It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• cholesterol results 9 years on

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #1
    saintric
    (male)

saintric HB User
    cholesterol results 9 years on

hi i posted a thread on here back in 2010 when i was given the news my cholesterol was high (7.1) and went through a couple of years hard work to get it down naturally eventually reaching 4.6

since then i will admit i have put on a lot of weight and eating very unhealthy so i went for another test and my results have come back

total 6.6
    hdl 1.1
    ldl 4.5
    tg 2.1

i am yet to see my doctor about these results but im certain she will recommend statins something i really don't want to take would it be unwise at this point to not take them and get it down naturally like i did before? are these numbers terrible or are we talking borderline bad?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: cholesterol results 9 years on

Here's my opinion: As long as you are serious about cleaning up your diet and sticking to it, I think you will be better off not taking any kind of drug. If you're wondering about risk, there's a risk either way. Nothing is 100% safe.

You put on a lot of weight in about 6 years and didn't get a heart attack. So now if you start eating a heart healthy diet and start losing weight, I think your risk will gradually become less, not more. So, although I can't guarantee it, I think your chances of doing well are very good.

About the numbers: As long as you can maintain a heart healthy diet and gradually lose the excess weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. Your body should respond favorably.

Talk this over with your doctor and tell her what your plan is. Tell her you would like to try to reduce your cholesterol naturally and would like to come back in 6 months to see what progress you're making. Sometimes, for some people, cholesterol adjusts slowly. So don't get discouraged. The biggest change might show up when you get tested after one year.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
    saintric
    (male)

saintric HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    Here's my opinion: As long as you are serious about cleaning up your diet and sticking to it, I think you will be better off not taking any kind of drug. If you're wondering about risk, there's a risk either way. Nothing is 100% safe.

You put on a lot of weight in about 6 years and didn't get a heart attack. So now if you start eating a heart healthy diet and start losing weight, I think your risk will gradually become less, not more. So, although I can't guarantee it, I think your chances of doing well are very good.

About the numbers: As long as you can maintain a heart healthy diet and gradually lose the excess weight, I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. Your body should respond favorably.

Talk this over with your doctor and tell her what your plan is. Tell her you would like to try to reduce your cholesterol naturally and would like to come back in 6 months to see what progress you're making. Sometimes, for some people, cholesterol adjusts slowly. So don't get discouraged. The biggest change might show up when you get tested after one year.
    Thank you for the reply my doctor did say she will want me on statins if its high and would rather i didnt try naturally as im at risk. When I had high cholesterol in 2010 i worked really hard to get it from 7.1 down to 4.5

I believe I can do it again my only fear is maybe i had high cholesterol before 2010 i just never had it checked before then so lets say its been high for 15 years for example how much plaque has built up already? I did have a nuclear stress scan 3 years ago for my PVC beats and was told my heart at that point looks fine so im not sure if thats a good indicator?

I really dont want to take statins at this point so i will work hard on getting healthy i just hope the damage isnt already done

Old 04-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

I just did a quick search to refresh my memory as to what it takes to reverse cardiovascular disease. It's almost the same diet that I have been following since about 2005. It calls for fresh fruit and vegetables, whole (intact) grains, legumes and limited amounts of nuts and seeds. What it amounts to is a plant-based diet.

However, you can accomplish the same thing by including a small amount of low fat animal protein. For example, a couple of egg whites in the morning and small portions of fish at other times.

Eating beans in place of meat can be the best thing you can do for your arteries.

I had a friend who went to a cardiologist and found that his main artery was 80% clogged with plaque. He never had chest pains, his main symptom was extreme fatigue. He couldn't do anything but sit all day because of it. He was waiting to get a call from his doctor's office for an appointment to get bypass surgery.

When I found out about this, I recommended that he try the heart healthy diet while he was waiting to hear from the doctor. He went on the diet and the results were amazing. within a week he was doing household chores. Within two weeks he was cutting his grass and going out to play golf. His plaque became less and less as time went on.

The biggest danger comes from going off the diet. After about 3 years he got tired of being on the diet. He said he felt like he wasn't having any fun, so he gradually went back to his old eating habits and eventually needed bypass surgery. At his advanced age it took him about 3 months to recover from the surgery. Although he recovered from the surgery, he was never the same after that because of other blood vessels that were getting clogged. A heart bypass only fixes the main arteries.

Reply Reply