It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• zocar -- what dosage are you taking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #1
    weho

weho HB User
    Question zocar -- what dosage are you taking?

QUESTION 1: I'm curious to know what dosage most people are taking of zocar. If someone was taking 20 mg of Pravachol per day, and switches to Zocar, what dosage of Zocar would be ROUGHLY the same strength as the 20 mg of Pravachol? Also, do most people take Zocar with dinner, or just before bed?

QUESTION 2: I'm taking 1,000 mg of Slo-Niacin a day (500 mg 2X per day). Do others taking Zocar ALSO take Niacin at the same time? Is this a good or a bad idea?

Thanks!

Last edited by weho; 04-05-2004 at 04:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2004, 05:39 PM   #2
    vipergg22
    Inactive

vipergg22 HB User
    Re: zocar -- what dosage are you taking?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by weho
    QUESTION 1: I'm curious to know what dosage most people are taking of zocar. If someone was taking 20 mg of Pravachol per day, and switches to Zocar, what dosage of Zocar would be ROUGHLY the same strength as the 20 mg of Pravachol? Also, do most people take Zocar with dinner, or just before bed?

QUESTION 2: I'm taking 1,000 mg of Slo-Niacin a day (500 mg 2X per day). Do others taking Zocar ALSO take Niacin at the same time? Is this a good or a bad idea?

Thanks!
    I would say taking both is not a good idea ,this is pretty rough on the liver and you are asking for the potentiel of bad side effects .

Old 04-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #3
    JacquelineL
    Inactive

JacquelineL HB User

From what I've read, I believe 20 mg of Pravachol is the equivalent of 10 mg Zocor. I started on 10 mg Zocor, went to 20 mg and then just recently to 40 mg. I have decided to cut the tablets in half and take 20 mg since I have gone on a low carb diet. After a couple months, my cholesterol ratio is about the same as it was on the higher dose. It is recommended that you take Zocor at bedtime.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #4
    Gatormom

Gatormom HB User

I took 20 mg Zocor for a couple of years, then gradually lost some weight, and got Dr's permission to take less. Now taking 15 mg (a 10mg and a 5mg pill) and total cholesterol is 185, with a good ratio. I take it at bedtime ever since a pharmacist told me it would be more effective taken at night. I think being on hormone replacement therapy also helps my chol. numbers. I also do a lot of walking to help boost the HDL. For me, Zocor is a great medication, with no liver problems and no side effects.

Old 04-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Ball Park estimate: I'd say 20 mg. Pravachol (pravastatin) = 10 mg. Zocor (simvastatin) = 5-8 mg Lipitor (atorvastatin) and I think even less Crestor.

I think statins and niacin together is just ASKING for trouble; I'd never consider it except to save my life.

All statins should be taken before bedtime when recycling of LDL through the liver is at it's peak.

My friend gets 80 mg. Zocor prescriptions and whacks them into 4 pieces with MUCH muttering but it saves a FORTUNE!

Last edited by zip2play; 04-10-2004 at 05:15 PM.

Old 04-10-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

As far as dosage comparisons are concerned, the following information was provided in the Smart Money article "The Lipitor Dilemma":

"The smallest dose of Lipitor, 10mg, is about as powerful as 20mg Zocor, 40mg of Pravachol or lovastatin, and 80mg of Lescol".

Old 04-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #7
    suzyshop1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

suzyshop1 HB User

I take 20 mgs once a day at night before bedtime.

Closed Thread