It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Generic Livalo--doesn't seem to cause muscle pain

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #1
    CHK
    (female)

CHK HB User
    Lightbulb Generic Livalo--doesn't seem to cause muscle pain

After years of dealing with high cholesterol and trouble taking cholesterol medications, I've found a medication that lowers it without causing muscle pains! I'm sharing this in case the information can help others.

I am one of those people who have problems taking cholesterol lowering medications of any kind because it resulted not only in severe muscle pain but extremely elevated liver enzymes. I'm not talking just statins but bile acid sequestrants and a myriad of other things. And nothing I did otherwise--exercising, exercising more, losing weight, going to a completely vegetarian diet--lowered my cholesterol. In fact with each new "healthy" habit I acquired my cholesterol went UP.

My doctor finally had me try Livalo which is normally prescribed at 4 mg per pill. After much trial and error I was finally able to take a 1 mg dose three times per week without too much muscle pain. Even then I would have to take a drug "holiday" after 6 months or so to let the pains subside. For some reason the Livalo never did elevate my liver enzymes even when it did cause muscle pain and it got my cholesterol down to 230 or so from a high in the 300's.

Then my health insurer no longer wanted to cover the Livalo! After some research I discovered that there is a generic for Livalo called pitavastatin but it's not sold in the U.S. So my doctor wrote me a paper scrip (instead of sending it to my pharmacy electronically) for 100 of the 2 mg Livalo which I used to order the generic from a certified Canadian pharmacy. I planned to cut the pills in half but decided to try the 2 mg pills every third day. After 3 months on this regimen my cholesterol went below 200 for the first time in over 20 years and LDL etc were in normal range for the first time as well. And no pain! Over the last 8 months, I've gradually increased how much I'm taking to 2 mg every other day. And so far, still no muscle pain.

Why the generic works without causing the negative side effects is a mystery. But for sure it works for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply