It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Policosanol taken with a statin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-11-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Policosanol taken with a statin

I started to post my experience on the Policosanol thread, but I think this topic requires a new thread.

I was put on Pravachol recently due to total cholesterol of 250. A month later my TC was 185. I then started to add Policosanol taken at night with my Pravachol. Three weeks later I tested myself (CardioCheck) and got 270!! I couldn't believe it..so I did a second test...266! Was the testing unit bogus? It's supposed to be very accurate. I immediately stopped the Policosanol and continued the same dose of Pravachol. I just tested myself 5 days later and I got a TC of 230 already (40 pt drop)!! I expect it will be around 200 in a week or two ( I hope). At that time I will get a blood test from my Dr AND use the CardioChek as well. I'll post results then. The question is: Does taking Policosanol WITH a stain BLOCK the effect of the statin? Sure looks like it to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #2
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User
    Re: Policosanol taken with a statin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahod
    I started to post my experience on the Policosanol thread, but I think this topic requires a new thread.

I was put on Pravachol recently due to total cholesterol of 250. A month later my TC was 185. I then started to add Policosanol taken at night with my Pravachol. Three weeks later I tested myself (CardioCheck) and got 270!! I couldn't believe it..so I did a second test...266! Was the testing unit bogus? It's supposed to be very accurate. I immediately stopped the Policosanol and continued the same dose of Pravachol. I just tested myself 5 days later and I got a TC of 230 already (40 pt drop)!! I expect it will be around 200 in a week or two ( I hope). At that time I will get a blood test from my Dr AND use the CardioChek as well. I'll post results then. The question is: Does taking Policosanol WITH a stain BLOCK the effect of the statin? Sure looks like it to me.
    Well, I just did another home test (CardioChek) ...2 weeks now since getting off the Policosanol. It's back up to 247 (20 mg Pravachol). Apparently the Pravachol only had a temporary effect on my TC..my pharmacist mentioned that he had heard of this with Pravachol. The only thing I can say about the Policosanol was that it did nothing (one months time) for me, but I can't say that it interfered with the Pravachol. I'm now going to Crestor (10mg) and will report the results in 3-4 weeks time.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:56 AM   #3
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

Rahod,

I think you will do far better with the Crestor than with the Pravachol.
    Probably the 10 mg will even be more than you need and Crestor is usually VERY effective even at 5 mg. doses.

Thanks for the tips on the policosanol...I won't bother adding it to my Lipitor-cod liver oil-lecithin regimen (LDL 95... HDL 58.)

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in those home "total cholesterol only" self-tests. Remember that 1/5 of Triglycerides shows up in total cholesterol and that a buried high triglyceride might LOOK like the policosanol negating your pravachol....on the other hand, perhaps there really is a real interaction between the two.

Last edited by zip2play; 05-20-2004 at 06:07 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:07 AM   #4
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    Rahod,

I think you will do far better with the Crestor than with the Pravachol.
    Probably the 10 mg will even be more than you need and Crestor is usually VERY effective even at 5 mg. doses.

Thanks for the tips on the policosanol...I won't bother adding it to my Lipitor-cod liver oil-lecithin regimen (LDL 95... HDL 58.)

Personally, I wouldn't put too much stock in those home "total cholesterol only" self-tests. Remember that 1/5 of Triglycerides shows up in total cholesterol and that a buried high triglyceride might LOOK like the policosanol negating your pravachol....on the other hand, perhaps there really is a real interaction between the two.
    You're right...My research has shown that the 5 mg dose is VERY effective. What I've decided to do is take 10 mg 3X a week and 5mg 4X a week....the equivalent of 7 mg overall. I'll get a blood test in a month or so. My goal is around 150 total with LDL in the 70-90 range. If my total is under 150, I'll go to 5mg daily.
    As far as the home test, I use CardioChek which tests for TC, HDL and TG using different test strips for each. It's actually used by Dr's in their office (PA version) and is supposed to be quite accurate. I'm getting the results of my last blood test tomorrow. I took the home test 2 hrs prior, so I'll be able to compare the results for the first time. I'll post results here.
    BTW, you #'s look fantastic! Good work.

Old 05-20-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

"Remember that 1/5 of Triglycerides shows up in total cholesterol and that a buried high triglyceride might LOOK like the policosanol negating your pravachol....on the other hand, perhaps there really is a real interaction between the two."

I took my TG when I did the test...it was basically unchanged from the previous (before Policosanol) measurement.

Closed Thread