It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Lipitor & side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2004, 11:25 AM   #1
    fustrated1

fustrated1 HB User
    Lipitor & side effects

I'm 35 yrs old and recently had a physical. According to my doctor, all my lab work came back favorable, except my cholesterol. My results were; Total = 246, HDL = 42, LDL = 176 and my triglycerides were 158.

My doctor told me that I should go on 10 mgs. of Lipitor now. He went on to explain that even if I changed my ways and work out seven days a week (I'm currently working out 2-3 days) and change my diet completely and I still will not achieve what he wants me to achieve.

I've been on it for (4) days now and since day two, I have had an aggrevating headache in my temple area. I'll admit I've taken very little Ibuprofen, but have been cautious not to take too many meds. Is this side effect common? If this is to be expected and is this temporary? If not, I will not continue with this.

I feel that putting me on Lipitor is a bit premature. Does anyone agree with this?

Lastly, what are some good natural foods and supplements I could take to naturally lower my cholesterol? I'm not a fan of meds, due to side effects, and would rather take the natural route, if possible.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 06:15 AM   #2
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User
    Re: Lipitor & side effects

Frustrated,

The Lipitor might have been a bit rash on his part (it's ultimately YOUR decision).
    No the light headaches aren't common....nor at all dangerous. What the more worrisome side effects might be are large muscle pains...aching thighs and knees, sore back and liver enzyme derangement.

I think you might try HDL enhancement with fish oils (equivalent to 1000 mg. DHA +EPA: the active components in Omega-3 oils), and increased excercise.
    To get the LDL's down some go with the standards: low saturated fat intake, NO trans-fat intake and proper weight.

You can always take the Lipitor if that regimen doesn't work for you...it often doesn't (except the fish oils are usually QUITE dependable!) Ten milligrams of Lipitor is an effective and usually side-effect-free dosage.

Last edited by zip2play; 02-13-2004 at 06:17 AM.

Old 02-13-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
    Fuchsia_Lay
    Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
    Re: Lipitor & side effects

I have tried lipitor on separate occasions (elevated triglycerides).

muscles & joints felt horrible.

On tricor now -- no problems..

Closed Thread