It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Levels alternate between normal to high

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
    Levels alternate between normal to high

I am at a loss. High cholesterol and diabetes run in my family. I am 53 year old female, petite, 5 foot tall and weigh around 98 lbs. My cholesterol levels were pretty high going back 10 years ago, meaning close to 300. then I ate whatever I wanted until I got checked regularly. Since then I have had lots of success with eating healthy and daily exercise. It has been as low as 193 and as high as 233 this year. Each year alternates between low and high. I am told to cut back on carbs, I see carbs are in everything you eat! I also told my sugar went from 92 to 102 this year. that scared me. I haven't exercised that much due to the heat here and I injured my ankle. I asked if fresh fruit can raise your glucose, she said absolutely. SO fruit isn't that great to eat twice a day??? I though I was doing myself good by eating fresh fruit and veggies. My dilemma is what to eat anymore? If I cut back I will lose weight I can't afford to lose weight. Any Suggestions. They said no need for meds yet but I'm afraid I'm going in that direction. My blood pressure is always normal.

2018 Numbers
    Total Cholesterol = 233
    Trigylcerides = 50
    HDL = 73
    VLDL = 10
    LDL = 150
    Glucose = 102

2017 Numbers
    Total Cholesterol = 204
    Trigylcerides = 58
    HDL = 72
    VLDL = 12
    LD = 120
    Glucose = 92

Last edited by babygirl127; 07-05-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Levels alternate between normal to high

Hey,

Your numbers still look good even though they've risen somewhat, Your HDL ratio is 3.19, your LDL/HDL ratio is 2.0 and your triglycerides 0.7. You might want to research the "how to's" of low carb eating. You actually have many choices within the low carb realm. Fruit is fine but not all fruit. Same with veggies. Cutting out sweets and snacks that are loaded with carbs will certainly help. Some carbs, like rice and other grains can be introduced in small quantity. There are supplements that can help to lower blood glucose levels. Berberine is one of them. I think many docs these days don't give enough weight to ratio's when looking at lipid panels; thus, many people get put on statins when they are not really necessary. I think that your own research will help to ease your fears.

Tess

Old 07-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
    babygirl127
    (female)

babygirl127 HB Userbabygirl127 HB User
    Re: Levels alternate between normal to high

[QUOTE=tess201;5485433]Hey,

Your numbers still look good even though they've risen somewhat, Your HDL ratio is 3.19, your LDL/HDL ratio is 2.0 and your triglycerides 0.7. You might want to research the "how to's" of low carb eating. You actually have many choices within the low carb realm. Fruit is fine but not all fruit. Same with veggies. Cutting out sweets and snacks that are loaded with carbs will certainly help. Some carbs, like rice and other grains can be introduced in small quantity. There are supplements that can help to lower blood glucose levels. Berberine is one of them. I think many docs these days don't give enough weight to ratio's when looking at lipid panels; thus, many people get put on statins when they are not really necessary. I think that your own research will help to ease your fears.

Tess[/QUOTE

Hello, thanks for your feedback. Yes thats what I thought. My doctor is not quick to put me on statin which is good. It is a choice. I am researching what I can eat. To be honest I didn't realize eating a banana every day could possibly be raising my darn sugar. So now only 3 times a week, I love bananas. So I will eat blueberries with my oatmeal instead. I am also cutting out pasta and rice to just once a week. I was making pasta 2 times a week to skip eating red meat. Thought I was doing myself good but I was shocked about the carbs in pasta! Thanks I am gonna get back to exercising too.

Last edited by babygirl127; 07-09-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Reply Reply