It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• High Cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
    designbo
    (male)

designbo HB User
    High Cholesterol

Hello all;
    I have been away for a few years but am back again to ask for some advice on the best way to lower my cholesterol numbers with out using a drug. Just got my blood drawn (fasting) for my upcoming annual physical appt. with my family doctor this Thursday. I have a family history of heart disease with my parents and have always struggled to keep my LDL down even though I am not overweight and exercise three (3) times per week.

Here are the recent numbers:
    Total Cholesterol > 245
    HDL Cholesterol > 56
    LDL Cholesterol > 164
    LDL/HDL Ratio > 2.9

In the past, my doctor wanted me to try a statin (Fluvastatin/40mg) which I reluctantly agreed to. Took it for 3 months with no improvement. Next he said let's try Lipitor (Atorvastatin/20 mg). I had been on that for one month when I noticed what I believed to be side effects from taking these statins (short term memory loss & insomnia). My sleep life sucks!

I am posting today to ask for any suggestions to help lower that LDL number without taking a statin. I really hate drugs to begin with anyway. I did try RYR a few years back and it worked pretty well but that too is a sort of statin I believe. Let me know what you think.

Thank you all!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol

Hi designbo,

The most obvious answer is to lower your consumption of cholesterol. But I'm sure you already thought of that. Although, some people don't process dietary cholesterol as well as others so you may have to cut back more than average.

Also, it will help if you eat a (plant based) high fiber diet to the point where you have two bowel movements per day. That's how excess cholesterol gets removed from the body. Eat a wide variety of natural whole foods.

Another important way to lower LDL cholesterol is through stress control. Stress can actually raise your LDL. And everyone is different so it may be worse for some people. Learn to relax in situations that are normally stressful.

Exercising 3 times per week is good, whatever that consists of. But some form of moderate exercise, like walking, is good to do every day. For example, 20 minutes of brisk walking every day. Also, if you're sitting for long periods of time it's a good idea to get up and stretch once in a while.

Not getting a good night's sleep is likely to make things worse.

Bottom line: There's no magic bullet - it's everything that has to do with lifestyle.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
    designbo
    (male)

designbo HB User
    Re: High Cholesterol

Thanks JohnR for your response. I think stress has played a large role in my elevated cholesterol primarily due to our teenage daughter. She has a lot of problems (ADHD, depression, anxiety) that is causing much grief for both my wife and I. I tried taking a yoga class twice a week and it feels good for the physical body but I don't think it is clearing my head much. I lost 15 lbs. this past year due to our teen. I am at 160 right now and trying to actually gain weight.
    I don't eat much red meat at all and mostly eat turkey and chicken products.
    I will try and research what you stated about a "plant based" high fiber diet.
    Thanks and God bless!

Reply Reply