It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Seriously high triglycerides, 500+

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
    weho

weho HB User
    Seriously high triglycerides, 500+

I just had a $15 heart screening at Costco, (that's all I can afford!), and the machine found that my triglycerides were OVER 500. Over 500, the machine wouldn't give an exact number. My Total cholesterol was 248, my HDL (good) cholesterol was 28. The machine couldn't give the LDL (bad), as the triglicerides were too high, and the machine won't measure that under those conditions. My blood pressure was OK, 125/87. I'm 45, somewhat overweight, but not too serious (maybe I need to lose 15-20 pounds). My family history has SOME heart disease. I don't get much exercise, I can and will improve that. I generally eat OK, but I know too many sugars. Not too much meat, a lot of fruits and vetetables. The machine calculated the Total cholesterol/hdl ratio at 9.7.

With triglycerides that seriously high, what should I do? Eating right and excerise are not enough. I'm not taking any medications right now. I don't have health insurance, but I can go to Mexico and buy cholesterol-lowering drugs there at affordable prices.

I'm told that gemfibrozil (LOPID) is best for lowering triglycerides. Do any of you nice people have any suggestions/advice what I should try to take?

Also, would it be too much to take 500mg of niacin, twice a day, in addition to Lopid and or something like Lipitor or Provochol, which I can get in Mexico at affordable prices?

Any assistance, however small, is highly appreciated. Thanks! weho

Last edited by weho; 04-03-2004 at 03:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 06:01 PM   #2
    jblondi

jblondi HB User
    Re: Seriously high triglycerides, 500+

Helo Weho,

Welcome to the forum. I consider myself a newly found expert and on the road to a healthy life. I do see some potential serious problems with your recent evaluation, and im probably going to tell you some things that your not going to like....but dont fear, there are solutions.

First things first. Can you be sure that the machine used at Costco was accurate? A professional lab test dont at a doctors office requires you to fast (dont eat or drink) for 10-12 hours...otherwise the machine will produce results similar to your last meal. So a big mac before testing would show you just about to have a heart attack. I know that money is a concern...but money isnt worth anything if youre dead, so I would consider trying to get some sort of health insurance that covers blood testing...or try and front some cash to get a professinal lipid panel done.

Now, if the results still show that you are in this danger range your last option should be medication. Your first option should be to look at the things you eat, the things you do, your stress level, and how you can make them all better. If you read around on these boards you will see a wide range of painful side effects of taking medication, even the possibility of death. Dont be fooled by these TV commercials posing the cure to everything so you can eat your cake and have it too. I wont go into much detail about diet...there are a ton of posts showing foods to look out for, etc. I can recommend a book that I recently purchased that gave me a lot of insight on how my body works, and what all of those numbers mean. Its called "8 week cholesterol cure" by Robert Kowalski. For me personally Im not jumping on his oat bran and niacin plan, but it showed me how to reduce my calories, and how to avoid different types of fats etc. For an 8$ paperback book its a good investment.

With trigs of 500 yes that is high, but there are higher. I for example had trigs of 1500+. Not to say that 500 is safe, im just trying to make sure that you realize that running out and putting yourself on tons of meds right now might not be the best thing to do. This is just my personal assumption as well - but if you made it to 45 then im assuming that your levels have more recently risen....perhaps you have put on more weight, stoped watching your diet, etc. It can be reversed though, and now you have a good reason to start.

After getting your eating, weight, and excercise in control I would go back and get re-tested and see what your levels are. If then they are still at a very elevated level then I would make sure to get under some sort of doctors supervision. There are plans through the drug companies to help with the high costs of the medications. Here is a webpage for a company called pfizer...which makes lipitor. They have some programs for low income individuals along with many others. This is just an example...

[url]http://www.pfizer.com/subsites/philanthropy/access/index.html[/url]

Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2004, 08:40 PM   #3
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

Weho,

Niacin is great at raising HDL, but don't go mixing it with Lipitor without first talking to a doctor.

Do try to lose weight and get more exercise. Walking is best. Start slowly and keep increasing your distance every day. Aim for about 2-3 miles three or four days a week.

Most importantly, you should try to cut back on carbohydrates. A low-carb diet often works wonders for reducing triglycerides, as well as increasing HDL. Increasing your consumption of fish and/or fish oil supplements will also help you achieve your desired goals.

