It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Red Yeast Rice Results

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 PM   #1
    geeps20
    (male)

geeps20 HB User
    Red Yeast Rice Results

MY LDL was creeping up from 110 in late 2016 to 131 late 2017. I started taking Nature's Plus RYR, 600 MG, one tablet at night starting Jan of this year. I'm pleased that my LDL dropped 25% to 98.
    However, not so pleased that my HDL dropped from 46.3 to 36, 22%. It was 36 2 years ago as well. Could the RYR have affected my HDL?
    Total cholesterol from 205 to 155, Trigs from 141 to 107.
    No life style or diet changes from last year except the RYR.
    So, overall my ratios improved slightly, but not thrilled with my HDL now slipping below desired low range of 40.
    Thoughts?

Last edited by geeps20; 09-22-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
    tess201
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
    Re: Red Yeast Rice Results

Flush Niacin can definitely raise your HDL but you have to start with a very low dose and ramp up very slowly. Congrats on your LDL!

Tess

Old 02-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
    Alen442
    (male)

Alen442 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by geeps20 View Post
    MY LDL was creeping up from 110 in late 2016 to 131 late 2017. I started taking Nature's Plus RYR, 600 MG, one tablet at night starting Jan of this year. I'm pleased that my LDL dropped 25% to 98.
    However, not so pleased that my HDL dropped from 46.3 to 36, 22%. It was 36 2 years ago as well. Could the RYR have affected my HDL?
    Total cholesterol from 205 to 155, Trigs from 141 to 107.
    No life style or diet changes from last year except the RYR.
    So, overall my ratios improved slightly, but not thrilled with my HDL now slipping below desired low range of 40.
    Thoughts?
    Hi there,

Please take into consideration your overall clinical picture. For example, your age, lifestyle (e.g. tobacco use), coronary artery disease (diagnosed by physician), previous hospitalizations for angina/NSTEMI/STEMI, etc. Isolated numbers generally do not tell us much as we need the entire picture in order to tell you what your goal should be.

HDL is generally improved by exercise and medications, but an isolated lower HDL number with a low LDL, total cholesterol is difficult to interpret.

For example, I am 26 years old. I have a great LDL and total cholesterol but my HDL is 26 (last I checked). Current evidence is lacking to make a reasonable suggestion for medications based on an isolated low HDL number.

If you are fairly healthy with no CAD, do not smoke, have no HTN, diabetes, are exercising and eat a well-balanced diet, I would not worry about your HDL of 36.

All the best

Last edited by Administrator; 02-18-2019 at 04:30 PM.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I had a similar issue trying to lower my LDL with red Yeast.. I stopped taking it and everything leveled out except my HDL crept up..

I started taking plant sterols instead. My HDL and LDL are now perfect and have stayed that way for over 3 years.

Look into plant sterols at your local health food store.

Reply Reply