It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lysine reverses-reverses, yes reverses heart disease in weeks?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-10-2003, 09:34 PM   #1
    SlaMBoT!

SlaMBoT! HB User
    Lysine reverses-reverses, yes reverses heart disease in weeks?

I recently had heard about this and have 3 friends trying it now. Something like 3000-5000mgs of lysine and 3000-5000mgs of vitamin c for people with blockages. I have seen many commentaries on this, I mean people with 80 -100% blockages reversing, yes reversing, I said reversing it in weeks and trying it myself. I dont have the disease, well at least to the point of problems but have had high cholesterol. Lysine has no know side effects up to over 6000 mgs per day or more. Vitamin C can hurt with prolonged over like 9,000mgs or somethingmgs. Kidneys potentially. So I am doing 2-3k of C and 2-3k of lysine for 4-6 weeks and then backing of to 2mg of C and 1mg of lysine. The studies that your body can't use all the C, I don't believe in the least and have seen otherwise. Maybe buy it from some of the vendors here on this site and see? I figure it can't hurt me so we are trying it. I have seen some studies where people have felt better within days but don't have the links right now and have to check if they are ***. Not kidding. If anyone wants to try, give it a go and post your results!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2003, 04:27 AM   #2
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlaMBoT!
    I recently had heard about this and have 3 friends trying it now. Something like 3000-5000mgs of lysine and 3000-5000mgs of vitamin c for people with blockages. I have seen many commentaries on this, I mean people with 80 -100% blockages reversing, yes reversing, I said reversing it in weeks and trying it myself...If anyone wants to try, give it a go and post your results!
    Since the regimen is touted as healing the artery lining and reversing blockage, but it is not touted as reducing cholesterol, how do you anticipate knowing if it is working or not?

Old 11-11-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Most of the claims for these isolated amino acids (and there have been MANY) have been shown over time to be pure hokum. Arginine and ornithine make you muscular and long lived .
    All they do is make the manufacturers rich.

Specifically on pure lysine: Gelatine has long been thought to be a useless dietary protein because it's virtually all lysine, a completely unbalance protein.
    So if you want to try this method, you can do it cheaply with a plate of Jello every night.
    BTW, it's SUPPOSED to give you healthy nails!

Nice taste, but I wouldn't count on any heart benefits.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:47 PM   #4
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    The concept of using Vitamin C, Lysine, and Proline is based on the Pauling-Rath Theory. Pauling believed that atherosclerosis is largely the result of a chronic Vitamin C deficiency. Optimal blood levels of Vitamin C are needed to synthesize collagen, that substance which is vital to the health, strength, and elasticity of arteries. Pauling reasoned that if blood levels of Vitamin C are sub-optimal, the arteries will weaken and become damaged. The lipoprotein(a) circulating in the blood serves as a repair mechanism, depositing as plaque at these damaged sites. Actually, if it didn't, the person may eventually hemorrhage and bleed to death. According to Pauling, most of the deposited plaque consists of lipoprotein(a), along with oxidized LDL carried along with it.

Pauling proved his point by testing his theory on guinea pigs, which, like humans, are unable to make their own Vitamin C. Pauling separated the guinea pigs into two groups. Each group was fed the same diet, except that one group also was given the human equivalent of 2,000-3,000mg Vitamin C per day, while the other group received only the Vitamin C which was present in the diet. The group which had been given high doses of Vitamin C remained free of atherosclerosis, while the other group not receiving supplemental high doses of Vitamin C developed atherosclerosis.

The amino acids Lysine and Proline are considered to be lipoprotein(a) binders, meaning that they bind with circulating Lp(a). Pauling felt that by increasing the blood levels of Vitamin C and these amino acids that plaque formation will be inhibited, and existing plaque possibly reduced as well.

The theory appears to make sense, and there may actually be something to it. In fact, it seems to make more sense than the high cholesterol theory, which seems to be coming apart little by little. Nevertheless, since these three supplements are readily available, and are both safe and affordable for most people, it may very well be worth a try. Certainly it is to most everyone's advantage to supplement with extra Vitamin C.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
    SlaMBoT!

SlaMBoT! HB User
    "Since the regimen is touted as healing the artery lining and reversing blockage, but it is not touted as reducing cholesterol, how do you anticipate knowing if it is working or not?"

I wondered this myself. Yet I have seen too many people claiming it has reversed their blockages and in many cases lowered LDL. I have seen some sites where they have left their phone numbers and addresses. I may post this on the heart disorders board as well to see if some others are willing to try it. It would seem to me that if after checking with their doctors, they say go ahead and try this, then we could test it on some people we know are "real" if you will. As to the many claims comment. I say, why knock it unless you've tried it.

Old 11-12-2003, 06:00 AM   #6
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlaMBoT!
    Yet I have seen too many people claiming it has reversed their blockages and in many cases lowered LDL. I have seen some sites where they have left their phone numbers and addresses.
    slambot, I hope you can provide the sites you reference above. I would like to learn more of the claims from people indicating it has reversed their blockages. Thank you for this contribution.

Old 11-12-2003, 09:00 PM   #7
    SlaMBoT!

