It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



High Cholesterol Message Board

  • Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

  • Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 08-27-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    My Dad has been diagnosed with a buildup of plaque in his Coratid arteries and was put on statins to keep his cholesterol in check. As a result, his cholesterol numbers have been normal, but his latest ultrasound check of his Coratid arteries is showing an increased buildup up plaque in one of them to the point that the doctor is now recommending surgery to clean the plaque out.

    I don't understand how this buildup could continue even though my Dad is on statins and his cholesterol levels are normal. He also has never smoked or has never drank alchohol and has his blood pressure under control, all of which are said to be causes of plaque buildup in the arteries.

    Is there any other way to prevent the plaque buildup?

     
    Reply With Quote
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 08-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2006
    Location: USA
    Posts: 12,853
    MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    It can be hereditary... unfortunately some people just inherit this from their families.
    __________________
    RRMS- dx 05

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Florida, U.S.A.
    Posts: 2,354
    JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    He also has never smoked or has never drank alchohol and has his blood pressure under control, all of which are said to be causes of plaque buildup in the arteries.

    Is there any other way to prevent the plaque buildup?
    You said he has his blood pressure under control but didn't say how. It could mean through careful diet, exercise, stress control, weight control, and getting enough sleep. Or it could mean that he takes blood pressure medication.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    You said he has his blood pressure under control but didn't say how. It could mean through careful diet, exercise, stress control, weight control, and getting enough sleep. Or it could mean that he takes blood pressure medication.
    It's through medication.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Florida, U.S.A.
    Posts: 2,354
    JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    It's through medication.
    It might be almost impossible to turn things around at this point when his doctor is already recommending surgery. Lifestyle changes should have begun long ago to avoid taking medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.

    To make changes, one would have to know what his current lifestyle is and what changes he would be willing to make. Older people are often unwilling to make all the necessary modifications, especially if it involves a high percentage of body fat.

    Depending on what his doctor says, he might need to get the operation very soon, then there will be time to think about lifestyle modifications so as to keep his arteries from becoming clogged again.

    Just to give you some basics on what is needed: A plant based diet of natural whole foods and avoidance of processed foods (i.e., fast food, fried foods, vegetable oils, and juices etc.) Moderate exercise like walking is beneficial. Avoid stress and get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Put emphasis on non-sweet fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, limited whole grains, beans, and limited nuts & seeds.

     
    Reply With Quote
    The Following User Says Thank You to JohnR41 For This Useful Post:
    StayFit42 (08-29-2019)
    Old 08-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    It might be almost impossible to turn things around at this point when his doctor is already recommending surgery. Lifestyle changes should have begun long ago to avoid taking medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.

    To make changes, one would have to know what his current lifestyle is and what changes he would be willing to make. Older people are often unwilling to make all the necessary modifications, especially if it involves a high percentage of body fat.

    Depending on what his doctor says, he might need to get the operation very soon, then there will be time to think about lifestyle modifications so as to keep his arteries from becoming clogged again.

    Just to give you some basics on what is needed: A plant based diet of natural whole foods and avoidance of processed foods (i.e., fast food, fried foods, vegetable oils, and juices etc.) Moderate exercise like walking is beneficial. Avoid stress and get 7 to 8 hours of sleep. Put emphasis on non-sweet fresh fruit, non-starchy vegetables, limited whole grains, beans, and limited nuts & seeds.
    You're right about how he might not be very open to change. I've told him about dietary changes, but he isn't very interested. I've been trying to make them for myself, seeing what can happen (and what happened to my mom as well, which I used to try to get my brother to change, but to no avail).

    Even if he continues on a substandard diet, wouldn't the statins that have gotten his cholesterol levels back to normal do the trick? I mean, if his cholesterol numbers are good (which they are now), what would continue to make the plaque in his arteries build up? He is still rather active, like doing yard work, mowing the lawn with a walk-behind mower, trimming bushes, shoveling snow, etc., so he's not entirely a couch-potato.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #7
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Florida, U.S.A.
    Posts: 2,354
    JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    You're right about how he might not be very open to change. I've told him about dietary changes, but he isn't very interested. I've been trying to make them for myself, seeing what can happen (and what happened to my mom as well, which I used to try to get my brother to change, but to no avail).