Last edited by ARIZONA73; 04-03-2004 at 08:45 PM.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
    Bendix5
    (male)

Bendix5 HB User

JBlondie gave you great advice. Please follow it and do not self medicate yourself. Check out the Mediterranean Style or Omega diets on the internet. Both are heart healthy but must be a lifestyle change. Alcohol and sugars will raise tryglycerides. Need to cut back on those. With family history you need to take good care of yourself. Any pain or strange feelings when exercising, mowing lawn, etc, between tip of nose and belt should be checked by a doctor. Keep in touch
    Dano

Old 04-05-2004, 09:30 PM   #5
    weho

weho HB User

Is it the same for mixing Niacin with Zocar, to check with a doctor first? Thank you again, to those that replied.

Old 04-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #6
    cowboy51

cowboy51 HB User

I've been fighting high cholesterol and triglygerides for the last three years, when I was first tested. My cholesterol was 358 and triglycerides 711 then, so the doctor said with my family history, it was genetic, so he put me on Lipitor, starting with 10 mg. It helped a little, then upped it to 20, then 40, then 80. Each time helped a LITTLE, but not enough. At one time the triglycerides were over 1000. Then he stopped the Lipitor and tried Niacin, which helped some, but again, not enough. Last fall, added 80 mg Lipitor back in along with about 2500 mg Flush free (Extended release) Niacin. In January, cholesterol had dropped to 116, triglycerides 187,HDL 40, LDL 39. I was worried about the high dose of Lipitor, so we dropped it to 40 mg, along with the niacin. Last week, my cholesterol was 111, triglycerides 75 (best ever!!) HDL was up to 58, LDL was 38. My risk ratio went from 9.0 in July, '01 to 1.9 now! I've never had any problems with the medication, and we do a liver test every other lipid test, and has always been OK.
    Also, when I switched from 80 mg to 40 mg, I checked the cost and they were the same price, so I got the 80 and cut them in half, saving half the cost! I get the Niacin from a mail order catalog where you buy one and get two free, so it's a 3 for 1 deal. I've also checked into the Pfizer "Connection to Care" program and should qualify for free Lipitor, which will help a lot.
    Although I should have, I've never changed my diet much. When the doctor said it was more genetic than diet, I wanted to give the meds a test, plus my diet isn't that bad...my biggest downfall is Pepsi, which of what I've read, the carbohydrates can raise triglycerides.

Old 04-06-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
    weho

weho HB User

Did you make other diet changes, and did you exercise as well? Your story gives me some hope! thanks...

Old 04-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #8
    jblondi

jblondi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowboy51
    Although I should have, I've never changed my diet much. When the doctor said it was more genetic than diet, I wanted to give the meds a test, plus my diet isn't that bad...my biggest downfall is Pepsi, which of what I've read, the carbohydrates can raise triglycerides.
    Weho,
    Careful here...I know that cowboy51 makes this sound like a fix all cure, but you have to weigh the facts. Here is a quote from the lipitor web page under prescribing information:

The risk of myopathy during treatment with drugs in this class is increased with concurrent administration of cyclosporine, fibric acid derivatives, erythromycin, niacin, or azole antifungals. Physicians considering combined therapy with atorvastatin and fibric acid derivatives, erythromycin, immunosuppressive drugs, azole antifungals, or lipid-lowering doses of niacin should carefully weigh the potential benefits and risks and should carefully monitor patients for any signs or symptoms of muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, particularly during the initial months of therapy and during any periods of upward dosage titration of either drug. Periodic creatine phosphokinase (CPK) determinations may be considered in such situations, but there is no assurance that such monitoring will prevent the occurrence of severe myopathy.

I stress....medication is a last resort!!!!!!!!

I have been learning the hard way by just taking stupid pills, and following the doctors instructions...but carelessly thinking about my diet, and what I was actually doing to my body. I mean come on...! Check out this page with all the info on this drug....

[url]http://www.lipitor.com/cwp/appmanager/lipitor/lipitorDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pre scribingInformation[/url]

Doses of 120mg caused brain hemoraging in dogs! Sorry to come off and scare you, but we are becoming slaves to media, and the need for medication! Education is power...read, think, and then decide. Decide on whats really right, not whats easy. Think...your going to pass this gene on to your kids, you have to be a role model for them, show them how to live your life safely.

