I try to avoid too many carbs....no sugary desserts, pasta etc. I drink almond milk and sometimes add some plant-based protein powder..I sound like a saint, right?!! So this week I go for a Cholesterol test thinking I'm going to ace it. Wrong, my numbers are horrible!

TC 158 (sounds good, right, but it gets bad fast!)
LDL 77
HDL 30 (dropped from 41...and WAY low for a woman (should be above 50)
Trig 255
Ratio: 5.3 (this is what worries me....should be <4.0)

What gives! I can understand my HDL maybe going down since Dr. increased my Atorvastatin to 20mg. But you would think my Trig would be super low. I did fast 12 hours, by the way, and did not eat anything with high carbs. Also, I gave up alcohol for the past two months....which was harder than the meat! I am really bummed! I did drop about 10 lbs. the first month, but have stayed the same this past month. I weigh 160lb. at 5'6", so I am slightly overweight.

Does anyone have any ideas about what happened? I really like being vegan..it's been pretty easy and really has curbed my cravings for sweets. Also, I love animals and feel better not eating them. I think plant based diets are better for the earth. I don't want to go back to the way I was eating but my numbers are worse that before.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-04-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: plant based diet and increased numbers!!!!!

Understanding that it's difficult to include all details in your narrative, I'll comment on the ones that stand out the most to me. I'll also say that the Mediterranean diet is better than the plant based one.

Some good things are bad in too large a quantity - avocados are one. 300 calories per! Nuts fall into this category also. No olive oil? Bad idea. And you really need some fish in this mix - salmon once a week at least is a great option as well. I only eat red meat once a year (ethnic family event) and pork only on July 4.Otherwise only seafood and chicken breast and turkey breast. But seriously, look into the Mediterranean diet...

Old 02-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

Not sure why your HDL went down so much especially when the doctor increased your medication. From what I thought is it is supposed to bring cholesterol down with lower LDL but increase HDL. The triglycerides should come down with some fish oil supplements and having salmon a couple times a week. One thing I found that spiked my tris is eating foods high in sugar a few days before lab. The sugar can turn into glucose which can then turn into triglycerides. Just a thought. Ask your doctor what they think is happening. It is a work in progress.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
Toypoodle
(female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User

52Ken- How much fish oil should you take a day. My cholesterol is high also. I do drink
skim milk . I need help, any ideas I would appreciate. The doctor did raise my liptor from 10mg to 20mg.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #5
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User52ken HB User

On the fish oil supplement bottle it says to take one 1000 Mg with every meal. I would check with doctor or pharmacist first because everyone is different. In my case it lowered mine and if you decide to supplement with them I would consider starting out with a lower dosage.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Toypoodle
(female)

Toypoodle HB UserToypoodle HB User

52Ken- Eating dairy is that ok ? Skim milk and low calorie greek yogurt ? Any help I would appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
lilj456
(female)

lilj456 HB User

I have genetically influenced high cholesterol. So I, like you, switched to a plant based diet about 2 years ago. My numbers kept coming back horrible, TC 278, etc. I do not eat dairy or cheese, since they are not part of a vegan diet. I cannot take statins due to extreme side effects. But recently I read on these boards that Ultrameal Cardio was good. So I tried the shake morning and night and low and behold, it worked. My number are greatly improved and I'm very relieved. My cholesterol went way down, although not all the way, my trigs are good, my HDL is way up, and my LDL is what it should be. Amazing. And I'm still on a plant based diet, which is not only good for you, but good for the planet as well. Good luck

Old 02-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #8
52ken
Senior Veteran
(male)

That is good that you are watching what you are eating and drinking which can only help. The only thing that helped my HDL was Hershey's Natural Unsweetened Cocoa. It is bitter but with some sweetener the hot cocoa isn't half bad. It may take a while to get used to it.

Old 02-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #9
Kaycee41
(female)

Kaycee41 HB User

I will try the unsweetened cocoa....can't hurt. Thanks! I am also going to try to work out more.

Reply Reply