SlaMBoT! HB User
    Random quotes concerning the vitC and lysine combination, I don't know the sources:

"As I already told you, I previously had surgery which involved carotid and subclavian artery by-passes because of blockage. They informed me at that time that I would require additional surgery on the other side of my neck, as I also had over 70% blockage there. I started taking the Vit C/Lysine....... Three months ago I went back in for carotid dopplers (ultrasound), also had to do the radioactive treadmill test. They found NO noticeable blockage that would require further surgery, which in essence means . . . the 70% that was already there was reduced to less than 30%, and my heart is in perfect working condition."

One of Dr Pauling's notes:
    "Two and one half years ago, (1991) I was in a meeting of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States. I wa s in the hallway of the academy building and another member of the academy came up to me. He said, Dr. Pauling, " I have heart disease. My brother, my father both died of heart attacks. I am a biochemist but I was retired from the National Institutes of Health several years ago for disability because of my heart. I have had 3 by-pass operations, and I can't have any more by-pass operations. I like to walk, but I have trouble. After I have walked a little way I develop angina pectoris pain in my heart. If I take a nitroglycerin tablet, I can walk a little farther, and then I may have to take another nitroglycerin tablet." He went on to say," I have been taking vitamin C, 5 grams a day for several years because of your recommendation. Is there something else that I could do that would permit me to walk?"
    I said, "I could make a suggestion, it has never been tried before. Take Lysine."

Well I didn't need to tell him what Lysine was, that it's an essential amino acid and you have to get around a gram a day to be in good health, ..... So he said, how much shall I take? I thought, what do I know. I know that people get a gram or two in their food depending upon how much meat and fish they eat, that it's essential they have to get around one gram. It hasn't any known toxicity in animals or human beings. I said 5 grams, 5 grams a day. He thanked me.

A couple of months later he telephoned me and said its almost miraculous. I started taking a gram a day and 2 grams and so on. Within a month after I had reached 5 grams a day of Lysine in addition to my 5 grams of vitamin C, I could walk 2 miles without any nitroglycerin tablets or without any pain in the chest. He said he had cut down the amount of heart medicine he was taking in half. "It's almost miraculous," he said.

Another couple of months went by and he telephoned me and said that, "I was feeling so good the other day that I cut down a big tree in our yard, and was chopping it up for wood, and I was also painting the house, and I got chest pains", despite his 5 grams of lysine, so he said that he "went up to 6 grams of lysine and 6 grams of vitamin C and told me now "I am continuing chopping down, chopping up the tree and painting the house". And now a couple of years later he is still in fine health."

Old 11-19-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
    SlaMBoT!

SlaMBoT! HB User
    Has anyone tried this yet? My friends are procrastinating. The other one is seeing the doc on tuesday and asking him if it is ok to give it a try. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:08 AM   #9
    JoyK
    (female)

JoyK HB User
    Re: Lysine reverses-reverses, yes reverses heart disease in weeks?

My son suffers from canker sores in his mouth. He would get some really large ones and they would take forever to heal. I had read that Lysine helps heal them faster, and if taken on a regular basis will help prevent them coming so often.
    I discussed this my doctor and he said we needed to be careful because there is some proof that it raises your cholesterol....

Being that we have a high history of cholesterol in my family it concerned me.
    I discused this my doctor and he said we needed to be careful because there is some proof that it raises your cholesterol....

Being that we have a high history of cholesterol in my family it conserned me.

Old 12-06-2003, 10:15 AM   #10
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

I've been reading about it today on-line, since I have an interest in blockage issues and I'm in the learning phase of all this.
    So far have found warnings about Cholestrol and Gallstones. I have also read that it's rare to have a definciency. Every child does need it from growth but the amount needed comes from common foods. Good sources of lysine are found in cheese, eggs, lime beans, potatoes, milk, meat and brewer's yeast. I didn't find jell-o articles yet.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:02 PM   #11
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Snowmelts,

Well, you're probably correct in that most people aren't deficient in lysine. But Pauling's theory revolves around the premise that atherosclerosis is the result of a chronic (not acute) vitamin C deficiency, a form of chronic scurvy. As a result of sub-optimal vitamin C intake, collagen production, which is needed to maintain the health, elasticity, and structural integrity of the arteries, is diminished. This leads to a gradual weakening in the artery wall. A form of inflammation ensues, and cracks and fissures develop at sites which are under the highest degree of stress, exposing lysine from the damaged artery. Circulating lipoprotein(a) binds with the exposed lysine of the damaged artery and becomes deposited as plaque, along with oxidized LDL. Pauling's theory stipulates that by substantially increasing vitamin C intake, the health and integrity of the arteries can be restored. Proline and lysine are included as part of this protocol because they tend to bind with lipoprotein(a). The use of these two amino acids are particularly beneficial for those individuals with elevated Lp(a) levels. The theory is that by putting increasing amounts of these amino acids into the bloodstream, that circulating Lp(a) will tend to bind with them rather than becoming deposited as plaque. Pauling even suggested that this protocol may even result in a reduction in the amount of plaque. I think Pauling already proved his point using guinea pigs. Now, all that we need to do is determine its effectiveness in humans. In fact, there have been people who have tried this approach and experienced success with it.

Closed Thread