It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• zetia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-21-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
    pooh28152

pooh28152 HB User
    zetia

i was wondering if anyone knew if someone is taking 2 10 mg of zetia a day how far apart should you space the 2 pills?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
    Timmy&Cartman

Timmy&Cartman HB User
    Question Re: zetia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooh28152
    i was wondering if anyone knew if someone is taking 2 10 mg of zetia a day how far apart should you space the 2 pills?

If i am not mistaken Zetia is only dosed once a day and only has one strength of 10mg. Their studies showed no further benefit of increasing the dose to 20mg by taking two, hence the one dose. You might be wasting your money. Read their package insert

Old 04-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #3
    paborn
    (male)

paborn HB User
    Zetia only once a day

Yes, I agree. Everything I have researched about Zetia, says it should only be taken once a day and 10 mg is the only strength that is made. I take it first thing in the morning with my other meds and vitamins.

Old 04-16-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
    K403

K403 HB User
    Re: zetia

Zetia has been studied up to 40mg and has found not to be any better than the single 10mg tablet. It can be taken at anytime of the day, with or without food.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
    Madge

Madge HB User
    Re: zetia and irritable bowel?

I've had irritable bowel problems for years (sometimes just frequent movements and gas, other times diarrhea, other times constipation with bloating and cramps). I'm on a statin for cholesterol...Lescol XL (80 mg a day) now...and am wondering whether Zetia causes colon discomfort and problems for those with a history of irritable bowel syndrome. I've lost 25 lb, and my cholesterol is fine now (180's), but my doctor doesn't want to lower the dose of Lescol. (He had promised me that if my numbers got better as I lost weight and ate better, he'd reduce the dose, but now he says I should stay on the high dose.) I'm uncomfortable with that because I have muscle aches (liver enzymes are okay, though...one is a little elevated, but only a few points). I also hate to be on statins long term, because I've read they do cause muscle damage over time, and after all, the heart is a muscle. Anyone out there who takes Zetia and also has irritable bowel problems? I'm considering trying to switch to it. (My doctor is in love with statins, as so many are (maybe loves his perks from the pharmaceutical industry) , but he might let me make the switch. Any comments on Zetia that might help me?

Old 05-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #6
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I was on zetia but it caused my back to heart. I have been off of it form 2 or 3 months. I went to my dr yesterday and he put me back on it. I am debating if i will comply. I walk 3 to 4 miles a day and i am losing weight, about 5 pounds a month. i definitely can't walk far with zetia. I purchased some soybean powder and benecol to see if that will lower my cholesterol.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
    clemons21
    Inactive

clemons21 HB User

i like zetia better than statins i took zocor for 4 days and was a mess , took me 4 months or longer to feel normal again and lescol for 1 day but i felt muscle pain in my traps the next day so i quit it, zetia did give me a some heartburn but other than that it worked fine. personally i'm not taking any of that stuff i feel like i'm better off without it all.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:37 AM   #8
    clemons21
    Inactive

clemons21 HB User

jtu, buy Nature MadeŽ Cholest-Off you can get it at walmart or costco.com, along with your soybean powder it will probably work reasonably close to what zetia does, it did for me.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:36 AM   #9
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

Get a new doctor. CK levels can be normal even though there is severe muscle damage caused by statins. You lost weight, and now your cholesterol is down. Obviously you have changed your eating habits. That probably was more to do with the cholesterol loss and the medication. One question would you still take antiboidics after the infection is gone? No. Cholesterol is down, get off the drugs. Also research your cholesterol. not high cholesterol and why to take statins, but read what your body uses cholesterol for. If i were you I'd take this info to the doctor too. Guess he hasn't studied cholesterol. Lipitor plainly says on its label, not know to prevent heart disease and heart attacks. That should tell you something. You think that the makers of Lipitor would put that on their label if the FDA didn't require them to? That is because it has never been proven. Also cholesterol under 180 cause an increased risk of mortality.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    . Also cholesterol under 180 cause an increased risk of mortality.
    Well, I think that # is probably more like 160. Here's an article:

Cholesterol, Low Blood Levels

Not enough evidence exists to establish a link between cholesterol levels below 140 mg/dL and higher death rates. However, this is an important scientific question that merits further study.
    Background

Few would argue with the hypothesis that lowering blood cholesterol will lead to reduced rates of heart attack and death from coronary heart disease..

