It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• muscle pains

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2004, 11:02 AM   #1
    dale55

dale55 HB User
    muscle pains

Hello everyone...

I have been reading all the posts and I am now convinced that my muscle pains are due to taking Lipitor. My doctor told me it was a side effect but didn't seem concerned. I have only been taking Lipitor (40 mg) since October and the pains started immediately in my shoulders...now it is in my legs. I had a terrible headache last night and still have it today (not due to celebrating the new year). I am wondering if this has anything to do with taking lipitor or is just a headach. I am not supposed to have a blood test until the end of January which is 3 months after starting Lipitor. That seems like a long time to suffer with the muscle pains. I am considering stopping the Lipitor today. Any advise? My numbers are:

TC 241
    TRIG 92
    VLDL 18.4
    CALC LDL 181.8
    DIRECT HDL 40.8

Other results that are indicated as high are ALT/SGPT 45 and GGT 92. I really don't know what any of it means.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Re: muscle pains

My comments are not to discount your pain. I don't doubt your condition.

On a related note, my cardiologist made an interesting comment to me this week. He said that when statins first came out over a dozen years ago, they prescribed it often and regularly. Before many people knew about statins and the "muscle pain" issues, he hardly ever had a patient complain of muscle pains. He saw these patients regularly but rarely had a patient comment on pains after taking the statin.

He said it is a somewhat regular occurrence that he will prescribe a statin now and within weeks have a patient complain of joint pain or shoulder pain, etc. The point was that the more people read and heard about "muscle pain" associated with statins the more people complain about it. But when there was little press about statins, there were very few complaints about muscle or joint pains.

My own inference from his conversation was the effect the mass media has on the societies collective mindset. Iím not stating a position just offering an observation.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
    dale55

dale55 HB User

I would agree with you but I did not know about the muscle pains and statins before talking to my doctor. Most of my visits to the doctor have been for my degenerative disc disease. I had been taking anti inflamatory meds for 3 months and the pain in my back was gone, however the shoulder pain started. I asked him about it and the doctor told me about the side effect of lipitor. I probably should have known through reading the information with the prescription (which I usually do)but I didn't read it this time. I have called my doctor to see about trying a different prescription but he has advised me to not take the lipitor for a week to see if that is what is causing the pains.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:07 AM   #4
    JB
    (female)

JB HB User

Hi

I disagree totally with the idea that the mind and media exposure is making the muscle pain!!! I have tried Zocor, Lipitor, Baycol (before it was banned), Niacin therapy (which didn't work), and just recently Pravachol. And after a certain length of time which varied with each drug, the same muscle aches and pains would set in. I have talked with 3 different drs. about this and all 3 agree that there are some people who just cannot tolerate statins for a long length of time without this very thing happening. After being off each of the those drugs for about 2 weeks, all aches and pains disappear. I also was in a study about this with the U of Southern Ca. which was about 2 years ago and they have reached the same conclusion. Right now I'm trying the red yeast rice with hoped for results yet to be seen. For me, this problem has been going on long before I knew that those drugs could be a factor. So for all of our minds to be collectively influenced enough to suffer indentical symptoms, I don't know. That seems just abit much to agree with, I 'm afraid.
    If anyone has any other solution to this problem, please let us all know very soon.
    Thanks.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JB
    Hi

I disagree totally with the idea that the mind and media exposure is making the muscle pain!!!
    That is not what was implied by my cardiologist. Where the drug is the cause of the pain, then it is the cause. The point was that there are likely many who believe they are experiencing statin caused pain that likely is not statin related. This is not an unusual concept. It occurs in every study with the placebo effect.

Old 01-12-2004, 10:43 AM   #6
    sunbird_owner
    (male)

sunbird_owner HB User

Dale,

You might want to take a peek at Dr. William Parsons book on controlling cholesterol with niacin. My LDL came down from 180 to 130. You have to order it - not in bookstores.

