It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High Cholesterol Message Board

• Help my cholesterol is high again

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
    Help my cholesterol is high again

Yesterday I went to the dr for follow up visit. I see my gp every four months and my endo every 3 months. I went to the gp yesterday and he told me my cholesterol was back up to 335. My ldl was 225, my hdl was 65, he didn't tell me the trigs. I need to lower the ldl so he told me to go back on the zetia. As mentioned in previous posts, the zetia caused my back to hurt so severely i would not walk my required 3 to 4 miles. I keep a very strict diet of high fiber low fat. Please explain to me what is trigs, and any suggestions to lower my ldl. Is 65 hdl a good thing? The only meats i eat are skinless chicken breast and baked fish with olive oil. Low fat, light yogurt and fat free milk are the only dairy I eat. Can mixed nuts cause ldl to go up? I do not eat eggs or fried food period. Can cookies or popcorn cause my ldl to rise? These are my main staples other than veggies and a few fruits. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #2
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User
    Re: Help my cholesterol is high again

Triglycerides are small, light fat particles produced in the liver, where they are converted into very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL). High levels of triglycerides can thicken the blood, and increase your chances of forming clots and clog blood vessels. For most people, triglycerides can be lowered with a reduced intake of carbohydrates.

From the numbers you've provided, it appears that your triglyceride level is 225, which is much higher than what is desirable. An HDL reading of 65 is normally good, but your total is 335, which gives you a TC/HDL ratio of 5.15. Your target ratio should be 4.0 or lower.

I don't know whether or not popcorn will raise LDL. I suppose that would depend on the type of fats that are in it. I prefer real butter myself. Processed foods, and especially snacks such as cookies, are real villains. They can wreak havoc with both triglycerides and LDL, since they most likely contain hydrogenated fats. Since LDL and triglycerides are your two major concerns, you need to restrict foods such as these. Be very careful with foods containing sugars, starches, and hydrogenated fats, and I think you'll see an overall improvement. Exercise is also important, as well as maintaining a desirable weight.

Old 05-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73
    Triglycerides are small, light fat particles produced in the liver, where they are converted into very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL). High levels of triglycerides can thicken the blood, and increase your chances of forming clots and clog blood vessels. For most people, triglycerides can be lowered with a reduced intake of carbohydrates.

From the numbers you've provided, it appears that your triglyceride level is 225, which is much higher than what is desirable. An HDL reading of 65 is normally good, but your total is 335, which gives you a TC/HDL ratio of 5.15. Your target ratio should be 4.0 or lower.

I don't know whether or not popcorn will raise LDL. I suppose that would depend on the type of fats that are in it. I prefer real butter myself. Processed foods, and especially snacks such as cookies, are real villains. They can wreak havoc with both triglycerides and LDL, since they most likely contain hydrogenated fats. Since LDL and triglycerides are your two major concerns, you need to restrict foods such as these. Be very careful with foods containing sugars, starches, and hydrogenated fats, and I think you'll see an overall improvement. Exercise is also important, as well as maintaining a desirable weight.
    Thank u Arizona. i didn't know what trigs were or how it effected my cholesterol. Is 5.15 really bad? I am diabetic and don't eat alot of cookies or breads. I do like corn muffins and biscuits but I limit them due to glucose levels. I don't use margarines, I eat just plain food no salt (yuck) but garlic and pepper. I read somewhere that soy products help lower cholesterol. Is this true? I guess I will have to go back on my zetia .

Old 05-22-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
    rahod
    Veteran

rahod HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtu91952
    Thank u Arizona. i didn't know what trigs were or how it effected my cholesterol. Is 5.15 really bad? I am diabetic and don't eat alot of cookies or breads. I do like corn muffins and biscuits but I limit them due to glucose levels. I don't use margarines, I eat just plain food no salt (yuck) but garlic and pepper. I read somewhere that soy products help lower cholesterol. Is this true? I guess I will have to go back on my zetia .
    Your LDL is high and you're diabetic...that combo really requires a statin. Ask your dr about Crestor. A dose as low as 10mg could do the trick. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:50 AM   #5
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

jtu,

I've got to agree with rahod. I know you took Lipitor for 3 years and had lots of leg and thigh pain and zetia caused backaches for you. It's a dilemma indeed.

