It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

Red Yeast Rice working

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #1
buckshot111

buckshot111 HB User
Red Yeast Rice working

I was diagnosed with high chol. early last year and after a change in diet had little effect I was put on Zocor, but experienced flushing. It was then I discovered this great site, and a lot of questions have been answered. I told the doc. about the flushing and the potential side effects I had read about, and said I wanted to try Policosanol which he had no problem with. I had another check after 4 months on Pol. but the numbers had not changed significantly ( I was watching the diet and I increased exercise as well BTW).

I then started red yeast rice about 6 weeks ago, and a test last week indicates that the numbers have changed significantly, but not as low as they should be:

Initial Test:
TC 297
HDL 42
LDL 228

After taking policosanol:
TC 282
HDL 54
LDL 212

After taking RYR for 6 weeks:
TC 228
HDL 54
LDL 147

As it was only 6 weeks on RYR I'm wondering if the numbers will improve over time? Also is there anything else worth taking as well? I intend starting on CoQ10 gelcaps (VS don't seem to have the Q-Gel version), but had also heard that 2 x 500mg flush free Nicacin and 4 x 125mg Beta Sitosterol daily would be beneficial. I had been taking Omega 3 fish oil tabs. for a year or so before the first chol. test, but I stopped last year when it seemed they were having little impact.

Don't ask about the triglycerides (which were in the green: 71), because it went up thanks to the Christmas celebrations

The Following User Says Thank You to buckshot111 For This Useful Post:
outerorbit (12-02-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 09:11 PM   #2
WarBonds

WarBonds HB User
Re: Red Yeast Rice working

Buckshot,

You asked what else you could try? Apparently guggulipid works well for alot of people; I took it for well over one year and it didn't do anything for me.
Garlic has been proven to bring down cholesterol levels, too.

Also, when you took RYR, did you have any side effects with it? I hear, RYR does contain statins and am curious about this possible problem. I have never tried RYR, but am interested in giving it a go, along with beta sitosterols.
I haven't heard any positive results about policosanol from anyone.

WarBonds

Last edited by WarBonds; 01-15-2004 at 09:13 PM.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
buckshot111

buckshot111 HB User

G'Day Warbonds

No side effects so far from the RYR, but as I had "flushing" from 10mg Zocor I suspect that if I took RYR in a higher dose I'd experience the same. From what I've read here, some people tolerate the statins OK and others don't. So at the moment I'm more than happy with the results from RYR.

I've also read that some people are taking other supplements such as Nicacin and Beta Sitosterol in addition to RYR, so I'm interested to hear what seems to work.

Old 01-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
JeaneM
(female)

JeaneM HB User
Question Re: Red Yeast Rice working

Hi.
I just started taking RYR, 2nd day and have severe flushing from it. I've taken 20mg Zocor for 9 months now and no side effects at all. I'm beginning to wonder about RYR. I didn't know it flushed like Niacin? Anyone else get flushed from it? Thank you.

Old 01-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
wass24

wass24 HB User

I used a product you may be interested in. It is called Riz-strol by Organika.
The product has red rice yeast, gugulipid, grape seed extract, artichoke extract, garlic powder.

My cholesterol was 279 a year ago and the doc gave me 2 months to get it down. I started excercising daily and eating better along with taking the Riz-strol along with Fish Oil.

After two month my total cholesterol was 146!! Almost to low. My HDL had gone up and my LDL and Trig's went significantly down. I have recently reduced the dosage from 3 pills aday to one in the evening and have maintained my cholesterol right around 190 which I am happy with.

May be worth trying but I also think the excercise and diet helped as well.

Old 01-17-2004, 04:28 AM   #6
zip2play
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Flushing is a VERY rare, life threatening symptom with Zocor and is indicative of a SEVERE allergic reaction...with angioedema, swollen lips, breathing difficulty, hives.

What kind of Cholesterol numbers had you gotten with it? You didn't say.

Did you or your doctor consider another statin before you abandoned the drug class?

Perhaps abandoned is the wrong word because Red Yeast Rice IS very much a statin and so you seem to be tolerating the class as long as it's not Zocor.

My feeling on taking natural statins is that they are potent drugs and I am more comfortable knowing exactly what dosage I'm taking. Going to Healthe Food Store XYZ and buying "red rice" to get a cholesterol drug seems risky to me.
Never discount the possiblility that some of these completely unregulated companies can get a HUGE markup from mixing a little Uncle Ben's Converted with red dye!
Even with the real product, how does one know how much to take, how potent is the statin in a particular dose.