On second thought, you might want to take one niacin first as some people have a problem with flushing. It is best to take it right after a meal.

Good Luck!

Old 01-14-2004, 03:07 AM   #7
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

dale,

Are those numbers you gave us AFTER any length of time on 40 mg? Or are they you're BEFORE numbers? Your post makes it sound like AFTER but the numbers REALLY look like BEFORE to me!

They are horrible and indicate not much efficacy of the Lipitor?

I have some suggestions but won't go on at length til you fill me in on that first question.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #8
    dale55

dale55 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    dale,

Are those numbers you gave us AFTER any length of time on 40 mg? Or are they you're BEFORE numbers? Your post makes it sound like AFTER but the numbers REALLY look like BEFORE to me!

They are horrible and indicate not much efficacy of the Lipitor?

I have some suggestions but won't go on at length til you fill me in on that first question.
    The numbers were before taking Lipitor. I only took the Lipitor for about 6 weeks. The doctor said they were horrible too but I didn't think they were that bad. I am just learning about high cholesterol and the more I learn the more concerned I get. If I am understanding correctly, the total cholesterol isn't the bad part... it is the ratio. I have not taken Lipitor for almost 2 weeks now and I am not seeing much improvement in the shoulder pains. I am beginning to think it something else. I was supposed to call the doctor on Monday but haven't had time and wanted to see if a little more time off Lipitor would help.

I am not sure if this information is helpful or gives any clues as to what I should do. I am not overweight but I don't exercise as I should. I have a highly stressful job. I am female (my name is deceiving) and about to be 56. I also usually have very low blood pressure. I am anxious to hear your suggestions. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2004, 05:09 AM   #9
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Give it a month Dale.

That's what I did and I really didn't convince myself one way or another because my shoulder pain has come and gone for decades and I mangled both shoulders skiing in the 70's, knees in high school while Thomas Jefferson was president. So the pains have come and gone before the Lipitor and I can;t really assign blame to drugs willy nilly.

In any case, I went back on the lipitor but added CoQ10...100 mg./day. I THINK that helped with the pains...maybe less? But very rarely debilitating...though I did let out an embarrassing scream at the mall once when I picked up a grocery bag and it felt like my left shoulder was struck by LIGHTNING! That shoulder was the one they had to lift from around my chest and force back into the socket at the base of Mount Snow!

The worst part of your picture is the dreary ratio of TC to measured HDL. Your 6.0 is about 2 too high!

If you DO go back on the Lipitor give the CoQ10 a try....I'm becoming a BELIEVER!

I also believe that 10 mg Lipitor gives almost identical control as 40 mg with FAR less danger of side effects....and since the 10, 20 and 40 cost nearly the same, SOME people might employ a pill splitter to slash costs...But I would NEVER recommend anyone DO this ...ROFL!

Last edited by zip2play; 01-23-2004 at 05:13 AM.

Old 01-23-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

"I also believe that 10 mg Lipitor gives almost identical control as 40 mg with FAR less danger of side effects....and since the 10, 20 and 40 cost nearly the same, SOME people might employ a pill splitter to slash costs...But I would NEVER recommend anyone DO this ...ROFL!"

Zip, Do you think this may also be true for Zocor. The doctor recently increased the dose from 20mg to 40mg. I would like to go back to 20--my numbers are quite good now and I think a lot of it is due to diet and supplements.

Last edited by JacquelineL; 01-23-2004 at 10:32 AM.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:18 PM   #11
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Jacqueline,

A 20mg dose of Zocor is equivalent to a 10mg dose of Lipitor. If you are getting along fine on 20mg Zocor and the supplements you are taking, I can't understand why your doctor would want to increase your dose to 40mg. Whenever you increase the dosage, you increase your chances of developing side effects. That's what happened to my father when his doctor put him on 40mg Zocor. It got to the point where it became difficult for him to get up out of his chair. He never had that problem when he was taking 40mg Pravachol, which is equivalent to 20mg Zocor. And he was doing quite fine on the Pravachol. What else can I say? Some doctors are just plain nuts as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 01-23-2004 at 05:23 PM.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM   #12
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