That LDL of 225 is truly awful and should be handled without regard to the level of HDL...it's not protective against any LDL that high.

I know you're trying all "natural" means possible...for some of us, alas, these methods don't cut the mustard.

Tell me, when you were on the Lipitor, what dose were you taking and what was the best LDL you got on it?
    I ask because I think you really will need to get back on one of them. In the meantime, don't skip your daily aspirin.

Old 05-23-2004, 05:06 AM   #6
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

jtu,

Are you type I or II and do you exercise? I am just asking because of the benefits of exercise to diabetics, and the huge part that it plays in so many type II cases.

Old 05-23-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ubernier
    jtu,

Are you type I or II and do you exercise? I am just asking because of the benefits of exercise to diabetics, and the huge part that it plays in so many type II cases.
    I think I am type II, since I had a cyst removed from my pancrease 12 yrs ago. Yes I exercise every day by walking 3 to 4 miles. My endo and my gp says the walking helps. I have taken liptor at 10 mg and 20 mg. i ended up in ER and ER dr told me to stop taking liptor immediately. Well its looks like I'll have to take the zetia pain pain pain. I will probably walk very s-l-o-w. I will truly be an OLD LADY at the ripe ole age of 52.I have only been diagnosed with hc for 3 or 4 yrs. I have been diabetic for 12 yrs with no problems until I started taking lisinopril back in 1997. I have tweaked my diet alot, but it looks like it needs tweaking again . From reading the posts, cornbread, biscuits and crackers are also out. I lower my cholesterol a few months ago with out meds, but now it is back high again. Back to the drawing board. All of you gave great suggestions and I appreciate it. Because diabetics tc should not be over 100, I will take the meds. Thank you all.

Old 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM   #8
    CobaltBlue
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CobaltBlue HB User

I see the dilemma now--you are already doing what you can with exercise to help this... and statins as rahod and zip mentioned are ideal to treat the LDL problem.

As Arizona mentioned though, there might be some dietary changes that will benefit you, especially with the triglyceride level. Just keep at it though The best we can do is all we can do with the cards we are dealt.

Old 05-24-2004, 05:52 AM   #9
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

jtu,
    Why not try a LOW DOSE with another statin, perhaps simvastatin or pravastatin. They may cause you less grief than the more potent atorvastatin (Lipitor).

Though I'm loathe to recommend it because of the grief it causes me, but have you tried a trial with high dose Niacin? Buy a bottle of cheap 500 mg's at the health food store and take half a pill. See if you can bear the flush.
    If so, try to work up to 2 GRAMS/day <Oy, I can start itching just TYPING this!>

Old 05-24-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zip2play
    jtu,
    Why not try a LOW DOSE with another statin, perhaps simvastatin or pravastatin. They may cause you less grief than the more potent atorvastatin (Lipitor).

Though I'm loathe to recommend it because of the grief it causes me, but have you tried a trial with high dose Niacin? Buy a bottle of cheap 500 mg's at the health food store and take half a pill. See if you can bear the flush.
    If so, try to work up to 2 GRAMS/day <Oy, I can start itching just TYPING this!>
    Thank you. I will mention this to my dr. I will also get a bottle of niacin. Sometimes i feel hopeless. When the glucose is in range, then the bp and cholesterol isn't. When they're in range, the the glucose isn't. Only once I have gone to the dr and gotten a great report. i feel like given up, but then I know what will happen to me. In 2000 I had hardening of the artieeries and was forgeting alot of important things. Like buying groceries, paying and then leaving them in the store. It is a helpless feeling and people take advantage of the disablity. i had statins, but i like my independence. You guys/gals have been great. i definitely will stop with the cornbread and biscuits. I read a post when the poster was given a list of do's and don'ts. I wonder if i can find such a list on the internet. Thank you all for tremendous help and I will try very hard to incorporate some of these ideas into my lifestyle NOW. I am familiar with diabetes and hbp, but high cholesterol is quite new to me.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:59 PM   #11
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ARIZONA73

