It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Super High Lipids & Diabetes

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
    TexasDBA
    (male)

TexasDBA HB User
    Super High Lipids & Diabetes

Hey gang, brand new as you can tell.

I've always been on the high side for triglycerides my whole life. 200, 300, 400's not that abnormal but total cholesterol usually around 200 with my HDL's being a little low.

I am a Type II diabetic and I once had an A1C come in at 10.5. At this time my total cholesterol was up around 300 and my triglycerides were an outstanding 1600.

Long comes a month ago. I noticed when they took my blood it actually looked milky in the tube. Thought nothing of it. Was taking oral meds for diabetes, simvastatin 20 mg for cholesterol and fenofibrate for triglycerides.

Next day my doc called me and was alarmed. She wanted me to come in a retest through a different lab.

A1C = 12.4
    Cholesterol = 524
    Total Triglycerides = 4100 (not a mistype)

Doc said she really didn't know what to do. She has never seen anything like this.

I retested the next day after starving for about 24 hours and everything was the same except triglycerides came down to 3100.

They maxed out my oral meds for diabetes. Took me off simvastatin and put me on 80 mg of Lipitor and 10 mg of something else that is supposed to help keep intestines from absorbing cholesterol.

Anyway, I started the following:

Only eating fish or chicken breast with either broccoli, spinach or Brussel sprouts.

I walk 30 minutes in the morning and 45 in the evening every day.

My blood sugar plummeted within a week to where I never see it more than 120 and that's two hours after eating. Normal #'s now are 75-100 90% of the time. This is better numbers than I have seen since I was first diagnosed diabetic 12 years ago.

All this explanation to come to the following questions:

1.) Is there a direct connection between the high A1C and outrageous lipids? Is it reasonable to think that the real problem is the A1C and not diet. Pharmacist says there is no way I can eat myself into that much cholesterol and triglycerides.

2.) Is it possible to expect to bring my lipids back under control within 1 month by just med changes, exercise, diet and new meds?

Reason I ask that is because doc is retesting my lipids on Monday and has talked about the "I can't afford it" Repatha injections or being put in a hospital where they do something similar to dialysis to pull the fat out of the blood stream.

Anyone been through something similar to what I am seeing in myself now?

Thanks for any info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
    TexasDBA
    (male)

TexasDBA HB User
    Re: Super High Lipids & Diabetes

Well I guess I answered my own question. I will go ahead and post since I hope it may help someone else searching later on.

As I suspected, getting my Diabetes under control would be key. My number have been the best I've ever seen. As a result of that combined with serious diet and exercise I am now:

< than 1 month from the other readings …

Cholesterol went from 524 to 95
    Triglycerides from 4100 to 84

Very, very low carb diet and 30 minutes of walking in the morning and 45 minutes of walking in the evening.

The following user gives a hug of support to TexasDBA:
    Machaon (10-06-2018)
    Old 10-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
    jfms99
    (male)

jfms99 HB User
    Re: Super High Lipids & Diabetes

Good for you. I had resisted Statins for a long time. This week I had my physical, AIC 6.7, but Cholesterol too high, especially Tri at 410. So I am refining my Low Carb Diet, I was eating too many eggs, so those are out as well as Red Meat. I walk 2.5 miles a day but may go back to 3 miles and I now doing Tai Chi classes and I think they are really helping. Good luck, your on the right road to good health.

Closed Thread