Arizona,

At the time he increased the dose, my numbers were total-215, LDL-141, and HDL-41. I had just been diagnosed as diabetic and had been off estrogen for six months. I started a low carb diet plus fish oil and a few other supplements and just lately resumed taking estrogen. Three months later, my numbers were total 164, LDL 92, and HDL 57. I'm wondering if I was still at 20 mg, would my results be nearly as good, or at least not high enough to warrant going to 40 mg. If 40 mg doesn't give much improvement over 20 mg, then I would rather reduce the dose to 20 mg. We probably should have given the low carb diet a chance to work.

Old 01-23-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
    dale55

dale55 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    Give it a month Dale.

That's what I did and I really didn't convince myself one way or another because my shoulder pain has come and gone for decades and I mangled both shoulders skiing in the 70's, knees in high school while Thomas Jefferson was president. So the pains have come and gone before the Lipitor and I can;t really assign blame to drugs willy nilly.

In any case, I went back on the lipitor but added CoQ10...100 mg./day. I THINK that helped with the pains...maybe less? But very rarely debilitating...though I did let out an embarrassing scream at the mall once when I picked up a grocery bag and it felt like my left shoulder was struck by LIGHTNING! That shoulder was the one they had to lift from around my chest and force back into the socket at the base of Mount Snow!

The worst part of your picture is the dreary ratio of TC to measured HDL. Your 6.0 is about 2 too high!

If you DO go back on the Lipitor give the CoQ10 a try....I'm becoming a BELIEVER!

I also believe that 10 mg Lipitor gives almost identical control as 40 mg with FAR less danger of side effects....and since the 10, 20 and 40 cost nearly the same, SOME people might employ a pill splitter to slash costs...But I would NEVER recommend anyone DO this ...ROFL!
    Zip,

I went to the doctor yesterday after being off the Lipitor for 3 weeks with no relief. He said that since the muscle pains had not gone away that it probably wasn't the Lipitor. He thinks it is soft tissue inflamation or something like that and put me back on Voltaran which I was taking for back pain. I can't tell any difference yet but it has only been one day. I have also had a couple weeks of really long days at work. I work at a college and we just finished Spring registration.

My doctor says I have to get the LDL (I think it is the one that is 181) down to around 100 and the HDL higher so the ratio will be better. He wants me to continue the 40 mg until it comes down and then try a lower dose. I have started taking Omega 3 Fish Oil which he said is good for the HDL and will get some CoQ10 and see what happens. I can live with the muscle pains if I have to but I was hoping that there was something that would work without that side effect.

I haven't had any blood work done since the first report. The doctor said because I was off the Lipitor for 3 weeks it is best to wait...he said 4 months but that seems like a long time. Thanks again for your advice.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:04 PM   #14
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Jacqueline,

This is a problem that patients sometimes experience when doctors give them such a short period of time to improve their profiles before prescribing larger doses. The truth is, you really don't have any idea what effect the low-carb diet, fish oil, and the other supplements may have had if you also increased your dosage of Zocor at the same time. There's no question that the Zocor probably dropped your total cholesterol further (actually 164 is rather on the low side), as well as your LDL. Actually, your ratios are much better now, but it's just too bad that you didn't have the chance to see what they may have been without the increased dosage of Zocor. I don't know what other supplements you are taking, and how much, but I'd like to know. Supplements, and dietary changes sometimes take a little more time, and unfortunately most doctors don't have the time and patience to allow for these changes to occur.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:19 PM   #15
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

Arizona

I just started CoQ10 50 mg, though I don't had any muscle aches. I also take 1 mg folic acid, 400 mg Vit E, 500 mg Vit C, magnesium, zinc, calcium and baby aspirin. I don't think any of these would affect the lipid test results.

Closed Thread