It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Cholesterol high despite Plant based Whole foods No Oil diet

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-23-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
    Rickster44
    (male)

Rickster44 HB User
    Cholesterol high despite Plant based Whole foods No Oil diet

I am quite disappointed that after six months on a WFPB diet, with no oil, no dairy, no meat, no sugar, and losing 25 lbs, that my cholesterol numbers have actually gone up. That's not what I expected at all. So now my cardiologist has told me to up my Crestor dose from 10mg to 20mg.

i really thought diet and lifestyle would have a dramatic effect and that perhaps I could drop the meds. So, again, very disappointing. Yes, I need to persevere but this is awfully disappointing. Anybody else with similar stories? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Cholesterol high despite Plant based Whole foods No Oil diet

What are your numbers:total, HDL, LDL and triglicerides?

Old 11-24-2018, 04:53 AM   #3
    horizons
    (female)

horizons HB User

Have you looked into other diets.

I was told to go on the Mediterranean Diet to loose weight, for heart health, and for high cholesterol. I've been on the diet for about four years now and have lost 130 pounds (and kept it off for two years), my cardiac function has improved which my cardiologist didn't think possible with Mitral Valve Prolapse, and I haven't had high cholesterol in years.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

Dear Rickster,

Oh, that would be very upsetting!

I have read that it is now known that cholesterol in the circulation is manufactured by the liver and is not directly from the cholesterol that we eat. High blood cholesterol that does not respond to diet change is usually genetic, but there are still ways to deal with it..

PCSK9 inhibitors like Praluent and other medications, like Zetia and bile acid sequestrants (cholestyramine or colestipol) may work for you. Some people can’t tolerate the medications or their cholesterol is so high that medication doesn’t work. If so, LDL apheresis can remove cholesterol from the blood. It's like dialysis, and is done every one to two weeks.

So, I don't believe that upping your Crestor dose will make any difference. But you could try, then if that does not help I suggest that you contact the Mayo clinic to find a doctor that understands these things.

Don't be discouraged. You just need to look in a different direction.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
    Rickster44
    (male)

Rickster44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
    What are your numbers:total, HDL, LDL and triglicerides?
    My HDL is 1.03 mmol/L (39.8 mg/DL); LDL is 2.4 mmol/L (93 mg/DL); Tryglycerides is 107 mmol/L (41.4 mg/DL).

With my two stents, I do fall into the "have heart disease" category so my LDL SHOULD be below 1.8 (70 mg/DL) and my cardiologist says, ideally below 1.6 (62 mg/DL).

The disconcerting thing is that earlier this year, my LDL was 1.44 (55.7 mg/DL) so going up to 2.4 mmol/L (93 mg/DL) after going plant-based is discouraging.

I sure appreciate the responses on this forum, it's nice to talk to knowledgeable people.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
    Rickster44
    (male)

Rickster44 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by horizons View Post
    Have you looked into other diets.

I was told to go on the Mediterranean Diet to loose weight, for heart health, and for high cholesterol. I've been on the diet for about four years now and have lost 130 pounds (and kept it off for two years), my cardiac function has improved which my cardiologist didn't think possible with Mitral Valve Prolapse, and I haven't had high cholesterol in years.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I think I need to give this a little time, it's only been six months. Good for you to lose 130 lbs, wow that's significant. I think I need to keep pressing on, I've lost 25 lbs but could use another 10-15 to get down to an ideal weight. Perhaps that will help me out on the cholesterol front.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
    Rickster44
    (male)

Rickster44 HB User

Thanks YaYa. I am thinking I am battling genetics for sure. To have such an increase in cholesterol without eating any dietary cholesterol for six months must mean my body is good at producing it. I am sure hopeful the increased dose of Crestor drops the numbers down. Or perhaps if I can lose another 10 lbs that might help too. Although it is nice to know there are other options, having to go in every couple of weeks for LDL apheresis is a bit scary for me.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #8
    yayagirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

yayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB Useryayagirl HB User

It would scare me, too!

Old 11-27-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

The fact that your cholesterol went up after 6 months on a WFPB diet seems strange or counterintuitive. However, looking more closely might reveal some possible reasons.

1) You didn't say anything about exercise: Too much or too little may be counterproductive. Moderate exercise like walking can relieve stress, whereas too much exercise can actually create stress. And creating stress is a great way to raise LDL.

2) If some type of stress came into your life, like a new job or constant arguing with someone, that could raise your stress level and your LDL.

3) When you switched to a WFPB diet, did you switch to whole grains instead of baked goods made with white refined flour? Did you make sure to get enough good fats in your diet?

4) When you're losing weight, where do you think the fat goes? It goes into your bloodstream. For some people, that has been known to cause a temporary rise in cholesterol. Therefore, it may be best to wait until you lose all the excess weight and then allow time for everything to adjust. Maybe 3 to 6 months?

I doubt that you have done any harm by losing weight and having your cholesterol increase temporarily. Overall, assuming items 1 through 3 are satisfactory, my opinion is that you're on the right track. I would just keep doing what you had been doing.

Last edited by JohnR41; 11-27-2018 at 12:25 PM.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #10
    Rickster44
    (male)

Rickster44 HB User

Thanks John for your detailed information. This is encouraging. I do think stress might have alot to do with the rise. I need to make some smarter decisions to simplify my life a bit. I do exercise regularly every day, I don't kill myself but I do make myself sweat and a bit of huffing for 30 to 60 minutes. I eat only whole grains and stay away from sweet baked goods. The pharmacist also recommended that I take my Crestor medication at night since that it when most of the cholesterol is produced from the body. When my numbers were lower before, I had been taking them just before going to bed. Since then I switched to the morning. So, now I have gone back to my old routine. We shall see if that makes any difference.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
    Machaon
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Hi Rickster!

High cholesterol numbers might not be as bad as they seem.

If you'd like to learn more about the quality of your cholesterol, you might want to have your cholesterol particle size checked to determine the extent to which your cholesterol is actually healthy or unhealthy.

If interested, read my thread: Cholesterol particle size. The bigger the cell size the better? at the link: https://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-cholesterol/1038989-cholesterol-particle-size-bigger-cell-size-better.html

⇒ My cheap asthma inhaler is Fluticasone Nasal Spray!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

⇒ 900 weight lifts and 600 knee bends daily
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Machaon For This Useful Post:
    yayagirl (01-08-2019)
    Reply Reply

Tags
    cholesterol, crestor, vegan