Some studies have shown a higher mortality in people with low cholesterol levels -- that is, lower than 160 mg/dL. These deaths are from noncoronary causes (some cancers, chronic respiratory disease, liver disease and trauma).

On the other hand, some evidence suggests that total cholesterol levels below 160 mg/dL aren't dangerous. In many countries a major portion of the population has cholesterol levels in this range throughout life without serious health problems. Also, less than 6 percent of the U.S. population has a cholesterol level below 160 mg/dL. It's rarely necessary to lower total cholesterol below that.

Old 05-28-2004, 02:20 PM   #11
    paborn
    (male)

paborn HB User

I started Zetia stand alone 6 weeks ago. One pill a day.

Just got my cholesterol values and it looks like the medication is doing its job without any noticable side effects!

Before Zetia
    LDL (BAD) - 162
    HDL (Good) - 59
    Triglycerides - 106
    Total - 242

After Zetia (six weeks)
    LDL (BAD) - 116
    HDL (Good) - 68
    Triglycerides -105
    Total - 205

Last edited by paborn; 05-28-2004 at 03:27 PM.

Old 05-28-2004, 05:56 PM   #12
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paborn
    I started Zetia stand alone 6 weeks ago. One pill a day.

Just got my cholesterol values and it looks like the medication is doing its job without any noticable side effects!

Before Zetia
    LDL (BAD) - 162
    HDL (Good) - 59
    Triglycerides - 106
    Total - 242

After Zetia (six weeks)
    LDL (BAD) - 116
    HDL (Good) - 68
    Triglycerides -105
    Total - 205
    Looking GOOD! That HDL jump is quite impressive, I don't think Zetia would do that Anyway, your beginning #s were much like mine across the board...and I have to say, with a TC/HDL ratio of 4 to begin with, I wonder if any treatment is required in the first place! Having said that, I went on Crestor. I just posted my results taking a low dose schedule alternating 5mg 4X week and 10mg 3X a week. So far, after 10 days, my total has gone from 250 (baseline) to 195 and I anticipate I should hit 170-180 in a month. You made a good choice with Zetia, since there is no effect on the liver....as opposed to Crestor. However, I've had NO symptoms on my low dosage either.

Old 06-05-2004, 06:30 AM   #13
    babyface

babyface HB User

I have been taking Zetia and Fish Oil for 3 months. I had lipid profile done in after 1 month and results were:
    BEFORE Zetia
    LDL: 143
    HDL: 62
    TC: 242
    TRIG: 187
    Ratio: 3.9
    SGOT: 24
    SGPT: 22 (liver enzymes)

AFTER ZETIA:
    LDL: 117
    HDL: 61
    TC: 192
    TRIG: 74
    Ratio: 3.1
    SGOT: 36 (normal 8-33)
    SGPT: 52 (normal 11-39)

My Dr states liver enzymes are high but thinks it is the Fish Oil causing the problem and not the Zetia. I'm thinking about stopping the Zetia and just relying ont the Fish Oil. Do you think it's the Fish Oil or Zetia? Also,will it damage your liver if enzymes stay elevated? Anyone out there that might give me insight?

Old 06-05-2004, 07:21 PM   #14
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by babyface
    I have been taking Zetia and Fish Oil for 3 months. I had lipid profile done in after 1 month and results were:
    BEFORE Zetia
    LDL: 143
    HDL: 62
    TC: 242
    TRIG: 187
    Ratio: 3.9
    SGOT: 24
    SGPT: 22 (liver enzymes)

AFTER ZETIA:
    LDL: 117
    HDL: 61
    TC: 192
    TRIG: 74
    Ratio: 3.1
    SGOT: 36 (normal 8-33)
    SGPT: 52 (normal 11-39)

My Dr states liver enzymes are high but thinks it is the Fish Oil causing the problem and not the Zetia. I'm thinking about stopping the Zetia and just relying ont the Fish Oil. Do you think it's the Fish Oil or Zetia? Also,will it damage your liver if enzymes stay elevated? Anyone out there that might give me insight?
    I can't see how either Zetia or fish oil would cause liver enzyme problems . How could they? Certainly fish oil couldn't be the culprit. The fish oil brought down your high TRIGS and the Zetia brought down the TC and LDL. I guess you could drop each separetly and test the enzymes to find out.

Old 06-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #15
    paborn
    (male)

paborn HB User

Zetia also brings down triglicerides.

Closed Thread