It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• POLICOSANOL....any Updated news?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
    POLICOSANOL....any Updated news?

Hi,

Any new, updated news on Policosanol these days from anybody? Did anyone ever get good results from taking Policosanol?

Last May (2003) my doctor scared me into taking Lipitor until the day I died, and I said no way. I was going to try other "means' to lower my choloesterol. I never tell any doctor that I will try natural, alternative supplements, they HATE to hear that. To them, everything is drugs, drugs, drugs! My total TC was 225. HDL is 38, LDL is 166,
    ratio TC/HDL is 5.92......at least my trigs are good at 106

Blood pressure was 122/85, if that comes into play here...

So, I tried for 4 months faithfully using Policosanol thereafter, and then I stopped since I heard it was almost useless by so many people. I never did get my Cholesterol no#s checked. That was back in September, when I stopped taking this expensive supplement!

Any new fresh info from anyone? I still got 1/2 box of Policosanol in the cupboard unused.

WarBonds

Last edited by WarBonds; 01-09-2004 at 09:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2004, 05:49 AM   #2
    pcovers
    Veteran
    (female)

pcovers HB User
    Re: POLICOSANOL....any Updated news?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WarBonds
    So, I tried for 4 months faithfully using Policosanol thereafter, and then I stopped since I heard it was almost useless by so many people. I never did get my Cholesterol no#s checked. That was back in September, when I stopped taking this expensive supplement!

Any new fresh info from anyone? I still got 1/2 box of Policosanol in the cupboard unused.
    I realize it is water under the bridge, but I am perplexed that you would begin a regimen and stay on it for four months and then go off without testing to see if the efforts were fruitful. You would be in a position to answer the question you are asking. As to cost, 30 tabs of 10mg policosanol is around $11.00 a bottle. Compared to most supplements, that is relatively cheap.

I think all you can do is try again as you will get some reports that it did not work and a few reports that it did appear to work.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
    bbs615

bbs615 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pcovers
    I realize it is water under the bridge, but I am perplexed that you would begin a regimen and stay on it for four months and then go off without testing to see if the efforts were fruitful. You would be in a position to answer the question you are asking. As to cost, 30 tabs of 10mg policosanol is around $11.00 a bottle. Compared to most supplements, that is relatively cheap.

I think all you can do is try again as you will get some reports that it did not work and a few reports that it did appear to work.

I tried policosanol for six months with no positive results. However, someone suggested taking it with meals, which I didn't do. I took 20 mg in the evening before I went to bed. Perhaps that is why it didn't work for me.

Old 01-10-2004, 04:57 PM   #4
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

Pcovers,

yes, I should've had my cholesterol checked after 4 month's on policosanol. But, at that time, I had alot on my plate, and the cholest. testing got put on the back burner. I'll give it another go this winter/spring......no excuses this time.

Here in Canada, policosanol (made from sugar cane) is quite pricey; even CoQ10 is alot cheaper than policosanol here!

Another supplement, I have heard alot about is beta-sitosterol (spelling?). Anyone familiar with this.
    I am trying to avoid those statins!

WarBonds

Old 01-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #5
    MichaelNYC

MichaelNYC HB User

Quote:
    Hi,

Any new, updated news on Policosanol these days from anybody? Did anyone ever get good results from taking Policosanol?

Last May (2003) my doctor scared me into taking Lipitor until the day I died, and I said no way. I was going to try other "means' to lower my choloesterol. I never tell any doctor that I will try natural, alternative supplements, they HATE to hear that. To them, everything is drugs, drugs, drugs! My total TC was 225. HDL is 38, LDL is 166,

WarBonds
    I've read many positive reports on policosanol. I'm now taking it along with flush free hexaniacin, flax seed oil (I can't tolerate fish oils) and aged garlic. Here in the USA, I just purchased 60 tablets of policosanol (10mg) for $10.17. I don't understand why it's expensive in Canada. I'm told that it increases HDL which is where you problem is. Keep taking it and see what happens. Medications should always be the very last option.

Old 01-13-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
    rzrbck

rzrbck HB User
    Cool Re: POLICOSANOL....any Updated news?