    Even if he continues on a substandard diet, wouldn't the statins that have gotten his cholesterol levels back to normal do the trick? I mean, if his cholesterol numbers are good (which they are now), what would continue to make the plaque in his arteries build up? He is still rather active, like doing yard work, mowing the lawn with a walk-behind mower, trimming bushes, shoveling snow, etc., so he's not entirely a couch-potato.
    This is a complicated subject to explain but, in general, there's a lot more to vascular disease than getting one's cholesterol down to a certain level. For example, consuming the wrong foods can lead to "leaky gut syndrome" which then can lead to an autoimmune disease and inflammation of the arteries. Inflammation will likely destroy the delicate endothelium lining of the arteries. And that can lead to plaque build up.

    In other words, everything is connected and one thing can lead to another. And some studies have shown that Statins only help about 1% of those taking the drug. So the benefit seems to be overstated by those who prescribe it and the side effects are understated. One source I found stated that Statins may even stimulate atherosclerosis and heart failure. So I wouldn't put too much faith in Statins.

    I went to a free lecture one day by a doctor who had a medical degree and a degree in nutrition. And he had nothing good to say about Statins. He spent the whole time (1&1/2 hours) warning of the dangers of taking Statins. And he had scientific studies to back what he was saying. If you have the time, maybe you could do some research of your own. There are many different sources warning about Statins.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts: 5,236
    quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Some people cannot exist without statins regardless of diet, food or other changes. It's not a failure to be on statins, and some people cannot mentally or emotionally make changes. Genes rule the game much of the time.

    Has your dad been checked for underlying liver disease or diabetes?

    q
    __________________
    It's all a matter of perspective!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
    This is a complicated subject to explain but, in general, there's a lot more to vascular disease than getting one's cholesterol down to a certain level. For example, consuming the wrong foods can lead to "leaky gut syndrome" which then can lead to an autoimmune disease and inflammation of the arteries. Inflammation will likely destroy the delicate endothelium lining of the arteries. And that can lead to plaque build up.

    In other words, everything is connected and one thing can lead to another. And some studies have shown that Statins only help about 1% of those taking the drug. So the benefit seems to be overstated by those who prescribe it and the side effects are understated. One source I found stated that Statins may even stimulate atherosclerosis and heart failure. So I wouldn't put too much faith in Statins.

    I went to a free lecture one day by a doctor who had a medical degree and a degree in nutrition. And he had nothing good to say about Statins. He spent the whole time (1&1/2 hours) warning of the dangers of taking Statins. And he had scientific studies to back what he was saying. If you have the time, maybe you could do some research of your own. There are many different sources warning about Statins.
    Without statins, my Dad had higher cholesterol levels. Now with them, he is seeing the supposed effects of having those levels even though he doesn't have them. I'll have to look at the leaky gut syndrome thing.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Some people cannot exist without statins regardless of diet, food or other changes. It's not a failure to be on statins, and some people cannot mentally or emotionally make changes. Genes rule the game much of the time.

    Has your dad been checked for underlying liver disease or diabetes?

    q
    All I know is that he's been given blood tests to check numbers on many things, most of which I don't even know what they mean. His blood sugar seems to be under control though. Nothing has been said by his doctor about liver disease.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #11
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Florida, U.S.A.
    Posts: 2,354
    JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StayFit42 View Post
    Without statins, my Dad had higher cholesterol levels. Now with them, he is seeing the supposed effects of having those levels even though he doesn't have them. I'll have to look at the leaky gut syndrome thing.
    Yes, leaky gut syndrome can cause inflammation but having a high percentage of body fat can also cause inflammation.

    I've been doing a lot of reading about atherosclerosis lately. There are many deficiencies that can cause it, like Zinc, Magnesium, vitamin D etc. It's a long list.

    However, I found something that sounds very promising. It's Co-Q10. Our liver produces a lot of it when we are young but less as we get older. Just today I read about studies that were done with people suffering from atherosclerosis. No exact dosage was given, it just said the study participants took from 75mg to 600mg. The result was that most of them improved to the point where they were able to either reduce or eliminate their medications.

    It's very exciting, but of course they always advise people to get permission from their doctor first. Why don't you do some research on this and see if you come up with the same as I did.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Old 09-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #12
    StayFit42
    Member
    (male)
     
    Join Date: Sep 2013
    Posts: 98
    StayFit42 HB User
    Re: Plaque build-up even with normal Chol. levels

    I just took a look at Co-Q10 as to what Mayo Clinic has to say about it. It's difficult to say whether or not it's something my Dad would benefit from vs. taking statins or not. Of course, I'd have to talk to his doctor about it.

     
    Reply With Quote
    Reply Reply




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.





    2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!