It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High cholesterol, 24 year olds

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
    dista
    (male)

dista HB User
    High cholesterol, 24 year olds

Hello everyone,

Just got my test results yesterday and I am worried as hell.

Total Cholestérol is 6.8 or 262

HDL is 48

And triglycerides is 1.95 mmol/L

Basically I am 24 years old turning 25. I am overweight, not fat, and to be honest I don’t excersise, I do not smoke but in the last 6 months I have been drinking heavily to be honest. Not every single day but around 5 days a week.

I did a test 6 months ago and my total cholesterol was 6.3 and my triglycerides were fine, I wasn’t drinking as much.

Moreover I realized that my GOT and GPT increased (88,68)

Can alcohol affect my cholesterol and results significantly, I am very worried I am way too young for this. My father does have cholesterol maybe it might be genetic but at 24??

Please advise me on what to do

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
    Jayh
    (male)

Jayh HB User
    Re: High cholesterol, 24 year olds

You are at the borderline for your cholesterol being genetic. However, your levels aren't that terrible but you do need to do something about it now. My cholesterol at one time was 505. I am now at 125 through diet, exercise, and meds(a statin and Repatha).

Your alcohol consumption is a big problem for your entire body - especially your liver. That's where LDL cholesterol receptors primarily exist. If I were you, I'd give up the alcohol for now...completely. I would go on a diet(lifestyle change) that is primarily fresh vegetables and fresh fruit, fish, beans, nuts and seeds. No red meat. If you are buying stuff at the grocery store that comes in a box or can or bag - just don't buy it anymore. Stay away from these processed foods and only use a little bit of olive oil - stay away from other oils right now. Drastically reduce your time eating at restaurants for now - they mostly use cheap/bad oils in their foods.

Also, gradually get your body to be more active by getting into a walking routine for at least 30 to 45 minutes per day. After 2-3 weeks consider some jogging with your walking routine.

After 4 months go get another lipid panel to see what your cholesterol numbers are doing. LDL is an important number - you want that below 100...or down to 70 which is even better.

No need to get freaked out about this. You are young and you have plenty of time to get this problem corrected as long as you start now. Remember, diet and exercise first. Then, depending on the numbers, a statin later. Maybe you will do so well with the diet and exercise that you will not need statins. Just keep a close eye on your LDL.

Reply Reply