Here is my experience with Policosanol. I'd been taking Zocor on and off for 2-3 years. I took 20mg Zocor religiously from Oct 2002 through July 2003. It did get my cholesterol below 200, however, I started getting muscle pains that progressively got worse. I quit Zocor on Aug 7 and it took at least 2 months to get of the pain. After quitting Zocor, I started taking CoQ10 to get rid of pain and then learnt about Policosanol. I started taking the Policosonal 10-15 mg in early Sept and was depressed when I got the test results in mid-Nov - TC 311, HDL 50, LDL 212, VLDL 52, Trig 260. I do realize that Policosanol does not work for everyone, but I still wanted to give it another shot. At this time I changed my approach to a different brand that uses Lesstanol brand Policosanol. The brand I chose is the Pure Encapsulations 20 mg. Here is what I've been taking since mid-November:

Pure Encapsulations Policosanol 20mg w/dinner
    Take Control butter 1-1.5 tsp w/dinner
    Betasitosterol 300mg w/dinner
    COQ10 - 50mg w/dinner (don't think it reduces cholesterol)
    Psyllium fiber (2 tsp) w/lunch (Equate Brand)

I checked my total cholesterol on Jan 10 with Cholestrak carefully following the directions and it was 208. I really hope this is correct. I'll be getting the complete lipids profile done in a couple of weeks to confirm the results. Hope this helps.

rzrbck

Quote:
    Hi,

WarBonds

Old 01-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #7
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

rzrbck,

Interesting post you wrote. Policosanol still has me scratching my head; I don't know if it is any good, as I have never really heard any good news about it from average people who've used it; the only good news come from the people who sell it, they rant and rave about it! For all it's worth, I did buy a good, standardized brand, took 3 pills per day, each pill 6 mgs.

Glad you're cholesterol no#s came down recently, that would be a relief!
    My gut feeling tells me the extra fibre and possibly the betasitosterol helped with the lowering of your numbers. I'm looking into betasitosterol. For the past 1 1/2 years, I took gugulipid and it didn't do much for my numbers, shown on the first post of this thread. My diet is pretty good, I do alot of walking, don't smoke, drink ocassionally, and am even 5 lbs underweight for my height!

Keep us posted of your numbers/tests after you get the results. Continued good luck!

WarBonds

Old 02-24-2004, 07:57 AM   #8
    rzrbck

rzrbck HB User
    Cool Re: POLICOSANOL....any Updated news?

Hi,

Here are my official results from the lipids profile that was done on Jan 20.

Jan 20, 2004
    Total: 234
    HDL 45
    LDL 161
    VLDL 28
    Trigly 142
    Liverfunction Normal

I'm definitely encouraged with the results and hopefully the numbers continue in the right direction. For comparison, my old numbers from Nov 2003 were:

Nov 14, 2003
    Total: 313
    HDL: 50
    LDL: 212
    VLDL: 52
    Trigly 260

I'm definitely goiing to continue with policosanol, betasitosterol, Coq10, and fiber, since it is working for me.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
    Kojo

Kojo HB User
    Lesstanol Policosanol

Any further progress with Lestanol Policosanol?

Old 05-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #10
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Hi,

WarBonds
    Don't take this personally, but your story is "typical"....NO HARD #s on what Policosanol did for you. It would have been useful if you had taken a cholesterol check after the 4 months of use . My post here was backed up by #s....didn't do squat for me. Just a lot of hype, in my humble opinion.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:31 AM   #11
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    Don't take this personally, but your story is "typical"....NO HARD #s on what Policosanol did for you. It would have been useful if you had taken a cholesterol check after the 4 months of use . My post here was backed up by #s....didn't do squat for me. Just a lot of hype, in my humble opinion.
    ......Now why would I take your post personally? I don't care. That's what.

Also, I didn't get my cholesterol checked after using Policosanol since I was ticked off by doctors and their push to get me onto statins. It's all a money game and after reading so much literature on cholesterol and its dangers, that even enforces my opinion that cholesterol is a big fat cash cow for docs and pharmaceutical companies!
    A relative close to me had been taking statins for almost 7 years, that's right seven years and he still had a heart attack! Those
    cholesterol lowering drugs didn't prevent him from having that attack. So much for statins!!

Now for me personally, I take beta-sitosterol everyday (300 mgs), along with garlic and a high fiber diet. I am at my ideal weight for my height. I walk alot. Let the chips fall where they may. To each his own, everyone has their way of dealing with things. Some cave in to their doc's warnings and take the statins, others like me look for alternative/natural solutions!

