HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High Cholesterol (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/)
-   -   Newbie with High Cholesterol Questions (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/1031865-newbie-high-cholesterol-questions.html)

chinook146 03-14-2017 09:58 AM

Newbie with High Cholesterol Questions

Hi...here is a little of my backstory.

Last summer I had my levels checked and at the time:
Male
Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 217
TC: 332
LDL: 223
HDL: 63
Triglycerides: 226
Glucose: 85
RHR: 71
BP: 130/100

I knew I was in bad physical shape & didn't eat well, so I started exercising 4-6 days a week and started eating better (not perfect, but much better). About 2 weeks ago got re-checked:

Weight: 168
TC: 304
LDL: 214
HDL: 58
Triglycerides: 157
RHR: 58
BP: 102/70

I was slightly disheartened since I expected to be much better (especially HDL).

1. How concerned should I be over these numbers?
2. I began taking plant sterols (cholestoff), red yeast rice (with CoQ10), and fish oil supplements about a week ago. Is this a good plan and/or anything else I should try?
3. I'll continue to try and improve diet, but there is soooo much information out there on what is good for you in theory. Less red/fatty meat? Less sugar? More fish? What are some good resources for the best diet info?

Thanks in advance!!

movielover40 03-14-2017 12:39 PM

Re: Newbie with High Cholesterol Questions

Your numbers are much better.

Exercise is good for increasing the HDL numbers.

Your on a great track here.

Keep it up. Blood pressure is excellent.

Titchou 03-14-2017 03:00 PM

Take a look at the Mediterranean diet. It should help.

rebecca70 03-14-2017 08:11 PM

Red yeast rice and policosinal should help normalize your numbers. Give it time as supplements are not meds.

Home937 04-13-2017 12:02 PM

Total is 304 is considered high.. Also if you have high blood pressure, you'd better watch out. and the doctor should prescribe you some medicine. As for me, because I am at border line and 220 and blood pressure is normal, the doctor said to me to watch out for my diet. It has been 2 , 3 years, I did not need to take any medication. However, I want my numbers lower too. So, I am taking supplements. lower few points each year.. but not enough.. switching supplements.. will find out later.. and post it if the result is good..

chinook146 06-06-2018 08:11 AM

Just an update with more questions lol. It's been over a year now and I've continued to exercise and eat healthier. Had my numbers rechecked today:

TC: 244
HDL: 83
LDL: 143
Tri: 88
BP: 112/68
RHR: 48

So, improved from a year ago. Should I be concerned about high LDL in this case? Honestly, I've lost about 70 lbs in the last 1.5 years, and now training for a marathon (wife thinks I'm insane now), & eating pretty healthy...not sure what else to do if anything.

Thanks!

tess201 06-06-2018 05:30 PM

Wow! Amazing change in your numbers and they all look good. Your high HDL offsets the LDL so your overall ratio is low. B/P excellent.

Congrats!

Tess