Weho, good luck.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:10 PM   #9
    cowboy51

cowboy51 HB User

I'm hoping I can cut back on the dosage as time goes by if my tests stay good. Like I said, I cut the Lipitor in half from 80 to 40, and hope I can cut back further to a maintenance dose, or possibly drop the Lipitor completely as time goes on, if the doctor approves. I was pretty leary about taking both Lipitor and Niacin after reading about a possible drug interaction between them, but after reading on the Mayo Clinic website that the combination worked on some stubborn cases, I tried it like my doctor recommended. I would never try it without the doctors approval though. I also read someplace that niacinamide doesn't work as well as the timed release niacin. I don't know if that's true or not, as I've used either the T.R. Niacin or the inositol niacin which is also a flush-free type. I've never had problems with flushing like some do with niacin.
    I always had a pretty good diet, except the Pepsi, and didn't lead a sedentary life, although I haven't been too active the last two months following colon surgery. I'm 52, male, 225 pounds, so a bit overweight...all in the stomach.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:21 PM   #10
    jblondi

jblondi HB User

cowboy,
    I by no means am an angel as far as what ive done in my life to fix this problem...but im determined to not let it get the best of me and im going to learn from my fathers mistakes. Im not sure if your condition is familial or not, but it sounds as it is. One scary thing about your story is the pepsi. My father was a delivery driver for Fed Ex when I was a young boy. I got a chance to ride around with him on deliveries from time to time. I can distinctly remember him always having a pepsi between his legs while he drove. He was addicted to it...like cigarettes, and like poor diet and excercise. He died at age 35, and left my mother to raise a 4, and a 5 year old boys by herself. I know it may seem like some insignifigant thing, or that im being over dramatic, but there are changes that you can make in your life to make sure that you survive. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #11
    cowboy51

cowboy51 HB User

If I understood the Lipitor website about the dogs in the testing, they were given 120 mgs/kg of body weight, which the website said was equivalent to 16 times the normal human dose of 80 mg. I'm not saying it's a "safe" drug, as some people cannot tolerate even a small dosage, so you have to monitor liver function and watch for any muscle weakness, but I think they use extra large doses in lab animals to check for reactions, so I don't know how accurate it is to compare.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:51 PM   #12
    LAndr42

LAndr42 HB User

Hi, Weho

This is my story ...

I also been fighting high Triglicerides for yrs now.. Mine is 500+ but i have had 700 + before..

When i was first told i had 700+ and 226 cholesterol i had taken Tri-cor for only 7 wks and it knocked my Trig down 500 pts.
    But, my first blood showed it effected my liver so i had to get off Tri-cor then we lost our ins for 1 1/2 yrs so i couldnt do anything then..

When we got our Ins again I redid my bloodwork and of course my Trig were back up there ..

Then i got on Lopid and that stuff made me so sick to my stomach feeling like i had the flu or something, and all i did was eat to head the hurt in there, also made me tired ..
    So, then instead of taken Lopid twice a day i tryed it once aday and the hurt was still there so i got off of the meds.
    But, again in the 3 ms i was on and had blood work checked it did knock the Trig, way down ..
    Guess, i been lucky with meds knocking the Trig down fast..

Then i tryed Lipitor in 3 ms it didnt really touch my numbers at all ..
    Later i found out from a heart Dr my husband has to see they said Lipitor doesnt work on Trig as well ..
    So, that sort of pisses me off my dr. gave it too me ..

I am trying Tri-cor again to see what it does for me ..

Also, to find out thyroid problems has to do with high Chol since being on my thyroid meds its knocked my Chol down to 166 from 226 but it doesnt touch or help the Trig come down ..

Good luck

Lolly

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weho
    I just had a $15 heart screening at Costco, (that's all I can afford!), and the machine found that my triglycerides were OVER 500. Over 500, the machine wouldn't give an exact number. My Total cholesterol was 248, my HDL (good) cholesterol was 28. The machine couldn't give the LDL (bad), as the triglicerides were too high, and the machine won't measure that under those conditions. My blood pressure was OK, 125/87. I'm 45, somewhat overweight, but not too serious (maybe I need to lose 15-20 pounds). My family history has SOME heart disease. I don't get much exercise, I can and will improve that. I generally eat OK, but I know too many sugars. Not too much meat, a lot of fruits and vetetables. The machine calculated the Total cholesterol/hdl ratio at 9.7.

With triglycerides that seriously high, what should I do? Eating right and excerise are not enough. I'm not taking any medications right now. I don't have health insurance, but I can go to Mexico and buy cholesterol-lowering drugs there at affordable prices.

I'm told that gemfibrozil (LOPID) is best for lowering triglycerides. Do any of you nice people have any suggestions/advice what I should try to take?

Also, would it be too much to take 500mg of niacin, twice a day, in addition to Lopid and or something like Lipitor or Provochol, which I can get in Mexico at affordable prices?

Any assistance, however small, is highly appreciated. Thanks! weho

Old 04-08-2004, 05:12 PM   #13
    weho

weho HB User

It's encouraging to know that these medicins CAN lower the numbers... thanks

Closed Thread