I had thought that this thread was 'dead' since I started it last January. On a last note, who is to say policosanol is useless or useful?? Who knows, there is so much conflicting info about everything out there. It just depends who you are listening to and their 'interests.'

Ciao

Last edited by WarBonds; 05-20-2004 at 05:34 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    ......Now why would I take your post personally? I don't care. That's what.

Also, I didn't get my cholesterol checked after using Policosanol since I was ticked off by doctors and their push to get me onto statins. It's all a money game and after reading so much literature on cholesterol and its dangers, that even enforces my opinion that cholesterol is a big fat cash cow for docs and pharmaceutical companies!
    A relative close to me had been taking statins for almost 7 years, that's right seven years and he still had a heart attack! Those
    cholesterol lowering drugs didn't prevent him from having that attack. So much for statins!!

Now for me personally, I take beta-sitosterol everyday (300 mgs), along with garlic and a high fiber diet. I am at my ideal weight for my height. I walk alot. Let the chips fall where they may. To each his own, everyone has their way of dealing with things. Some cave in to their doc's warnings and take the statins, others like me look for alternative/natural solutions!

I had thought that this thread was 'dead' since I started it last January. On a last note, who is to say policosanol is useless or useful?? Who knows, there is so much conflicting info about everything out there. It just depends who you are listening to and their 'interests.'

Ciao
    There's no assurance that statins will prevent heart attacks. The question is>>>do they minimize the FREQUENCY and SEVERITY for the majority of people with elevated LDLs? The Pravachol studies seemed to indicate they do.
    BTW, what were your #'s before and after (your supplements).

Old 05-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #13
    clemons21
    Inactive

clemons21 HB User

i don't really think taking supplements with food makes a big difference, there could be a slightly better obsorption rate but not that much. I took calcium carbonate 1800 mg a day while on prednisone because they say it depletes calcium, well remember that commercial for coral calcium with them saying calcium supplements don't absorb, well mine did i had to lower my calcium intake because it became above normal and that was without vitamin d also, my sedatives seem to work just fine without food but they do absorb better with beer.

Old 05-24-2004, 12:15 AM   #14
    NHone
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

NHone HB User

you need to do you own test on policosonal again and have your levels checked. Yes, I have read real clinical tests on policosonal, and it works. One thing everyone should remember. (and research), cholesterol is not the problem. Research what cholesterols role is in the body. If it is high it is for a reason. Cholesterol is just doing its repair work. You see firemen at a fire, the larger the fire, the more firemen. Therefore firemen start fires? Read about cholesterol, you'll understand.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #15
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by finres
    you need to do you own test on policosonal again and have your levels checked. Yes, I have read real clinical tests on policosonal, and it works. One thing everyone should remember. (and research), cholesterol is not the problem. Research what cholesterols role is in the body. If it is high it is for a reason. Cholesterol is just doing its repair work. You see firemen at a fire, the larger the fire, the more firemen. Therefore firemen start fires? Read about cholesterol, you'll understand.

Did you personally use policosanol? Did it work for you?
    If yes, how much of an improvement did you see? As I said a while ago, I haven't seen of or heard of many glowing reports/results about policosanol's usefulness or benefits from the average joe. Most say that it made no difference and some say their numbers were worse after having taken it. But then again, other factors must have been involved too. I wish I had my cholesterol re-checked after I took policosanol for 4 months last year. My fault for not having done so.
    The reason I started on the policansol last year was from the advice of a prominent well known health-food writer.
    He said it was very safe and very effective, the almost-perfect supplement against high cholesterol. I am not allowed to mention his name on these boards. It doesn't matter.
    In many ways, cholesterol is just a 'numbers' game. Now I am hearing more and more, that people with normal cholesterol levels have more heart attacks than people with elevated cholesterol levels!!
    As I said earlier in this thread, statin drugs are a huge, huge cash cow for the big boys at the pharmaceutical companies and your family doc! In my opinion, these statins are way over-prescribed. Of course there are people out there that need them, for sure. But still, over-prescibed, as I see it.

A co-worker of mine recently was put onto statin drugs by his family doc. This co-worker's numbers were just slightly high. He did not question anything, he blindly followed his doc's advice and started taking the statins a month ago.
    This co-worker never looked into the possibility of lowering his numbers with diet/exercise. He appears to be one of these individuals who believes everything his doctor says.

Last edited by WarBonds; 05-24-2004 at 07:59 AM.

Closed Thread