It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Borderline Total Chol/LDL but great HDL/TR and other numbers - should I worry?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
    tam5589
    (female)

tam5589 HB User
    Borderline Total Chol/LDL but great HDL/TR and other numbers - should I worry?

Hi Everyone,
    My apologies beforehand, as this is going to be long and rather details :-).

I went to get some basic blood work done last week, as I hadn't done that in 7 years. Everything came back well (even Vitamin B-12 and Iron, which are usually problem issues for vegetarians like me). The only issues I had were that both my LDL and total cholesterol were borderline. Here's the total lipid panel results:
    Total Chol: 234 (range 0-200)
    Triglycerides: 62 (range 0-150)
    HDL: 85 (range 50-60
    HDL risk factor: 2.8 (I confess I'm not quite sure what that is)
    LDL: 137 (range 0-99 for normal, borderline high 130-159)

I haven't yet met with my doctor (I have an appointment for the 31st) but I was warned by the doctor who went over the results with me (it was a walk-in clinic so it wasn't my doctor) that my doctor will probably want to put me on statins. I will say right now I do NOT want to go on medication. I talked to my mom, who is a retired nurse, and she thinks there is no need for me to go on meds.

A few things about me:
    - I am 48 years old and until now I have never had any major health issues other than chronic migraines. I am the kind who only goes to the doctor every 2 or 3 years for the flu or something like that (what brought me to the doctor last week was a sinus infection)
    - As mentioned above, I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo, so I'm not vegan) and my health and eating habits are pretty good (though they could stand some improvement)
    - My mom thinks that the borderline high levels are because of age. She's also had great blood work all her life and her levels start to rise in her 60's. My brother also never had any major health issues (other than seasonal allergies) and started having high cholesterol levels in his early 50's so there could be something to this
    - I know the first thing the doctor will probably tell me is to lose weight. I am in the overweight range for my height and age. I have a history of food obsession and ED and about 2 years ago I went with intuitive eating and it has been a lifesaver for me - I eat like a normal person, no binge eating, no food or diet obsessions. I am not prepared to risk that with going on any diet, though that doesn't mean I wouldn't make some dietary changes to what I eat if it would help lower my cholesterol. I won't do it with weight loss in mind and I won't count anything (calories, fat grams, etc) but I will replace foods that might put me more at risk with more cholesterol lowering foods, like nuts and seeds instead of cookies, etc. Also, FYI, when I did blood work 7 years ago, all my numbers were in the normal range and I was at least 20 pounds heavier than I am now. So I'm not sure weight is the issue for me.

With all this, what I'm researching now are ways that I can lower my cholesterol with lifestyle changes (excluding restrictive dieting with the goal of losing weight). I'm thinking along the lines of replacing some foods with others, exercising, doing yoga, supplements, etc.

I guess what I would like to know: Is there anyone who has been in the situation of borderline high and done lifestyle changes and it has helped lower their cholesterol without drugs?

Thank you for reading and sorry it's so long!
    Tam
    -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Borderline Total Chol/LDL but great HDL/TR and other numbers - should I worry?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tam5589 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I guess what I would like to know: Is there anyone who has been in the situation of borderline high and done lifestyle changes and it has helped lower their cholesterol without drugs? -
    Tam,

Yes, many people! Getting healthier is always a good idea but your ratios look great so I wouldn't worry about that. So many docs only look only at the TC but the ratios indicate risk factor and yours is low.

Tess

Reply Reply