It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• hypothyroid and high cholesterol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #1
    NChar

NChar HB User
    hypothyroid and high cholesterol

To make a long story short. I'm 26. I had Graves Disease. Treated with radioactive iodine to ablate the thyroid. Treatment worked real well. I'm now Hypothyroid with a TSH of 53.98(normal 0.30-4.70)

My GP ran a cholesterol among other blood test for the first time. (i know that high chol and hypo are linked)My levels came back very high.

Cholersterol 300.85
    Triglycerides 553.58
    HDL 30.16
    LDL unsuitable due to triglycerides being high
    Chol/HDl ratio 9.97 (nomal below 4.40)

My questions are...
    Is it normal for the cholesterol to be this high with hypo? From what i have researched they are extremly high.

Could there be another problem?
    This is the first time he has ever checked them

It may take me awhile to regulate my thyroid level..so if my cholesterol stays this high can it cause damage to my heart?

My mom had a heart attack at 50 and 9 out of 10 of her brothers have had heart attacks. Also her farther died of heart failure in his early 60's. So you can see my concern with such a high familly history. Any advice would be helpfull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #2
    girlygirly
    Inactive

girlygirly HB User
    Re: hypothyroid and high cholesterol

Yes, when you are hypo high cholesterol is a symptom. You might want to ensure that you are eating no processed foods or refined foods (whiteflour, white rice, white pasta, etc..) An excellent supplement to take would be Coenzyme Q10, it improves overall blood circulation and it helps with high cholesterol. You really should be on a low-glycemic diet for optimum thyroid health. You might want to address other thyroid questions on the thyroid board also. Good Luck

Closed Thread