Arizona, I went to the dr today for bp check and got a look at my file. My tc was not 335, but 317, my hdl was 65, my ldl 225 and trigs were 139. the nurse said the trigs were not bad, she seemed impress. So my ?? is why is my gp freakin out? Will this change the ratio from 5.15? It seems i can't lower my bp or cholesterol . the only thing i've seem to be able to control with all this exercising is my weight (lost 15 more lbs) and glucose readings (6.0)

Old 06-24-2004, 06:18 AM   #12
    zip2play
    Inactive

zip2play HB User

GP is freaking out over the threatening LDL level of 225. That's REALLY high.
    (Your current TC/HDL ratio is now 4.88)

Old 06-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #13
    sunbird_owner
    (male)

sunbird_owner HB User

There is a book on lowering cholesterol with niacin by Dr. William B. Parsons, MD. It is very well written and based mostly on the patients that he has treated. The diet section is very interesting as well. My LDL went from 180 to 130.

Jay

Old 06-24-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
    jtu91952
    Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunbird_owner
    There is a book on lowering cholesterol with niacin by Dr. William B. Parsons, MD. It is very well written and based mostly on the patients that he has treated. The diet section is very interesting as well. My LDL went from 180 to 130.

Jay

Thank u Jay I will go to my local book store tomorrow and look for it. I don't think it's my diet that caused all this. As stated in previous posts, I did not have cholesterol problems until 3 yrs ago when my clinic used me as a "test subject." I picked up a copy of Diabetes Interview yesterday in my dr's office and read an article about bp meds and diabetes meds that can increase a person's cholesterol. Of course nobody's admitting it, but my endo is working with me on lowering it. Zip had mentioned that niacin causing flushing. I have gone back on my zetia and go for a new test monday. I hope with all the high fiber low fat, soy products and excercise it will be down. I will get the book though bcuz my magazine says a diabetic should not be over 100 & mine was 225.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #15
    ARIZONA73
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB UserARIZONA73 HB User

jtu91952,

Yes, high LDL can be a royal pain in the butt for a lot of people, especially if you're diabetic. I suppose you could try niacin, but since you are diabetic, you need to be careful that it doesn't elevate your blood sugar.

My father has been a type 2 diabetic for 38 years. While he was on Zocor, his numbers looked great, but the side-effects caused him to stop taking it. As expected, his cholesterol level did go back up, as did his LDL. He continued taking antioxidants and several other supplements, and his ratios continued to remain favorable. But this past January, he fell and broke a couple of bones in his back. He is still experiencing some pain and discomfort, and is unable to exercise and do his usual yard work, as he so often liked to do. I could tell that he's somewhat miserable and depressed about his current predicament. He is also becoming frustrated about keeping track of all the pills (vitamins and medications) he normally takes every day, and often opts for a single multiple vitamin instead of the usual larger dose individual supplements he had been taking. Now, due to all the stress and inactivity, his cholesterol has now risen to 268, and his LDL went from 145 to 178. His HDL also dropped, but is still at a respectable 75. And then the doctor tells him he's got a small blockage in his right carotid artery, but that it's nothing to worry about. Oh yea, like that's going to put his mind at ease.

I honestly don't know what to tell him to do anymore. I'm all out of ideas, and I can't help his situation either. I'm tempted to encourage him to try the Tower Heart Technology product, which is based on the Pauling Therapy, but seeing how annoyed he has become with keeping track of all those pills he already takes, I still haven't gotten up the courage to approach him about that. Besides, that particular formula will cost about $70 a month for the therapeutic dose. I don't know . Maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

Closed Thread