Curiously, how much is it a pound?

In any case buckshot, you got a nice lipid response (as I would expect with a statin.)

Old 01-17-2004, 05:48 AM   #7
JeaneM
(female)

JeaneM HB User
Question Re: Red Yeast Rice working

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Flushing is a VERY rare, life threatening symptom with Zocor and is indicative of a SEVERE allergic reaction...with angioedema, swollen lips, breathing difficulty, hives.

What kind of Cholesterol numbers had you gotten with it? You didn't say.

Did you or your doctor consider another statin before you abandoned the drug class?

Perhaps abandoned is the wrong word because Red Yeast Rice IS very much a statin and so you seem to be tolerating the class as long as it's not Zocor.

My feeling on taking natural statins is that they are potent drugs and I am more comfortable knowing exactly what dosage I'm taking. Going to Healthe Food Store XYZ and buying "red rice" to get a cholesterol drug seems risky to me.
Never discount the possiblility that some of these completely unregulated companies can get a HUGE markup from mixing a little Uncle Ben's Converted with red dye!
Even with the real product, how does one know how much to take, how potent is the statin in a particular dose.

Curiously, how much is it a pound?

In any case buckshot, you got a nice lipid response (as I would expect with a statin.)
Hi. My cholestrol numbers are fine, now that I have been on Zocor for 9 months. I just started the Red Yeast Rice, 2nd capsule actually when the flushing started. I stopped taking the RYR now and from what I read, I've actually have been taking two statins, when I started RYR. That probably is the reason for the flushing. Way too much. I purchased it in a bottle from a vitamin company. 10cents a capsule. Thx for your info.

Old 01-17-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Naomi101
(female)

Naomi101 HB User

Someone mentioned taking flush-free Niacin. I read that the flush-free does NOT help because the thing that causes the flushing is the very thing that helps lower your cholesterol.

Old 01-18-2004, 04:40 AM   #9
zip2play
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Naomi,
That's always been my take on it too. Whatever causes the flush gets the liver into cholesterol-busting activity.

Seems the unbearable flush is the best(high blood concentration) and No-Flush is useless (low blood concentration).
Niaspan seems to me, to tread the middle road with the 6 hour time release.
Since we all react so differently with regards flushing, my opinion would be for anyone to aim for as much flush as is still tolerable to get maximum benefit.
(Trouble is, the dose that was ok on a full stomach yeasterday might be an auto da fe [burning at the stake] today.)

I'll take the Lipitor any day and I know several people on Zocor who have never had the least problem with it.

Last edited by zip2play; 01-18-2004 at 04:46 AM.

Old 01-18-2004, 06:56 AM   #10
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip2play
Naomi,
That's always been my take on it too. Whatever causes the flush gets the liver into cholesterol-busting activity..
Ditto about the flush niacin being the one that actually lowers cholesterol.

What about taking RYR and flush niacin? Is this necessary or overkill?

Old 01-18-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
JeaneM
(female)

JeaneM HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
Ditto about the flush niacin being the one that actually lowers cholesterol.

What about taking RYR and flush niacin? Is this necessary or overkill?
Hi.
This is what I found...
Research studies have shown red yeast rice to be remarkably safe, but of course, you should not use it if you are also taking a prescription statin.

So since I am already on Zocor, no RYR for me.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:22 AM   #12
peregrine
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneMarie
Hi.
This is what I found...
Research studies have shown red yeast rice to be remarkably safe, but of course, you should not use it if you are also taking a prescription statin.So since I am already on Zocor, no RYR for me.
O.k., but (anyone?) what about my question; that is, what do you think about taking Flush Niacin AND RYR?

Old 01-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Naomi101
(female)

Naomi101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrine
O.k., but (anyone?) what about my question; that is, what do you think about taking Flush Niacin AND RYR?
I don't see how that would be a problem! Heck, I take a boatload of stuff with my RYR and my cholesterol went from "dangerous" to "near optimal" in just a few months!!

Old 01-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #14
ARIZONA73
Senior Veteran
(male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

In regards to the flushing and itching which many people experience while taking niacin, this is largely due to the fact that niacin (as nicotinic acid) releases histamines...hence, flushing and itching occurs. Aside from this temporary inconvenience, the reaction is quite harmless for the majority of people.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 AM   #15
buckshot111

buckshot111 HB User

NaomiLedbetter

OK can you tell me what you are taking in addition to RYR and why? As I said in my original post I'm about to start Co-Q10 but I'm also interested in what else would be beneficial.

Closed Thread